Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

cold bridges in alum frame
 Login now/Join our community

posted
Interesting pictures of Barth framework. Thanks Dave for the info. Question: does the alum. framework contribute to "cold bridging"? We live full-time in our motorhome and have had coaches with metal framework (Apollo) that transmitted cold to the inside ceiling and walls during extreme weather outide. Does Barth do anything to prevent this? Thank for all replies--newbie trying to learn about Barths.

Posts: 20 | Location: Marlton, NJ, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
You are probably right about that. We have never camped below 20 deg F. At that temp, we notice the window glass and frames transmit much more cold than the walls. I can't tell by touching the walls where the frames are, perhaps due to the insulating value of the luan panels. But, there can be no doubt that the aluminum frame channels will conduct cold. I should add that there is a thick layer of fiberglass insulation in the walls. Perhaps this is a drawback of an all metal coach. A foam/fiberglass outside wall would be better, at least as long as it held up.

Maybe interior panels of a foam board composite would be the solution for a metal-framed and skinned coach. If I ever remove my wall panels, I believe I will reinstall them with 3M foam double face tape. That is how some semi trailer sides are secured now.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
I don't know about that Bill. When we first bought our coach, I was a little silly and had a habit of spending a few evenings in the coach reading and watching TV. We have a lot of trees around us and our yard is very much like a campground. I stayed out there until late october and I never saw condensation on the studs. There must be some kind of insulation in between the studs and the luan. I'll dig behind my toilet, I think I can see the interior of the wall back there, plus I lost my tooth brush...

------------------

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post