Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Car auction
 Login now/Join our community

posted
My mother's brother, Ray S. Miller past away this past year in the South Bend, IN. area and his millions of dollars worth of cars and stuff is going up for auction this weekend. To view such pull up his site. www.rmauctions.com His two remaining brothers along with our son and myself will be there. I can answer some question for those that are interested. Jay Leno will be there and has offered to buy the complete collection, but the auction was already planned so he will bid like many others. Dale

Posts: 629 | Location: INDY,IN USA | Member Since: 06-30-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
Dale....WOW!...What an incredible collection!!! I'm gonna spend the whole evening just reading the individual listings......

You said you might be able to answer some questions....Well, I'm interested in bidding on the 1930 Duesenberg, estimated at $750-850k.....Question: Would I be able to tow it four-down?...What a Campground Cruiser THAT would be!.......If not, then I guess I'll just have to let Jay take it....

Posts: 1266 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Member Since: 09-12-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lee, uncle Ray started a small DIE business in his garage in the 50's and turned it into a very large company call, ATLAS STEEL RULE AND DIE. At one time 3 generations of the Miller family worked at Studebacker there in South Bend. Most of of his collection is of Indiana made cars such as Cord, Marmon, Dusies, Alburns, and Studies. He had the worlds largest collection of hood ornaments and stuff. All cars were on display with period people sitting or standing by the car. He was a self made person, and NO I WAS NOT IN HIS WILL. That's ok though.

[This message has been edited by DALE SMITH (edited October 12, 2004).]

Posts: 629 | Location: INDY,IN USA | Member Since: 06-30-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
Dale, Thanks for the background info....It is indeed a truly impressive collection...

Kinda close to home for me too....I was raised on a dairy farm in MI, 'bout 25 miles from South Bend...During lean times on the farm, my dad worked on & off on the night shift at Studebaker...just before the Larks, so it must have been pre-'59 or so. Farm all day & work the assembly line all night....I was indeed truly blessed with the parents I had......

Enough!....Took a day off from the office today and spent the WHOLE day pontificating on the Barthmobile site!...I think I'm personally responsible for about 4 thread-drifts today......Sorry Dave - I'll lay low for awhile.......

Dale, Good Luck on the auction....If the Duesenberg doesn't sell, I offer my first-born son in a lifetime of bonded servitude...my last, best offer.........

Posts: 1266 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Member Since: 09-12-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/12
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
Picture of Creepy Cawler
posted Hide Post
Would this possibly be the same
Ray Miller that owned Double Eagle Corp. in Shipshewana Ind ?

Posts: 140 | Location: Freedom Pa. U.S.A | Member Since: 04-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't think so, but will ask his brothers this Friday.