Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

propane
 Login now/Join our community

posted
Va. Tom58 Can a 120lb tank be attached to the motor homes filler valve as backup????

Posts: 7 | Location: Chesterfield,Va. | Member Since: 10-15-2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
I have a valve and a tee on my propane supply line (LOW pressure side!)

If I want to attach a line to an external device (i.e. grill) I can attach a hose and directly feed the device.

I have also used the tee to attach a separate cylinder. (This cylinder MUST have its own regulator) If I shut off the coach tank then I can use the extra tank and not deplete the coach tank.

I would be leery of any connections to the high pressure side (approx 150 psi) The low pressure side is about 11 inches of water (i.e. 1/2 psi!)

Ideally the tee will be between the coach regulator and the sniffer shutoff valve so the the sniffer would still stop the flow when needed.

From left to right: coach shutoff valve, two stage regulator, tee with valve and dust cap, sniffer shutoff valve, (wire attached, behind red valve handle) line out to coach (black flex line, hard to see, far right)

Looks like the road salt got to the paint. Need to clean and repaint, again... head bang

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5193 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Short answer, no. The fill fitting at a supplier is special, and is available only to licensed dealers. That said, the external tank would be at the same pressure as the installed tank; no significant flow would occur.

However, a bypass could be installed to allow the external tank to feed the system instead of the installed tank. I suggest using a licensed tech for that job.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
THanks

Posts: 7 | Location: Chesterfield,Va. | Member Since: 10-15-2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
I put in an extra long hose connecting the tank to the regulator. When we want to use a larger tank (for longer use), or a smaller portable tank (for portable refilling), I just move the hose from the coach tank to the aux tank.

The small tank gets dragged to town for a cheap and handy Costco refill and the big one gets filled from the propane truck (if I call on the right day of the week).

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post