Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

The Best Decade
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/12
Picture of Nick Cagle
posted Hide Post
I just lost an Uncle last week. He was 85 years old and one of the most important people in my life. Someone I looked up to and wanted to pattern my life after. He was born in the 20's and raised during the great depression. Served 20 years in the Navy during WWII, Korea, and Viet Nam. He retired from the city of Los Angeles and returned to his roots in North Louisiana to enjoy his retirement years. This means he lived through all these trial and tribulations on 8 plus decades and in two different centuries. Why am I telling you all this? Just to build up to his favorite comment. Whenever I would see him, probably the first thing, I always asked "How's it going Unk". His answer never changed, never waivered. "Living the Good Life, nephew, how about yourself".

Nick

In Memory of William T. Cagle, ENC, USN Retired.

Posts: 1732 | Location: Harlem, GA | Member Since: 09-17-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nick Cagle:
In Memory of William T. Cagle, ENC, USN Retired.
cheers

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/15
Picture of stringmann
posted Hide Post
I am a jazz musician, and last week played at a remarkable event at a nursing home. Cpl. Dorothy Turner, USMC, seems to be heading for heaven soon. When the local Marines heard about this (notified by son, my buddy and piano player, and aware of her 50+ yrs of help with toys for tots), they sent a troop out + we scheduled a party. They brought a float and reenacted the raising of the flag on Mt Suribachi. They brought certificates + testimonials to honor her. There were many WWII, Korea + Nam vets, male and female, in uniform from all around to show thanks for her, and their service. I do music at nursing homes when I am on the road, and esp on patriotic holidays. It is tough to keep singing when I start the Star Spangled Banner, America or God Bless America and see many of the patients automatically struggle to stand from their wheelchairs---even some who clearly have dementia, and don't speak----they seem to have a hard wiring of this kind of respect. And this happened that day last wk. I was so glad to be there, to watch the visiting teen agers and great grandkids, see something that I think characterized my parents' generation. When the Marines spontaneously did a roll call, which included her husband and son, both Marines, I wondered if I had enough room in my priveleged soul for what I was seeing. And then the laughter and dancing (even in wheelchairs) to some of the jazz tunes and Marines antics + cheers were icing on the cake.
I agree with my confreres above that 'the best decade' is probably in the eye(s) of the beholder. And someone said nostalgia is a view of the past shorn of its conflict; but when I attend an event like this, or see a remarkable car or machine made by these folks, or sing the song "Skylark", released on Dec. 7, 1941---I keep thinking I need a better appreciation for the gifts these folks gave me and my country. [Ps, thanks to the books "Flags of our Fathers" and "Flyboys" too.}

Posts: 118 | Location: Atlanta, GA USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/11
posted Hide Post
I have to agree the 50's was a special time, The cars, music, furniture, architecture, people, list goes on. I have a 1950 Farmall tractor that still purrs like a kitten. Great craftsmanship back than, house is full of antiques from the fifties (wife keeps bringing it home).

I was born in 1956 grew up in the 60's and I look back at the time when you could walk or ride your bike anywhere didn't need to lock anything, no one had a fenced in yard unless they had a pool. The neighborhoods were safe the Dad's made sure it was. You played pick-up games of baseball, football, kickball, any open field would do! You could go anywhere and do anything you wanted.

Prosperity grew threw the 70's, 80's, and early 90's. All you had to do is be willing to work and learn on the job. Everything fell in place, family, work, and recreation. The middle class rocked in them days our Fathers started something great.

Now I really worry about my kids and grandkids. College grads can't find a decent job. I don't even know what's out there for non-grads.

Jim you started something fun here, enjoyed reading all the post.

And I'm going to steal a quote from Nicks Uncle "I'm living the Good Life, fellas, how about you all" He sounds allot like my dad Nick, my dad passed away three years ago and man do I miss talking to him.

Posts: 259 | Location: SouthWest MI | Member Since: 08-12-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/11
Picture of Bruce & Kathleen
posted Hide Post
All the decades after the "Great Depression" were good ones until we hit the "Great Recession" three years ago, which would have been a depression had the banking industry failed like it did in 1929. Actually, it probably would have been worse than what our parents and grandparents experienced in 1929.
Wars have been around since the beginning of The United States of America, some worse than others. So that part of living here, as devasting as it is, has never really changed.
But the economy and quality of life was still like no where else through the 30', 40's, 50's, 60's, 70's, 80's and 90's. As the decades changed, life styles did also. From the challange of rebuilding after the depression to the "Ozzie and Harriet" lifestyle of the 50's to the "Hippie" age of the 60's and 70's to the "Spoiled" lifestyle of the 80's and 90's. But we adapted and forged forward. Unfortunately, it all came to a big bubble that blew up in the last decade. The past 3-4 years is not one that most of us were prepared for and it has put a cramp on most of our plans and dreams. Now, if we can just get out of this funk we are in now and move on once again.
If history repeats itself (and it does), the children of today might actually be in a very good position in the future, just as the children born in the early 30's were. Yes, parents struggle to survive, but the children made it through and into better times. Better times cannot come quick enough for me. It wasn't supposed to be this way, was it? After working 45 of the 55 years I have been on this earth, I'd like to retire someday and try to enjoy life without having to get up and go to work.....

9303 3855 33BS 1B
Bruce & Kathleen
1993 33' Front Entrance Breakaway
230HP Cummins 5.9, Allison 6 speed, Spartan Chassis, Nicely Optioned

Posts: 616 | Location: New Jersey | Member Since: 04-01-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post