Forums    General Discussions    Smallest Barth with.....
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Smallest Barth with.....
 Login now/Join our community

posted
Does anyone know the smallest (shortest)Barth that had twin or queen beds? My wife and I can't fit into a double, but desire a smaller MoHo.
Thanks!

Posts: 23 | Location: Tujunga, CA | Member Since: 03-04-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
I just looked at a 79 brochure, and 27 was the shortest twin bed coach. But, with Barth, you can never be sure, because they built a lot of one-off stuff.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
Agree w/ Bill....I researched this as best as I could when I was shopping for late '70's - early '80's unit.

27' is the shortest with dedicated sleeping space. The 21' & 24' require that something be converted to sleep.

For 21' & 24', if equipped, the front overhead bunk is the least intrusive on the other living quarters, but as I gracefully "mature", it's becoming more of a place for the younger set to bed down. (Lessons Learned: You will slide down from the bunk and rake the metal socket for the rubber-snubber across your chest only ONCE.... Frowner

Converting dinette goes fairly fast, but it's not the ideal bed - requires diagonal sleeping for most adults.....Sofa folds out easily and is more comfortable, but it plugs-up the aisle for the nightly soujourn to the little room at the rear of the coach......

Ya need to consider anything less than 27' to be more of a civilized camper than a motorhome, but for some folks, that's sufficient.

Posts: 1266 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Member Since: 09-12-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/09
Founder and Moderator Emeritus
Picture of Dave Bowers
posted Hide Post
10-4 and dittos to the 28 footer. And, I should say that the center twin setup is really great. In our case, the people who ordered the coach required a solid pocket door into the bath room so we don't feel like our heads are right next to the toilet. Yep, center twins, we like it.

Posts: 557 | Location: Eden Prairie, Minnesota | Member Since: 02-07-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
We didn't think we'd like the twins, but being high quality matresses they worked out fine. The bonus was being able to go guy camping, and after adding a 1 1/2 inch memory foam to the couch cushions and recovering them they make a great bed for Suzy and I if we're out with another couple or a couple of guys.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3482 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As I was looking around the wonderful Barth CD from Dave Bowers, I found a couple of possibles. In the PDF files there is a 1973 brochure that shows a 25' and also a 22' (plan B) with a rear lounge that could be twin berths. Has anyone ever seen these? I saw another 25' mentioned that could be ordered with twins instead of twin and closet/dresser.

Posts: 23 | Location: Tujunga, CA | Member Since: 03-04-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
our 22' 1972 "Toaster" has the rear dinette that converts into a bed that is 'larger than kingsize.' it completely fills the back compartment when converted, and is 75"L X ~85"W.

It can be awkward getting out during the night to use the ever-so-tiny bathroom that is directly forwards on the streetside.
if the Dinette is simply folded down and the roughly 2' aisle left open, the beds are 30" wide. New high density foam in the cushions makes it surprisingly comfortable as one huge bed.
Considering how lightweight all the wooden parts are back there, it seems like would be relatively simple to create a custom arrangement, although two twins would only leave about 10" down the middle.

Posts: 48 | Location: boonville,ca. | Member Since: 01-30-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Geoffrey --
That sounds like it would be a great choice for us. How does the '72 run overall? What kind of mpg do you get? 454 engine?

posted Hide Post
Well sir, we've only done the one trip from Austin, TX to Boonville, CA...about 1900 miles. Discovered a number of things that need further repair on the trip. Ours has the 350 rather than a 454. it runs suprisingly well, although perhaps a bit underpowered on long hills. it does need the front end overhauled/upgraded as it was very hard to steer and almost impossible to keep in its lane when a big truck passed us... all in good time. we averaged maybe 8mpg and took I-10 most of the way.

a 24 or 25' one would probably be more comfortable if it were similar configuration, as a larger bathroom would be very welcome. my guess is there's one out there somewhere with a floor plan you'd like...finding it may be another thing.

Posts: 48 | Location: boonville,ca. | Member Since: 01-30-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ryegal
posted Hide Post
Hi I have a 21 ft. Barth class C with a sofa bed and the dinette across that makes into a bed. I love it and have finally moved into my Barth. Donna

Proud owner of a 1975 classic class C

Posts: 94 | Location: Seattle,wa,usa | Member Since: 12-31-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post