Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Volt batteries
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/17
Picture of Doorman
posted
With the sales of electric cars, Used battery packs should stat to show up on the market. I would think that conversion to the RV storage packs could some day be cost effective.

The Chevy volt battery pack weighs in at 400lb., 300volts, and 16,000 watts. 10,500 are usable watts,

The hope is in the near future to double the output at the same weight and size.

Question? Is it time to start building my 300vdc to 120vac. 5000 watt inverter, and convert the Onan to charge the 300v battery.

Doorman

1986 31' Regal -1976 Class C
454/T400 P30 -350/T400 G30
twin cntr beds - 21' rear bath

Posts: 1026 | Location: Dayton, Ohio | Member Since: 09-27-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/10
posted Hide Post
I have two electric cars. Each has 4, 12 volt 150 amp/hour batteries. Instead of paying $300 each for 8 batteries, I bought used telecom backup batteries. They have a 10 year designed life and are changed out every 2 to 3 years. I only gave $80 dollars each for them. These batteries are used in large computer or telecom situations. I found mine in Dallas. You can probably find them in most large cities. I bought 10 extra of them to set up a backup-battery pack in my basement with a large inverter.....may get into solar at some time in the future....right now, just playing with it...

Posts: 429 | Location: The Great Midwest | Member Since: 12-04-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post