Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

93 Barth Breakaway
 Login now/Join our community

posted
We were at the Jim turner site to look at the Barth. The best he would do is 42000 We have pictures of the rear of the coach and there does not seem to be any damage. We are concidering buying this coach. We love the floor plan , there is 51000 miles on it. There are a lot of up grades done to this coach. There is some cosmetic paint flaking, needs power steering leak repaired. My Question is . Is this coach worth this money. Will it pull my 30 ft car trailer with out problems. It's listed as 230 Hp. Just a new Barther I hope. Bill

Posts: 25 | Location: Belle Vernon Pa. | Member Since: 11-11-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Let me discuss the towing issue. Our 94 Breakaway with the 230 engine does well flat-towing our Malibu Maxx which weighs about 3400#. I have climbed some hills (I-64 from Virginia to West Virginia)where I crested the hills at well under 40 mph. Based on this experience, I would not attempt to pull my 24' car-hauler which weighs close to 9000# (with an antique Buick in the box)with this rig. I'm guessing you might get away with pulling 5000# but anything more than that would probably not be acceptable. I'm not sure what your 30 footer weighs but it probably is too much.
Stu Allen

Posts: 52 | Location: Staunton VA | Member Since: 01-27-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/08
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of Eric Herrle
posted Hide Post
For what it's worth. I have a 93 Breakaway in as good condition as you are ever going to find with all the bells, etc etc, and I know I couldn't get that much money for it.

Oh Yes, I have a Banks power pack installed and regularly tow a Honda CRV with out problems. You'll tow on the flats fine but going up hills will be slow.

Posts: 216 | Location: Kailua Kona, HI & E. Waterboro, ME | Member Since: 06-27-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys . I have a 99 dodge pick up with a little diesel in it,and a truck camper on it . It pulls My trailer with out any problems I was just wondering what everyone thought.the motor in the Barth should be a bit bigger then the Dodge? How heavy is the Barth/ Is it over 12,000# empty. Bill

Posts: 25 | Location: Belle Vernon Pa. | Member Since: 11-11-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
My Chev powered 33' '90 Regal SE weighs 17,400# loaded as we normally travel. The weight reduction of 1' shorter length in the Breakaway, is probably counterbalanced by the heavier diesel engine. My tag axle might bring my relative weight up some.

Odds are the Breakaway doesn't weigh significantly less than my Regal, certainly not 5000# less.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 9/07
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lancer:
Thanks guys . I have a 99 dodge pick up with a little diesel in it,and a truck camper on it . It pulls My trailer with out any problems I was just wondering what everyone thought.the motor in the Barth should be a bit bigger then the Dodge? How heavy is the Barth/ Is it over 12,000# empty. Bill

That 33' Breakaway GVWR is about 20,000#

Posts: 12 | Location: Columbia Station ,Ohio USA | Member Since: 02-08-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well we bought it! Jim Turner is repairing everything that we listed. The paint is something that I will take care of here at my home shop. It was recently cleaned and winterized. Filled with propane, Inspected, The 4 screw holes in the wall We figured we'd hand a barometer combo on one set the other set is still up in the air. My wife and I have an upholestering shop here also. any and all the replacement that is necessary will be done. WE do automotive and Marine (peckaloo's.com) The ladder has been replaced. Everything is in working order???? Once I figure out what everything is. The price was right at 38,888. out the door including Tax. Well I guess I'm the new guy on the block. While we were looking for a Home I told My wife when I see it I'll know it. We'll It's a Barth Where do I get extra compartment Keys? The ones we have are rounded off.All But one. Bill

[This message has been edited by lancer (edited November 17, 2004).]

posted Hide Post
Where do I get extra compartment Keys?

You might try rvsurplussalvage.com Click on surplus/salvage and they have them for $2.00 each.

Posts: 24 | Location: Andrews, IN USA | Member Since: 09-03-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
Well finally, I have always thought that this was a great coach with a super floor plan. If you are so inclined you shouldn't have a problem kicking that baby up to around 300hp. I can't wait to see what you do with the upholstery. Most Barths had Southco locks. I think you have those barrel things with the hollow round keys? Frankly, I would just go to a good locksmith. If you have one with a number on it you are way ahead. If not the locksmith should be able to help you. Now when I say a good lock smith I mean one who isn't too lazy to look in his books. If one guy ignores you go to another.

Don't think of yourself as a new guy, think of yourself as a fortunate guy. I have a feeling you are going to love this coach. Not only do you have a comfortable floorplan, but it is the perfect size for going just about anywere. Very, Very Cool

------------------

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
Try www.clancey.com for Southco locks, but their catalog is difficult to navigate - too many products, and not enough description if you don't know the exact nomenclature of the part you're looking for.

A phone call would probably work best.

If your locks are like mine, the mechanism is worn and rounded, as well as the keys. I plan to replace all 12 of them.

[This message has been edited by olroy (edited November 17, 2004).]

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/11
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
Picture of Jack
posted Hide Post
I posted this a while ago, hope this helps.
quote:
Originally posted by Jack:
Ok Dale, don’t wish for something you may not want. I was holding this post for more info, but I’ll use the quiet time on the board for my post. OK, here I go.

I recently purchased some replacement latches for my bay doors. Found them at Southco.
The ones I purchased were Grey powder coat, and have the ‘Tubular key’. The pawl I got (which I ordered was offset, and I really wanted and needed straight, but the best guess for part number got what I got.
The part number I ordered was E3 65 715 75 and the correct one probably is to change the ‘715’ to ‘735’ but that is a guess in the fact that I emailed the company earlier and have no answer to this part number question. The company I bought them from was www.clancey.com and I paid about $107 for 6 latches and 3 keys.
The key part number is E3-5-15.

------------------
89 Barth Regal 32
Runs like a Deere
New Hampshire

Posts: 369 | Location: North Troy, Vermont | Member Since: 08-30-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 01/08
Picture of Deb&Eds38
posted Hide Post
I bought locks from a Southco dealer in Atlanta. The locks that fit my bus were part# E3 35 35 732783 and they had the straight bar. The price was about the same but I had to buy a whole box 16Pcs. I replaced all of them with a few spares. You really need to get a number of spare keys as they don't last that long and when they do strip out it's never at the right time and place.

Ed.

Posts: 357 | Location: Ortona- Turkey Creek Florida | Member Since: 10-04-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
Picture of Bill G
posted Hide Post
Regarding those keys. I got one of the larger brass keys from Southco and then took an old screwdriver and boiled it to soften the plastic handle. I then pulled the screwdriver shaft out and let it cool. I then cut a slot in the handle to fit the key and pressed it into the handle. I then sawed and filed the protruding wings of the key to make a screwdriver like tool with a key on the end. I screwed a cup hook just inside the entry door on the wall and hang the key there. This is extremely convenient and keeps the key straight when being used which prevents much damage and wear.

This was not really hard to do and you will really like the new key.

Bill G

Posts: 515 | Location: West Springfield, Massachusetts, United States | Member Since: 08-31-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the idea. Finially got the barth home today. had to replace a relay for the rear lights, 2,landing light bulbs, now I have the wonderful time to figure the wiring on the back TV. I can't get it to work with the wire pluged in to the antenna socket. I have a wiring nightmare in the front for the TV VCR, . It drives like a dream. Handels extremely well in traffic. power out the Kazoo. Bill