Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Minnesota Ice Palace
 Login now/Join our community

"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of davebowers
posted
I know I whine about Minnesota and there is a lot of justified reasons for that however we do have the Minnesota Ice Palace

------------------
Opportunity always knocks at the least opportune moment.

1985 28 foot Regal
Dave and Deb Bowers

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
Dave, I remember the St. Paul Winter Carnival from my childhood. I understand this is the first time in many years they've built the Ice Palace, but this one is rudimentary compared the grand creations of years before.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
You are correct Roy, this one is not as tall as the ones in the past but it is much larger in bulk. 27,000 40 inch blocks of ice. This one is the first one you could go inside of since 1942. The laser light show of course is a big thing this year. However, it has been so cold that the number of visitors is way down.

I liked the 1992 one which was the tallest ever.

http://www.winter-carnival.com/castles.html

Here is a link to pictures of all of them back to 1887.

------------------
Opportunity always knocks at the least opportune moment.

1985 28 foot Regal
Dave and Deb Bowers

[This message has been edited by davebowers (edited January 30, 2004).]

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post