Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Got One
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/07
posted
Well today I picked up my 1986 28 footer and drove the 330 miles home in Rain, Sleet, Snow and super high winds.. It was a white knuck ride home... I got home safe and I hit nothing and tomorrows project before leaving for the dog shows will be to trim the trees along the driveway so the Barth can get into a proper resting place...
The ride up was bad as it was dark (I left Dayton at 2 am) and extremely foggy...
and coming back was no better.. Anyway my new hobby of taking care of the unit will now begin..
I do want to thank Ralph and Bill for all their help and answers and suggestions and thank you to the list for answering all my dumb questions and to Dave for the list..
Let the fun begin..

------------------
John Reilly
Big Times Kennel
Centerville Ohio

Posts: 87 | Location: Centerville, Ohio, USA | Member Since: 09-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wait! When you start working on the old girl it's like a sickness. There is something about owning a Barth that makes you want to make it perfect. I'm telling you it's haunting. Maybe it's the name. I don't know but you'll love working on it. (sitting in it) There's just something about it. I never thought that I would enjoy working on something that much. I believe we belong to an elete group of people. Think about it ! Lancer

Posts: 25 | Location: Belle Vernon Pa. | Member Since: 11-11-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
Geez, Lancer you been talking to my wife. When the weather is nice around here. A two week period in June, you will find me in the evenings sitting in the Barth reading or watching TV. Yes I have cable piped out there. I always wondered why I did that, then I realized if you open the window it's right there, not across the room, so you feel every little breeze. John you will love it...

Here's Johns new coach a really nice one..

------------------

[This message has been edited by davebowers (edited December 07, 2004).]

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com11/10
Picture of Bill & Sonja
posted Hide Post
That is one beautiful coach John. Congratulations and let the good times roll.

Posts: 115 | Location: Calgary - Alberta & B.C., Canada | Member Since: 09-17-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of Don in Niagara
posted Hide Post
Congratulations John!
I was looking at the pictures Dave posted and your new addition is really a beauty. Let the fun begin!
REgards,
Don
>
quote:
Originally posted by JReilly:
Well today I picked up my 1986 28 footer and drove the 330 miles home in Rain, Sleet, Snow and super high winds.. It was a white knuck ride home... I got home safe and I hit nothing and tomorrows project before leaving for the dog shows will be to trim the trees along the driveway so the Barth can get into a proper resting place...
The ride up was bad as it was dark (I left Dayton at 2 am) and extremely foggy...
and coming back was no better.. Anyway my new hobby of taking care of the unit will now begin..
I do want to thank Ralph and Bill for all their help and answers and suggestions and thank you to the list for answering all my dumb questions and to Dave for the list..
Let the fun begin..

Posts: 630 | Location: Niagara Falls, Canada | Member Since: 11-09-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of Don in Niagara
posted Hide Post
Hey Lancer, they call it "Ship Fitters Disease".
The more stuff you fix or "upgrade" to something newer - better - prettier, the more things you find that are not quite "right" and so on and on it goes.
I've been struck by the "sickness" with the Sunbeam Tigers .. 2 of 'em, Royal Enfield motorcycles .. 5 of em! and of late a 68 lwb Land Rover pickup. It has a new galvanized chassis, new heavier duty rear axle and new, later 4 banger. Heck, only about 25% of the original beast is still there!
So HAVE FUN! and maybe you and John might want to invest in some lottery tickets or something to bring in the extra $$$ your're gonna need.
Best.
Don
>
quote:
Originally posted by lancer:
Wait! When you start working on the old girl it's like a sickness. There is something about owning a Barth that makes you want to make it perfect. I'm telling you it's haunting. Maybe it's the name. I don't know but you'll love working on it. (sitting in it) There's just something about it. I never thought that I would enjoy working on something that much. I believe we belong to an elete group of people. Think about it ! Lancer

Posts: 630 | Location: Niagara Falls, Canada | Member Since: 11-09-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
I've been afflicted with "Ship Fitters Disease" since I was nine years old - that's 65 years ago - but I never knew what it was called until now.

