Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

In Light Of Memorial Day
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of Eric D.
posted
To those who have served in our nations armed forces or,who have family members serving currently,THANK YOU.

Posts: 44 | Location: Bay Area | Member Since: 02-21-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/10
Picture of Patch1st
posted Hide Post
quote:
To those who have served in our nations armed forces or,who have family members serving currently,THANK YOU.

Very well said Eric.... And might I add "ditto"...

Click for Saint Clair Shores, Michigan Forecast

Patch1st
35' Regency
MCC Chassis
8.2 Detroit Diesel
"Partly Cloudy"

Posts: 455 | Location: Michigan | Member Since: 10-17-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Ditto for THANK YOU. (also, maybe bring em all home? please?)

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5187 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
Memorial Day is for the remembrance of our men and women who have fought and died for our country and to protect our way of life.

Freedom isn't free, somebody paid for it!!! Their sacrifice should be remembered daily. God Bless the United States Military, our Allies, and other unsung heroes both here and abroad.

From wikipedia:
Memorial Day is a United States federal holiday observed on the last Monday of May (May 30 in 2011). Formerly known as Decoration Day, it commemorates U.S. men and women who died while in the military service. First enacted to honor Union soldiers of the American Civil War (it is celebrated near the day of reunification after the civil war), it was expanded after World War I to include American casualties of any war or military action.

< Picture credit:
< Cox & Forkum Editorial Cartoons

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
From those of us who have served, make no mistake, to have done so is a privelege.

Not all are afforded the opportunity, so those of who have had it, service is a special commitment that none of us took lightly.

And none of us ever forget our brethren who are no longer with us to celebrate the victories they enabled.

I'll single out only one, my USNA roommate of 2 years, LCOL Robin F. (Rocky) Wirsching, USMC, deceased.

M. S. Keeney, CAPT (SW) USNR, (retd.) - 1960-1994

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
What Heroes Gave

by Roger Robicheau

Each donned their uniform to be
Defenders of our liberty

Their mission sure, their spirits bright
Guard freedom’s home, be brave to fight

One final day each faced their call
Each gave their best enduring all

We’ll never know what they went through
But know they loved this country true

Deep down inside we should all feel
What heroes gave, their cost so real

We must stay thankful, grateful of
The gift of freedom through their love

Their loved ones bore the gravest pain
What we can’t know, some now sustain

To God I pray their pain will cease
And each will find long-lasting peace

Remember this from year to year
What heroes gave – shan’t disappear

We’ll never let their special day
Their time for honor slip away

These brave fought for a nation free
If not for them, where would we be?

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/21
posted Hide Post
quote:
Corey and Cheri
What Heroes Gave

AMEN to that.
God bless our Services,
God bless America.

#1 29' 1977parted out and still alive in Barths all over the USA

Posts: 1028 | Location: Floral City FL | Member Since: 04-25-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 10/17
Picture of Lou
posted Hide Post
As we leave Memorial Day and its important reminders, here is a well-done tribute we can use to keep us mindful of these sacrifices throughout the next twelve months:

http://www.youtube.com/v/ervaMPt4Ha0&autoplay=1

Lou

Posts: 467 | Location: Allegan, MI. | Member Since: 08-14-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
While watching a recent show about an Afghan battle that had a very bad outcome due to poor decisions made by people nowhere near the battle site, there was a comment that stuck in my mind. These men where fighting for each other, dieing for each other, giving up everything for each other. One might question whether we should be in these conflicts but you can never question the loyalty these men and women have to each other. They are brothers and sisters.
Jim

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
One of the most disappointing aspects of recent history is the blurring of the distinction between supporting the troops and supporting the cause.

In my mind the best way to support our troops is to respect them enough to only use them as a last resort. One thing for sure, old men start wars and young men always die, lots of em, and their mothers don't really care what color the flag was.

If you read the letters sent home by young soldiers from any war, serving any country, they are always the same. We can't seem to learn how to break the cycle.

The last thing I ever want is to have a soldier stop and think about whether the fight was worth the cause, either during the fight or for the rest of their life. They so deserve our respect and care, especially those who return and try to resume their normal lives. God bless them all.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5187 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve VW:
One thing for sure, old men start wars and young men always die, lots of em.

A cynic recently observed that our recent wars are started by draft-dodgers for other mens' sons to fight.

I called him on it, and he rattled off the tremendously low percentage of vets in the administration, Congress and the Neocon advisors. Chicken Hawks, he called them. He also had the numbers on members of congress with sons in harm's way. I checked his facts, and he was right on.

This was an election or two ago, so I don't know if it still holds true.

As a vet with a wounded son, and a wounded grandfather, (my dad emerged unscathed) this thought always irks me.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
First, thank you Bill and your family for your honorable service to the country. I believe that this nation has 2 national disgraces that are still outstanding: the lack of care for returning vets and the aftermath in New Orleans. Might add the fact that after 10 years and starting a war we still haven't got a memorial at the 9/11 site...

I hate to think it is true but the old men who control these also seem to get rich in the process. A sad tale.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
Bill's cynic is very nearly correct, though changing demographics have had their effect. A smaller proportion of Americans served in Vietnam than the WW II/Korea generations, & the Vietnam vets are approaching retirement age. A smaller proportion still, serve in today's volunteer (professional? mercenary?) military.

I add the parenthetical questions because I'm disgusted that we have to rely on money & a poor economy to encourage people to serve, & I'm biased toward a requirement of some national service for every citizen. I've voluntarily worn the uniforms of three branches, with a retirement certificate from one that thanks me for, "more than 42 years of faithful service," 1/4 of it active duty. This, no doubt, is what generates my bias.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post