Forums    General Discussions    Found a Barth, is it worth it?
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Found a Barth, is it worth it?
 Login now/Join our community

posted
I found a 1976 Barth with 65K miles, 350 Chevy, 22' (Class C??? Chevy Van type front end) In great to excelent condition. All paper work, Still has the original plastic covering the original carpet! The couch/bed cushions look new! Everything from the generator to the Roof air works great, don't think the oven was ever used! The original owner sold it last December, the man that has it now is moving out of state and can't take it with him. Drives/runs like new! So...Is it worth $6000???

Thank you in advance, Reed

Posts: 4 | Location: Luray, VA | Member Since: 07-19-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
Any rig that age is worth what you're willing to pay.

No RV is an investment, it's a toy - a device to give you pleasure. If you receive anything like your investment in return when you sell it, it will be a miracle. Just think what you'd lose in depreciation the moment you drove a new one off the lot.

Used Barths (and all other RVs) of any age and price are going to have deferred maintenance. The fewer problems you find in cosmetics, coach equipment, and mechanics, the less you'll have to do to put in the condition you want. This one sounds like it's in great shape to start.

If you think it meets your needs, get it checked out by a competent mechanic, then make the guy an offer. Cash talks loudly to a seller who's leaving town. You can always go up to meet him if he won't come down.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
I always say, if you can only afford a $6K coach then you cant afford a $6K coach.

But I have to say that I really like those Barth Class C's. You wanna really see A Barth Class C. Look here...

------------------

[This message has been edited by davebowers (edited July 19, 2004).]

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
Dave, You talk like 6 grand isn't much. I'm almost embarrassed to say that my Euro checked out perfect all the way around except one exhaust donut, the twin 5000 Onan is perfect, and I might replace the two outside rear tires due to a tiny bit of weather checking, but everything else top to bottom is fine. I paid a whopping 7 grand for this coach. I figure if you find what you want and can get it right, it's a deal.

Posts: 3480 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
Danny, I'd say you done real good.

Where was all this good, inexpensive stuff when I bought my sow's ear coach last Jan.? It'll be a silk purse when I get done, and the updating hasn't cost a bundle of money (yet) but man, the work I've put into it, and the work that's yet to do.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
We can't wait to see the results olroy. Labors of love seem to turn out as they should.

Posts: 3480 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
olroy,

How's your 'to do' list doing? The more I do, the longer the my list gets.

Dennis

------------------

Posts: 42 | Location: Loudon, TN, United States | Member Since: 12-23-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/08
Picture of Eric Herrle
posted Hide Post
If this helps, I sold Barth 1 about three years ago for $6700. on Ebay. It was a 1976 21' Class A in about as good condition as you would find with 31K original miles on it.

Posts: 216 | Location: Kailua Kona, HI & E. Waterboro, ME | Member Since: 06-27-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all, I think I gonna buy it, It has been well taken care of and in real good shape, plus I just don't like the new motor homes.

Posts: 4 | Location: Luray, VA | Member Since: 07-19-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
Dennis in TN, I've finished 30, and the list's holding at 45. Only two more critical ones, and we'll be off for a week or two for a short local hop to a couple favorite places. I need a break.

Most of what's left is cosmetic, though three (Hellwig in the front, plus Bilsteins & Gear Vendors) are desirable but not absolutely necessary. They, and repairing/replacing the back-up camera are pricey as well.

The only 3 figure items so far have been a new speedo, tach, gas struts for the o.h. cabinets, and materials to repair the fuel filler hose. (about $500 total) The rest has been nickel and dime (belay that -more like $5 and$10), mainly paint, stain, varnish and painting supplies.

If I run out of steam before the wish list is finished, it won't be the first time, but I've done enough interior refinishing so what isn't completed looks ratty in comparison. I'll finish that for sure, before summer's over. Got a little body work to do as well - the dreaded corroding exterior storage compartment doors - fortunately,only one.