It started with a coaster wagon, progressed to a rowboat, BB guns, model airplane motors, bicycles, cars, airplanes, power boats, houses, and RV's. Did a motor scooter once, but never a motorcycle.

I never realy got into serious restoration work, but I sure sold a lot of junk that was in a lot better shape than it was when I bought it.

The string extended to my most recent s.o.b., and now the Barth. That project is likely to last as long as I will. I've completed 47 items at last count (most minor - thank God), with about a dozen to go, and for every one I complete, the list grows by at least one - must be the effect noted by Don in Niagara.

Trouble is, it don't get no easier when you get on in years.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
Well because of you guys and your "ship fitters" malady Barth will stay popular for a long time and some great coaches will be circulating out there. Here are three examples of beautifully updated coaches.

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
WoW John... That's a beautiful coach!

I know you will love it and I want to join your other on-line friends in wishing you all the best. Be safe, travel often and God bless...

Your Friend in Tennessee,

Chris Lacey

Posts: 6 | Location: Kingsport, TN, USA | Member Since: 11-27-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't have SHIP FITTERS disease, but do have FURNITURES DISEASE. That's when your CHEST falls down and into your DRAWERS. Dale Smith

Posts: 629 | Location: INDY,IN USA | Member Since: 06-30-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Smith Brother?

Everyone knows the Smith Brothers were named Trade and Mark. One had a beard and one didn't, as I recall.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm TRADE. I'm back with new name so as to start over by being a NICE GUY. Hey, a friend in France that restores scooters like my MANURHIN is looking for tires for his 54 Belair, wide whites 670X15 does anyone have a sourse for such. I'm lazy this morning and KNOW someone must know. Thanks. Dale

Posts: 629 | Location: INDY,IN USA | Member Since: 06-30-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
John,

Congratulations!...and what a beauty it is!

My little '78-24' restored & polished gasser has brought me much pleasure, much of which I never anticipated. It's easy to get a tad "snobbish" when traveling around and comparing your unit with today's modern offerings. At campgrounds, it'll be like parking a Dusenberg among Yugos....for pure "class", it's like Katherine Hepburn sitting between Madonna and Cortney Love.

Become familiar with Barth history, 'cause your unit is a sure-fire conversation starter with campground neighbors - a real benefit in itself. I've met some great folks who remember & relate the Barth glory days, as well as camping newbies curious as to why my unit looks, well, just "different" from the run-of-the-mill plastic varieties on the road today......

Up-grading, restoring & tinkering will become a passion and a hobby....Sometimes frustrating & aggravating, but in the end, always satisfying....(Can't really explain it, but folks with British sports cars & motorcycles will know exactly what I mean..)

Over at another RV forum, there's a thread discussing the maximum age for a motorhome, after which serious remodeling is no longer cost-effective...Many feel that about 1996 is the cut-off year - anything older is a waste....

I can only smirk........

Happy Travels!

P.S....."Somebody" out there currently owns MY future Breakaway...Please take good care of it...in 22-1/2 months, we'll talk!

Posts: 1266 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Member Since: 09-12-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com11/10
Picture of Bill & Sonja
posted Hide Post
Hey Lee, how about treating us to some pictures of the 78.

Posts: 115 | Location: Calgary - Alberta & B.C., Canada | Member Since: 09-17-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
Be glad to!....in early March...Right now it's under cover for the season, but more importantly, I'm only on page 17 of the 29 page instruction book that came with my "simple-to-use" digital camera.

I'll finish THAT right after I figure out how to set the microwave thats been flashing twelve o'clock since 1998....(Where's an 8-year old when you REALLY need 'em?!)

My little pride-n-joy came out of the factory with zero exterior paint....In retrospect, my decision to polish it to a mirror finish was masochistic, and anyone else with similar plans needs to sit down and relax until the urge passes......

Posts: 1266 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Member Since: 09-12-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post