Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

insurance
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/12
posted
Can anyone give me an idea of what apptox, rate for say a 1990 breakaway valued around $40000
should run? Any comments on companies I.E Good Sam or the regular carriers would be much appreciated. I would intend to store inside.
Thanks

Posts: 189 | Location: South Daytona Fl | Member Since: 07-02-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
I found Progressive to be the best deal on the Barth even though they couldn't touch Allstate on my other three vehicles. They will write a stand alone and a friend who retired from the biz says Progressive "invented" RV insurance. This subject got kicked around a couple years ago and there were widely varying opinions, as I'm sure there will be this time.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3479 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I use Auto-Owners (partially because I was an agent for 25 years, and partially because they have the best price). Progressive is very good. GMAC is trying to break into the business, an seems to be getting its act together on claims. Foremost also had a very good program, but I don't know if they still write in Florida.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gunner
posted Hide Post
When you buy "Good Sam" insurance the policy says GMAC. I had "Good Sam" on 2 Barths. It was always "covered" by somebody -GMAC, I think- but now GMAC is right up front over the Good Sam moniker. I recently cancelled GMAC (2 cars, one Barth) because they would not write a Golf Cart; I signed on with Farmers' because they cover my house and....Surprise!... saved $200 per year for the exact same coverage. Had one claim with Good Sam -1990, low-flying grouse through the windshield- and they did right by me.

"You are what you drive" - Clint Eastwood

Posts: 474 | Location: Republic of Texas | Member Since: 12-31-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Golf carts are usually written under homeowners, even if "street legal", as they don't fit the eligibility definition of a "motor vehicle". So GMAC would have no means of covering a golf cart, since they don't write any property coverages like homeowners. Progressive, OTOH, has written electric carts (liability only) under its motorcycle policy.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
Dittos on Progressive for cost, although they did require a stand alone policy for the Barth -cars were on separate policy.....

Made my first claim in 45 years of driving recently...a drive-off T-boned my wife's unoccupied Soobey in a mall parking lot.....

Good news: Progressive service was outta sight...no on-site adjuster stuff, just a phone call to file. They let me choose the repair shop with zero hassle, and when we dropped the car off at the shop, Progressive had already arranged to have a rental car waiting there for us.....Couldn't have been handled smoother....

The Not-so-Good News: My policy premium took a spike for a "claims history adjustment".....

Sidebar: FWIW, I'm told that road service as part of your insurance policy may count against you for claims history adjustments...might be better to consider 3rd party road service plans.

Posts: 1266 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Member Since: 09-12-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Some companies charge roadside service or "towing and labor" calls as claims.

Lee, Progressive shouldn't have raised your rates for a not-at-fault accident, assuming the other party had coverage.

I would talk to Progressie and make sure they have the police report, charging the other driver.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

posted Hide Post
Living here in the land of unreal homeowners ins makes it a little dicie, almost no one is writing it here now. That ia a point for progressuve if they will do a stand-alone, Does the construction of the coach increase or decrease the cost to insure?

Posts: 189 | Location: South Daytona Fl | Member Since: 07-02-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
It's been a few years since I sold my agency, but Progressive used to require photos for coaches over ten years old. If they were in good condition, there was never a problem.

Construction of the coach doesn't have a direct impact on cost to insure. Indirectly it does, however, as a premium coach such as a Barth will retain its value. With its new engine, my 28' Breakaway is insured for $40,000 (with Auto-Owners). A twelve-year old 28' gaso SOB would be more like $25,000.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
Rusty,

In my case, it involved a drive-off, i.e.: hit-n-run......no witnesses, probably no leads or apprehensions.......

Does this change anything?.......

Thanks (Sorry to hijack thread....)

Lee

Posts: 1266 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Member Since: 09-12-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just talked to Progressive and the quote was under a grand, better than i expected. You folks at Barthmobile are the greatest!
non all i need is to buy a coach, I have my eye on one
thanks again

Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lee:
Rusty,

In my case, it involved a drive-off, i.e.: hit-n-run......no witnesses, probably no leads or apprehensions.......

Does this change anything?.......

Thanks (Sorry to hijack thread....)

Lee

Yep, it does - if the other party's at fault and identified, then it's a non-chargeable. If Progressive paid with no recourse for recovery from another, it's considered a claim. Had you wifester been at fault, it would have been a chargeable, and the rates would have gone up more.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by w&bknocke:
Just talked to Progressive and the quote was under a grand, better than i expected. You folks at Barthmobile are the greatest!
non all i need is to buy a coach, I have my eye on one
thanks again

I'd still check with GMAC/Good Sam when your buy is finalized - GMAC for years has been trying to out-Progressive Progressive - they're not there yet (no one is better than Progressive on claims handling), but they try hard.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
FMCA has just changed the insurance they offer. You might check with them.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/11
Picture of Bruce & Kathleen
posted Hide Post
Beings we live in New Jersey (highest insurance rates in the land), finding insurance for our soon to be delivered '93 Breakaway has been a challange. Not that we cannot find carriers(Progressive and Geico do not insure RV's in NJ), but GMAC wants $1200 per year and Foremost want $1000. I have found National Interstate to be priced in the $500 range for the same coverage. I tried looking thru this site to see if there was any feedback on them, but cannot find any. I see someone had Westbend Mutual, which I will check out tomorrow. Just looking for some feedback or suggestions. This is our first motorhome.

9303 3855 33BS 1B
Bruce & Kathleen
1993 33' Front Entrance Breakaway
230HP Cummins 5.9, Allison 6 speed, Spartan Chassis, Nicely Optioned

Posts: 616 | Location: New Jersey | Member Since: 04-01-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post