The toughest remaining job is replacing the headliner. It's darn near impossible to successfully install loose fabric overhead, so I'll probably do what another member has posted, and strip the sagging fuzzy fabric (hate to do it - it's beautiful material), get door skins, cut panels to fit, cover with vinyl, put 'em up, and finish the edges with quarter-round. I dread the job, and will probably hire one of the grand kids to help.

I guess I'm having fun, at least that's what I keep telling myself.

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/19
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
There was an ad from Virginia beach for a Class C 1990 Barth @ $12,500. But, the phone number given was invalid.
There was an ad from Florida:
Tallahassee, FL
1975 19' Barth Class C, Low Miles, Chevy 350 with RV Cam, Honda Water Cool, 4KW Generator, $4,500; 850-997-5052.
The one you found sounds exceptional.
I can send you a scan of a Barth C model brochure from that era.

quote:
Originally posted by findreed:
I found a 1976 Barth with 65K miles, 350 Chevy, 22' (Class C??? Chevy Van type front end) In great to excelent condition. All paper work, Still has the original plastic covering the original carpet! The couch/bed cushions look new! Everything from the generator to the Roof air works great, don't think the oven was ever used! The original owner sold it last December, the man that has it now is moving out of state and can't take it with him. Drives/runs like new! So...Is it worth $6000???

Thank you in advance, Reed

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Worth it? Wow, what a loaded question! I bought an 84 36' Regency and have put HU
NDREDS of hours into fixing stuff... granted, I might "fix" stuff that's not "broken"... what I really mean is that I am just "going through" the whole thing... rust-proofing, lubing, changing gaskets, seals, hoses, belts, etc. etc. etc.

Like olroy, my work stuff does not cost a lot, in parts and such, but if I were to have had to pay a shop for the labor that I have done, heck, I might as well have bought a newer coach. Well, I did just buy two new captains chairs, but I got a deal... couldn't help myself, etc.

Any BARTH is worth fixing up, only because they were built so well to start with.

Good Luck, Dute

Posts: 159 | Location: Newington, CT USA | Member Since: 06-02-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
Hi Danny,

I know this is a belated response, and I know I ain't anyone's daddy but Chris, Matt and Libby. But I know that a ton of you guys are "guy, guys". Like in that movie "6 Day 7 Nights" when Anne Heche says to Harrison Ford. "Aren't you one of those guy guys, who can take a ruler and a screw driver and build a mall?" If you ain't a "guy guy", who like Dennis Broderson, who swapped out his alternator in a Walmart parking lot. Then you better have thick wallet. I know that there are examples of people who bought a 1972 25 footer and drove from San Diego to Maine and back without a hitch. But there are others like me who have never.....that is never gone on a trip with out an "expensive" problem.

We've got a minimum of $30K in this $15K motorhome. Now, I know that there are zero $30K motorhomes out there that I would want more. But like Deb says, for the dozen or so trips we have taken in this thing we could have flown and stayed in 4 star hotels.

So this is my offering to the "truth in advertizing" effort. This is as I just got the call that the brake job I spent $600 on almost 2 years ago (no warrenty) was done incorrectly so I need another $700.00 (we use good better loaded calipers than the other guy) brake job to fix the jerk to the right everytime I step on the brakes.

Well I hope Deb is right that eventually we will replace everything on this baby and it will be like having a new coach.

Like I say, "if you can only afford a $6K motorhome there is no way that you can afford a $6K motorhome....."

------------------

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
She who must be obeyed
and
me, Ensign 3rd crass
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
posted Hide Post
Dave:

A good number of break systems adjust when you back up and hit the breaks. Try this about ten times and see if your pull goes away.

That will be five dollars.

Timothy

Posts: 282 | Location: Studio City, California | Member Since: 02-07-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well she is finally here and all mine! The only thing I found so far is the stock Chevy marker lights are cracked/dry rotted and I ordered 4 new ones today for under $40. She will go on the maiden voyage in about 3 weeks. We are loading the essentials now and can hardly wait! Thanks for all the input and I will keep you up to date!

Reed