Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

NASCAR on the road
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/12
Picture of Nick Cagle
posted
As many of you Nascar fans know the race last weekend was in Texas and this weekend it will be in Talledaga. Interstate 20 is the direct route between the two race sites. Monday, Donna and I traveled I-20 from Georgia to Louisiana. The east bound traffic was full of NASCAR.

If you figure that there are about 50 Sprint Cup teams, 50 Nationwide teams, and 50 Camping World truck teams, That is 150 car haulers making the trip. Add an equal amount of support haulers for souvenir and merchandise vendors, The Speed Channel, ESPN, Fox Broadcasting, Goodyear Tires, Radio communications and others. It made for quite a parade.

In addition to all the haulers, the Motorhomes were just as impressive. Dozens of huge multimillion dollar motorhomes, all towing a pickup truck, and a golf cart loaded in the back of the truck.

The caravan seem to run in groups of 5 or 6 units traveling together.

On Tuesday we traveled from Monroe to Shreveport and passed a few more that must have stayed in Texas an extra day.

All in all, quite an impressive move of equipment from track to track. Wonder how much Diesel was purchased for that trip?

Nick

Posts: 1732 | Location: Harlem, GA | Member Since: 09-17-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/10
Picture of Marvin+Doris
posted Hide Post
OK, assuming 800 miles, 6mpg, 150 trucks comes to roughly 19950 Gallons at 3.95 a gallon comes to $78,000 ....

1999 Bluebird Custom 33' 8.3 Cummins diesel pusher

Former owner 1989 Barth Regal 25'

Posts: 1313 | Location: Big South Fork TN | Member Since: 09-29-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
I chuckle even now thinking back to the gas crisis in the 80s that came down big on racing because of the bad mileage the cars got on the track. This is exactly why are politicians and rabble rousers are easy to spot as such morons. The gas used on the raceway is but a drop in the bucket compared to the fuel used for the teams and fans to get there, yet it was too difficult math for them I guess.

We were at the Sebring 12hr a few weeks ago. Easily 150,000 fans there for 4 days. Racing is certainly an industry cheers

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
I rarely have gone through a week lately without hearing some know-it-all say, "If they'd just open up drilling in the Gulf and everywhere else with no restrictions, gas would drop to a buck a gallon in a week", like this has any bearing on the reality of futures, stocks, and the investments of the people who are really in charge of such things.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3480 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/11
Picture of Bruce & Kathleen
posted Hide Post
The government has to put a stop on gas and oil options that were originally created as a hedge for large users. Now anybody can buy them and most never exercise them, they just sell them for a profit nono. Wait, did I just say the government has to stop rich people from getting richer hmm? What the hell am I thinking head bang?
Sorry for the thread drift...just venting!

9303 3855 33BS 1B
Bruce & Kathleen
1993 33' Front Entrance Breakaway
230HP Cummins 5.9, Allison 6 speed, Spartan Chassis, Nicely Optioned

Posts: 616 | Location: New Jersey | Member Since: 04-01-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/10
Picture of Marvin+Doris
posted Hide Post
if the same trucks fueled in Nevada (4.23/gal) instead of TN (3.95) the same trip costs $ 84,568. Would you like to know how much tax flows into the states treasure chest of off that ???

1999 Bluebird Custom 33' 8.3 Cummins diesel pusher

Former owner 1989 Barth Regal 25'

Posts: 1313 | Location: Big South Fork TN | Member Since: 09-29-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BarthBluesmobile
posted Hide Post
Bruce, no apologies needed for venting!

But if you want to vent about something, consider this:
- Treasury and Fed policy mandated "Quantitative Easing"
- In other words, they printed more money
- this printing continues to weaken the value of your savings
- the newly printed money was given to large banks, hedge funds, and so forth, in an effort to stimulate the economy
- those managers decided the best investment was in the oil/gasoline futures market
- fuel prices up, and rather than stimulate the economy, the real effect is the opposite

Vent away!
Matt

1987 Barth 27' P32 Chassis
Former State Police Command Post
Chevrolet 454
Weiand Manifold, Crane Cam, Gibson Exhaust

Posts: 528 | Location: Massachusetts | Member Since: 07-28-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post