Tools
Reply To This Topic

The Best Decade
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted
Riding from Tennessee to North Carolina today, I listened to an hour of music from the 50's. When that decade started, I was 12 and when it ended, I was 21. I decided it was the best decade ever. The music was full of romance and hope, the country still had it's innocence, sort of, Ike was in the White House, we had kept the North Koreans from taking over South Korea, the middle class growth exploded, the gap between rich and poor was never as narrow, credit cards hadn't been invented so people bought things when they had the money, and you could let your kids roam around town without the fear of bad things happening. Yes, I know things were not good for certain groups, particularly African Americans in the South. But, by comparison, it was the best decade ever, and the Greatest Generation ever made it that way. What do you all think?
Jim (Obviously)

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/12
Picture of Nick Cagle
posted Hide Post
Jim, if there was someway to emphasize my agreement more than just saying so, I would.

Nick

Posts: 1732 | Location: Harlem, GA | Member Since: 09-17-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Used to listen to the top 100 Sunday afternoons; 580 WDAE Norfolk. "Baron Bebop" was the DJ.

Took dates in our '55 Studebaker PU - such a novelty then people used to come look at the pickup...

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/09
posted Hide Post
As a younger guy here (born in the 70's) and looking back at representations of the 50's, I too have to agree. I absolutely love classic cars and own a '69 Pontiac Executive, but there are a number of 1950's and maybe early 60's cars that define "classic" even more.

Not to mention music and all the other reasons you brought up. Wink

Posts: 374 | Location: Illinois | Member Since: 10-09-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
It seems like a simpler time, ideally placed in a period where there is just enough technology to make life easier, but not so much that people are over-aware of the things going wrong.

The problem with our Ozzie and Harriet memory is that it wasn't true for that many people. Certainly in the world arena there was massive corruption, famine, disease, rampant pollution and poverty for well over 3/4 of the globe's inhabitants. It was a time for the "haves" to wax nostalgic. It was seeding the fields of discontent for the "have nots".

OK, sorry for the wet blanket. I'm a child of the 50s (very late 50s!!), but grew up in much more tumultuous times (Vietnam, hippies, Cold War). My parents were the "Nelsons" or aspired to be. Mom was a women slave, Dad an office slave, kids were to be seen and not heard from. Yuk!!!!!!!!!!!

In the 60s we became forever changed by a thing called "Reality". Our ideal picture became stained by technological breakthroughs in media. We could no longer deny what was happening in the world around us.

I think it's great to think back on the simpler times if you were lucky enough to have them, but I beg you to see behind the curtain lest we repeat the same mistakes that had eventual and unintended consequences.

We should all have good times to remember, that would be a near perfect world.

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Clem&Pat
posted Hide Post
I was born in the 1940. I loved the late 1950 great time great cars and songs on the radio. Remember the Castle drive in in Greensboro NC

Posts: 16 | Location: Pittsboro, N.C. | Member Since: 03-24-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichieC
posted Hide Post
Hi, Jim. I was born in 1960, so the only reference I have to the 1950's was from listening to my elders. We did that back then. My Grandfather was born in 1899 and was a wealth of knowledge; I was always interested in hearing about working for the Canadian Pacific Railway, a fireman then eventually an engineer.
In the early '60's children still listened to their elders and were mindful and had respect. It boggles my mind these days when a 10 yr old is allowed to interupt a conversation and the parents act like the kid has every right to be needy and rude.
I guess I'm an "old guy" now. Wink

Posts: 150 | Location: Nanaimo, B.C. | Member Since: 04-12-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/21
posted Hide Post
if this is the third message like this, I goofed. Twice before this I was composing and clicked somewhere accidentally and the notes disappeared.
I'll try again.
OK! OK! I was born in 1931. All 8 decades have had good times and there were bad times. The good times were appreciated and enjoyed, the bad times we coped. I can hardly recall details of most of the bad times, except for lessons learned. I am greatful for what I have and have had and I plan to enjoy life for a long time.
God is great! Beer is good. cheers And people are crazy. confusion
Be thankful you live in the USA!

#1 29' 1977parted out and still alive in Barths all over the USA

Posts: 1028 | Location: Floral City FL | Member Since: 04-25-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FKA: noble97monarch
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
Dick,

When they say you can't keep a good man down, they were thinking of you Thumbs Up

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of ccctimtation
posted Hide Post
One possible perspective on why we might think this way.
Year 1950 World Population 2,555,982,611
Year 2010 World Population 6,840,423,256

http://www.npg.org/facts/world_pop_year.htm

Posts: 1068 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Member Since: 10-09-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
One possible perspective on why we might think this way.
Year 1950 World Population 2,555,982,611
Year 2010 World Population 6,840,423,256

It is getting a little crowded around here.
........trouble is ....some of these damn old fogies are living to long and taking up space! Big Grin

Posts: 1028 | Location: Floral City FL | Member Since: 04-25-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of carlflack
posted Hide Post
Carefull there Dicky Boy, I could take umbrage with that kind of talk..................

Former owner of "THE TOY"
1988 Barth Regal SE 33' Tag
1992 Barth Breakaway 32'
2005 Coachmen Mirada 32' DS

Posts: 592 | Location: North Fort Myers, Florida, USA | Member Since: 11-20-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Those population figures are amazing. Never saw them before.

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/13
Picture of herbjohns
posted Hide Post
Every age, generation, time has its 'reality'. For some it happened long before the 60's. Just ask an Army Air Corps B-17 crewman flying over Nazi Germany, or a GI landing on Normandy, or a Marine landing on Iwo Jima, or a sailor on the Arizona on 12/7/41.
I loved the 50s. As well as the 30s, 40s, 60s, etc.
Tim hit on it. This would be a great place if it weren't for all the people...
Still...the 50s were great!
Live life

Herb Johns

1989 32' Regency, Cat 3208TA, Gillig Chassis

1989 32' Regency (RDG-B)
Gillig Chassis
Cat 3208TA
Sanger, CA, USA

~ ~Data Tag~ ~
8901-0113-32RDG-B

Posts: 75 | Location: Sanger, CA, USA | Member Since: 06-18-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Carefull there Dicky Boy, I could take umbrage with that kind of talk..................

sorry SorryCarl, I didn't mean fogies, I meant geezers! ROTFLMAO Herb Johns hit the nail on the head. wack