Forums    General Discussions    How much wind??
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

How much wind??
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/22
Picture of Dana
posted
So I am at the Lake Vermillion in Northern Minnesnowta. Scattered Thunderstorms and wind. It's 88 degrees and going higher. How much wind before you put down the awnings? The sun hitting the windows is making it hot. 25 mph is expected. I'd like to hear your opinions.

Dana & Lynn
1997 38ft Monarch front entry
Spartan Mountain Master Chassis
Cummins 8.3 325hp
Allison MD-3060 6 speed
22.5 11R
Cummins Factory Exhaust Brake
8000 watt Quiet Diesel Generator
9608-M0022-38MI-4C
Christened Midnight

1972 22ft
72081169MC22C
Christened Camp Barth

Posts: 1384 | Location: Waseca, Minnesota | Member Since: 12-09-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
Main awning I keep up in any significant wind as it has no way to dump the air pressure and can bend or break. The window awnings (ZipDee) I've had up in winds that finally unhooked them and they retracted on their own. I feel comfortable keeping the window awnings out in fairly significant gusts (like 30MPH). I'm lucky that the Wanderlodge has a window awning under the main awning for sun.

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/11
Picture of lenny and judy
posted Hide Post
i use flappers on the awnings the wind could rip your canvas zipDes have one or two lock downs but put one tie down on the side support. We Had one lift up from lake wind getting under the awning. (I guess)
lenny

lenny and judy
32', Regency, Cummins 8.3L, Spartan Chassis, 1992
Tag# 9112 0158 32RS 1B

Posts: 790 | Location: Naples Florida,g.g. | Member Since: 02-06-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
I extend our A&E awning all the way. Then slide the top bars out till they are latched. Then I roll up the awning until the top bars are fully retracted. I don't bother to screw the black knobs tight on the top bars. Then I extend the main arms just enough to give us a good view of the horizon from inside.

This gives decent shade and gives us rain shelter, but doesn't offer very much sail area. We have survived some terrific desert gusts with no problem. I cant give wind mph observations, but others near us with full out-awnings had tears or pulled-out lag screws. This has happened several times.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/22
Picture of Dana
posted Hide Post
I have A&E Elite 9000. Bill looking at the mechanics of what you are saying that would shorten things up and create less sail. Do you raise just enough to clear the door?

Lenny,
I have seen deflappers I did not understand what they were intended to do. Now I can see the use. All storms went around us again. Thumbs Up

Corey
I had a Foretravel next to me today and he had the stacked awnings so I see what you are talking about. Sweet.

I was hoping for a nice steady downpour to wash the Arizona dust out of the awnings. I guess I'll have to use the hose Big Grin

Dana & Lynn
1997 38ft Monarch front entry
Spartan Mountain Master Chassis
Cummins 8.3 325hp
Allison MD-3060 6 speed
22.5 11R
Cummins Factory Exhaust Brake
8000 watt Quiet Diesel Generator
9608-M0022-38MI-4C
Christened Midnight

1972 22ft
72081169MC22C
Christened Camp Barth

Posts: 1384 | Location: Waseca, Minnesota | Member Since: 12-09-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dana:
I have A&E Elite 9000. Bill looking at the mechanics of what you are saying that would shorten things up

It also makes things less flexible.

quote:
and create less sail. Do you raise just enough to clear the door?

Well, that is a by product. Since we are surrounded by foothills and mountains here, if I raise it high enough to get the best view, the door clears anyway. I think I remember having the awning lower in other locations, and making sure the door cleared. We have a wheel, but I feel better if it doesn't rub.

quote:

I was hoping for a nice steady downpour to wash the Arizona dust out of the awnings.

You shoulda stood in AZ a little longer. We have nightly lightning shows and downpours.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Some of the newer awnings, the kind that have no rails, either self dump excessive air pressure or have power features with wind sensors. We were parked next to a rig at the DC gathering a few days before the Barths showed up that had an accordion-like arm setup and even the slightest gust made it fold up and then it self extended again. I would love to upgrade my main awning to one of these but they're mega-bucks I think.

Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
I would love to upgrade my main awning to one of these but they're mega-bucks I think.

If you like the reliability of levellers, you'll love the dependability of the "auto-retract" awnings. You're right about the cost - to repair the coach when they fail to retract automatically. Had two friends with these failing to close in wind. One of those friends and I spent a half hour trying to get one awning to close so he could get underway.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Were they the electronic retract or the manual(accordion) style?

posted Hide Post
Bill, the Az. monsoon lightning shows are pretty spectacular aren't they. Big Grin

Posts: 878 | Location: Left side, top to bottom and back again. :>) | Member Since: 09-08-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Moonbeam-Express:
Were they the electronic retract or the manual(accordion) style?

Electronic with the scissors beams.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
One reason I like my AE8000 is with a little practice it can be rolled up in seconds. My rule of thumb is take no chances. If a storm may be within minutes, roll it up. If you're leaving for an extended time, roll it up. If you're leaving at all, roll it up. If it's a big hassle, practice until it's not. It shouldn't take more than 15 seconds in a fire drill situation. Most important, DON'T WAIT till the last minute! Just roll it up.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3480 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post