Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Need some advice on painted aluminum
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of Fred & Cindy
posted
I want to brighten up our 1990 Regency. It is black and silver with minor chipping and no peeling. I have tried waxing but the oxidation continues to show through. Tried rubbing compound... some improvement, but can still see oxidation and a dull finish in many areas. Can anyone recommend a good buffing product to bring out the colors? Or... is there a place I could take it to get it done at reasonable cost?

Fred & Cindy Cook
1990 32' Regency, Cummins

1990 32' Regency, Wide Body
Spartan Chassis, 8.3 CTA Cummins
4 Speed Allison Trans
South Central Missouri

Posts: 356 | Location: Missouri | Member Since: 06-24-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
You might try Nu-Finish or AstroShield. Apply these and work in like spit shining. Very labor intensive!

Unfortunately, the problem may be with the clear coat.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
I didn't know Barth knew what clear coat was. Use a tougher compound you have to get the oxidation off then wax.

Posts: 257 | Location: Carolina Shores Nc | Member Since: 12-12-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
Yes they did use clear coat but, I have none left on the nose above the windshield. I want to redo the roof soon so I will wait until I get that done before I address the clear coat.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ed, look at the year your Coach was built. None on ours. Say HI to Jane for us. T&N

Posts: 257 | Location: Carolina Shores Nc | Member Since: 12-12-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
Buffing and waxing will not restore clear coat. Once it begins to cloud and separate you must repaint and re-coat. Its the nature of the product. Ten years is about the max.

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1515 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Fred & Cindy
posted Hide Post
Tom
We have a 1990 Regency wide body.... 23 years old, black and silver like yours. It does look cloudy in areas, but I thought it was just oxidation. I am not sure they put clear coat on the 1990 coach. I have used some rubbing compound and it improve the appearance somewhat. Repainting would be an expensive endeavor. I really thought it could be buffed out using the right stuff and a buffer but.... you are saying it will not help... right?

Fred & Cindy Cook
1990 32' Regency, Cummins

1990 32' Regency, Wide Body
Spartan Chassis, 8.3 CTA Cummins
4 Speed Allison Trans
South Central Missouri

Posts: 356 | Location: Missouri | Member Since: 06-24-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
The top area where the roof meets the side walls and the front fiberglass cap all have clouding and peeling clear coat. The cap actually has cracks from the shrinkage caused by sun baking. I had the lower area below the belt painted using the Sikkens paint that was on the decals and it is a two part epoxy paint. My next job is sanding the cap, laying down another layer of what is known as fiberglass veil and then repainting with the same Sikkens colors. To many of those who believe plastic is forever you can rest assured that fiberglass, plastic trash bags and polyester fabrics all deteriorate when exposed to ultra-violet light. My local paint guy was able to paint the lower part outside on a cool morning with no wind so you can get by without a large expensive paint booth $$$$$$.

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1515 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Jax, Tom has a 93. Yours and mine are 90's. Mine does not have clear coat and yours probably doesn't either. Pick a spot and try some compound until the cloud goes away. It is not easy. You might think about a detail Mobil service. I would think it be around 3-400$ much cheaper than a paint job. Have fun. T&N

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/10
Picture of bud@YXY
posted Hide Post
Our 93 Breakaway has clearcoat-- with the exception of one panel on the rear corner. The paint remains VERY good so far-- even with the Arizona sun.
Regards to All
Bud

1993 Breakaway 36ft & 1977 20 ft
Spartan: air ride and brakes & P32(?)
Cummins: 8.3 litre 250hp, PACBrake
Allison 3060 (6 spd)
Front entry, side hallway
7.5 kw diesel gen.
1999 2dr Tracker 4X4 5spd, SMI Braking system

Posts: 253 | Location: Yukon--Arizona and around | Member Since: 06-09-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post