Forums    General Discussions    Note to self...
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Note to self...
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of Keith Hopper
posted
...before leaving campground, walk slowly around the Barth. Sit for a minute or so...walk around again. I almost drove off with an awning up. Reminds me of the time I launched my (former) boat without the drain plug.

1988 Regency
38' Gillig
3208 T Cat

Posts: 161 | Location: Atlanta, Georgia | Member Since: 03-21-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
quote:
my (former) boat

So, does now belong to 'Davey Jones'?

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/10
Picture of Marvin+Doris
posted Hide Post
We use a couple of clothpins marked "antenna" and "levelers" and stick them on the steering wheel. Always walk around one more time before takeoff. "Crew, yellow door selected" Wink

1999 Bluebird Custom 33' 8.3 Cummins diesel pusher

Former owner 1989 Barth Regal 25'

Posts: 1313 | Location: Big South Fork TN | Member Since: 09-29-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just do a light-check prior to deployment.

Checking ALL your lights requires a complete walk-around and requires your eyes to travel up and down the vehicle.

As I walk-around, my hand checks all 14 compartment doors and 5 access panels.

I secure my awning arm safety straps to the awning arms (while the awning is deployed on-site), as to not forget to strap-'em-on before I'm haze gray and underway.

I keep a SouthCo E3-5-15 cylinder key on a retractable key-ring on my belt.

EASY ...never miss a thing.

Posts: 33 | Location: midwest | Member Since: 05-05-2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Keith Hopper
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the good tips.

Jim, I managed to haul the bloody thing out just in time. I can verify what they say about the two best days in the boat owner's life.

1988 Regency
38' Gillig
3208 T Cat

Posts: 161 | Location: Atlanta, Georgia | Member Since: 03-21-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Checklists are the aviator's best friend. There is a list for preflight, before starting, before takeoff, for descent and landing and for shutdown!

They will never let you down if you use them.

There's one part that always makes me laugh on the preflight list:

Flight Controls: FREE and CORRECT
(There ain't nuthin' free on airplanes!) ROTFLMAO

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5180 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
CIGAR TIP:
C for controls, free and moving properly
I for instruments (including checking the directional indicator against runway heading and magnetic compass)
G for gas, both quantity and set on correct tank, alternate fuel pump on or off as appropriate, and also for gear
A for altimeter
R for runup
T for trim set for takeoff
I was for interior, doors and windows locked
P for propeller set for takeoff.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 9/11
Picture of Jim & Barb
posted Hide Post
I do my walk around doing all the above mentioned items plus I have a thing hanging on my drive selector so before I remove it or start the engine I go around checking again "just in case". Then I am ready to go.

With the plane, after my walk around, I too do the CIGARTIP except before the R for run up I have another R which means for the people around the plane to RUN after I yell "clear the prop". ROTFLMAO

Jim

Posts: 457 | Location: Port Charlotte Florida USA | Member Since: 06-08-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Landing is "GUMPS"

G - Gas: Boost pump on
U - Undercarriage: A smoother landing occurs with the wheels down
M - Mixture: Full rich
P - Prop: Fine pitch
S - Select: Main fuel tank

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/19
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
Mnemonics Click

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
With my memory, I'm better off with my thumb on the laminated list...

GUMPS: Ground Underneath Makes (Landings) Potentially Smoother? confusion

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5180 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Three Worthless Things to an aviator:

1. Fuel still on the truck
2. Altitude above you
3. Runway behind you

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke