Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

1977 Barth 22’
 Login now/Join our community

posted
Hi y’all just bought a 1977 Barth 22’ with 350 engine
Just wondering what transmission is in it ? I think it’s a turbo 400 but wanted to be sure before ordering parts ! It need the dipstick tube gasket .

Posts: 1 | Location: Manitoba  | Member Since: 08-22-2023Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the site. Good luck with your new project, let us know when we can help.

Some of the smaller coaches with 350 engines were equipped with a Turbo 350 transmissions. The larger coaches and those with 454 engines have Turbo 400 trans.

Look at the transmission pan. The pan on the 350s is almost square with one corner cut off at an angle. The 400 pan has a bump out on one side. (Some say it looks like Texas...?)

When I ran those transmissions, the first thing I did was pull the pan and change the fluid and filter. A messy job but gives a good look at what's in there. Probably due for it anyway unless recent maintenance records say otherwise.

Speaking of messy, dropping the pan is one of the worst jobs. Runs out all over and leaves a bunch in the pan to tip out. I always installed a drain plug in the pan. They are cheap and make the next filter change a breeze. Just drain completely, then drop the pan.

I'm beginning to think Barth Class "C" stands for Canadian! I wonder if Barth class A coaches were more difficult to import and register than the more familiar Chevrolet cab units. hmm
I know the coaches with air brakes and suspensions are subject to different regulations in Canada.

Good luck with your old gem. Every owner of a class C I have met has been happy with theirs.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5193 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/22
Picture of Ian and Lynnette
posted Hide Post
I know that there was a dealer in Calgary who handled Barths in the 1970s, probably was one in Winnipeg too. There certainly are a handful of Cs in Alberta, and a few in Manitoba and Saskatchewan for sure.

It almost feels like every Class C was a custom order, as each seems to be different. I know of one which has three gas tanks, ordered that way for a trip up the Alaska "Highway" which in the 1970s would have been an adventure.

Posts: 143 | Location: Nanton, Alberta, Canada | Member Since: 02-27-2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Very few Barths were made on spec. Not sure about early trailers, but most of the coaches were built to order. The buyer was presented with lists of floorplans and options to choose from Barth and encouraged to make upgrades. Once the buyer had made the choices the coach would be built. Almost every coach was different. I am still amazed that every Barth I have seen has been quite different, even if the same length. I think most sales were factory direct which explains the lack of Barth dealers, even then.

Some were Command Center style commercial vehicles. Again, lots of variation. So few Class Cs were made I suspect every one was custom.

Interesting to see more Barths pop up every so often. I always wonder how many are actually left in anywhere near roadworthy condition.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5193 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BarthBluesmobile
posted Hide Post
quote:
Some were Command Center style commercial vehicles.

FINE MACHINE!!!!!

This is a great machine!

Matt

1987 Barth 27' P32 Chassis
Former State Police Command Post
Chevrolet 454
Weiand Manifold, Crane Cam, Gibson Exhaust

Posts: 529 | Location: Massachusetts | Member Since: 07-28-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post