Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Pecking order
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of Gunner
posted
This is controversial, perhaps, but I am really interested:
The chronological point has been reached where any Barth is either "old" or "a classic". Do site members have a (perhaps unconscious) "pecking order" as to the desirability or importance of Barth models or year of mfg? Are "new style" post-94 models considered "not real Barths"? Do "real" Barths have to be gas-engine powered?

------------------
"You are what you drive" - Clint Eastwood

[This message has been edited by Gunner (edited March 05, 2005).]

Posts: 474 | Location: Republic of Texas | Member Since: 12-31-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
I Think that 1996 is the year where Umbaugh lost control and for the most part it was in receivership.

However, Barths superior construction can be seen in their 1968 travel trailers.

For me personally, I like the design of the Barth from 1985 to 1996. My favorite gas model is the 28 foot Regal like I have. My favorite diesels are the 33 foot Breakaway 1993 on, with the free standing dinette and 6 speed Allison. However, I also really like the 1990+ 34-36 foot Regency with the Gillig/CAT combo. However, if you can find a 1995 XL like Jay Teasley's with the Spartan MM chassis and Cummins 325 hp 8.3L engine. Now there you're talking.

As far as vintage is concerned, I don't personally ever feel that Barth will attain this "vintage" moniker. First of all they just didn't make enough to get anyones attention and it seems to me that this whole vintage thing is going by the wayside. Even Airstream has been losing it high pricing for the old ones like mad. The new travel trailer by Alumiscape and others are far more comfortable than Airstreams and cost much less. And in many ways are much better.

Other motorhomes which at one time sold for a premium like FMC, Travco, etc. do not anymore.

Frankly, I think that the great advantage of Barth now is the fact that they are very solidly constructed motorhomes and they are affordable. Like the Regency Jerry from Atlanta looked at. If he was able to get that for maybe $38K or less and lets say he puts another $10K in it to get it perfect. Where can you buy a full air ride luxury diesel motor home, built like that for $50K.

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post