Forums    General Discussions    One built every 55 minutes??
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

One built every 55 minutes??
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of Doug Smiley
posted
Sometimes speedy workmanship is good ....

http://xa.yimg.com/kq/groups/1...ame/bomber_plant.wmv

The 82 MCC {by Barth}
is not an rv--
it is a Motor Coach!!

Posts: 2587 | Location: Nova Scotia | Member Since: 12-08-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/19
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
slightly more than one hour East from where I now live. There is still a lot of defense contract work in Michigan, but no longer at Willow Run.

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
I used to service IBM machines in the Willow Run Assembly plant (early 80's) Some of the old airplane stuff remained. That plant shows what a determined US middle class with good manufacturing infrastructure is capable of. When Hermann Goering saw 1000 bombers over Europe, shot down 200 and got 1000 more the next day, he knew Germany was cooked.

I think you can still go out on the old ramp behind the plant and find the huge tiedown rings where they chained down the B-17's, fresh off the line, for full power runups. If nothing leaked or broke the ferry pilots flew them to Canada, Greenland, Iceland and northern UK.

Sadly, the Yankee Air Force hangar at the NE corner of the field burned down a few years ago. A few project planes were lost, most aircraft were OK. Tons of history was lost though.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5183 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/10
Picture of Patch1st
posted Hide Post
quote:
slightly more than one hour East from where I now live.

Wow.... It's about 40/45 minutes west from me...

Click for Saint Clair Shores, Michigan Forecast

Patch1st
35' Regency
MCC Chassis
8.2 Detroit Diesel
"Partly Cloudy"

Posts: 455 | Location: Michigan | Member Since: 10-17-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/19
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
I know your area a little bit too. We go up to Detroit Tuned on 15 Mile for holiday parties and for mod's to the MINI.

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post