Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

I'm ready to buy--BUT
 Login now/Join our community

posted
Newbie here needs input. Thanks Dave for such an awesome site and thanks to all who have responded to my past questions.
Am seriously considering buying--have my eye on three choices--two Breakaway diesels and a Regal. My wife and I full-time and have for the past ten years. After owning 6 SOBs (some really were!) I think I want a Barth. Haven't ever been in one, but I'm convinced. Any recommendations? Which would you buy? I know I'll have many other questions and I thank you all in advance for responses. I'm still not sure the aluminum skin versus fiberglas--what's with the roof? Aluminum? Need sealing/maintenance? Thought my Apollo would be my last motorhome--I loved it but sooo heavy! HELP!

Posts: 20 | Location: Marlton, NJ, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
One man's H.O.

Two big differences between Breakaways & Regals - 1) diesel vs. gas, 2) gas Regal should be cheaper. Choice comes from the size of your bankbook , and how far you'll drive each year. You'll probably get the price differential back on resale, but no RV is an investment on which to expect a significant return.

Al vs. F.G.? My s.o.b. was F.G. I prefer the Al. For me, it's easier to keep old paint looking good, than faded F.G. gelcoat.

As far as I can tell, the Barth roof is Al like the rest of the coach. It has some seams and rivet heads that need to be sealed, as does everything - antennas, vents, running lights, a.c.'s, etc. that penetrates the roof of any R.V.. My Barth had been neglected for God knows how many years. Leaked like a sieve in the first big rain. 3/4 of a tube of flowable sealant (no silicone, thanks), plus an hour on top, and it has been dry ever since. My F.G. s.o.b. leaked too when I first got it. Big difference -there was rotted wood underneath, not metal. Fortunately, the wood was there only for something to attach the F.G. panels, but it was a pain.

The Barth will have real wood cabinetry, and generally better quality furniture than most ordinary rigs. Appliances are pretty much standard throughout the industry, no significant difference there.

IMHO, dollar for dollar, you won't find a better value in today's market than a Barth. Their relative obscurity in the public eye keeps prices well below their relative level of quality, compared to the common names.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Chast...since we are "local" to NJ if you find coaches that you are not interested in and are in good repair throw the lead our way. So many of the Barths we are interested in are far...far away in location to south central PA.
A gas 30'-34'Regal without a tag axle and a rear queen bed would work, or a 30'-34' Breakaway with rear queen bed. We are open to options. Thanks!

[This message has been edited by whamer (edited August 18, 2004).]

Posts: 32 | Location: Hanover, PA USA | Member Since: 06-09-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The cost of airfair even across the country is small change if you find the right coach at the right price some where outside of "your circle". There are undoubtedly members of Barthmobile.com who live close to almost anyplace in the USA that would look at a potential coach for you and "check it out". I bought my GMC Motorhome in Vermont (I lived on the Oregon Coast); was lucky and found my Barth 1/2 mile from home in North Idaho.

Posts: 138 | Location: Hayden Lake (Coeur d'Alene), ID USA | Member Since: 11-14-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
Whamer,

I don't know exactly what you are looking for. There are two perfect 33 ft Breakaway dream coaches there near Pittburgh and one of the nicest, if not the nicest 33 foot Regal there in Ohio.

As far as the tags are concerned, if you buy a 30-33ft gas coach you will want tags unless you can find 290 inch frame on an Oshkosh, or John Deere chassis and I think they made about 4 of those. And this is not to mention the ultra nice 30 foot Mike Major Breakaway only a one day drive to Illinois for a steal of $35K. Not to mention the 32 foot Regency 25th Aniversary Edition which is on it's way back from Nova Scotia, so it is probably going by your house now.

Sounds like quite a choice to me.

------------------

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by whamer:
A gas 30'-34'Regal without a tag axle and a rear queen bed would work, or a 30'-34' Breakaway with rear queen bed. We are open to options. Thanks!

I am not sure how long Barth P30s went, but may I suggest that if you get a 30'-34' Regal, that it be Ford, freightliner or John Deere, not a P30. A P30 in that length really needs a tag to go straight.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As usual thanks for "steering me" in the right direction. I am currently working on a few of these leads Dave mentions. Some of the coaches are simply out of our budget range... the 34'Breakaway in western PA would be one of those, but I do like the layout.
To be blunt...we will know it when we see it, other then that I can not specifically say I want...this. I know only one thing, it must be a BARTH. No stick and staples for us.!

Posts: 32 | Location: Hanover, PA USA | Member Since: 06-09-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
When ever this tag question comes up I just go to rvtraderonline and looks at some pictures of 34 foot Fleetwood Bounders. With their almost laughable overhangs they were late to a fault at embracing tag axles as were most coach manufacturers. I remember right after we bought out coach in 1999 we met a guy who had just bought a "new" National Dolphin and he was bragging about his tags and how it made all the difference in the world and he just couldn't understand why they didn't do it 10 years before. Well you know what Barth did do it 10 years before. Try 15 years before.

------------------

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
OOOOOOH, that is neat overhang. I'll bet he could do really neat wheelies if he had a 502 in it.

I have only seen one 30 ft P30 with a tag (mine)and have always been curious as to whether it was done for weight or stability. I know it really helps both. It is MUCH more stable than our much lower mileage 27 foot P30. And it is higher, as well as longer.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
1st month member
posted Hide Post
We almost bought a 30' Dolphin with 16" wheels that looked like a low rider. We have a railroad track that is at a steep angle and I have seen quite a few people stuck on the tracks literally. This kept us from buying the Dolphin. It had only 8.5" ground clearance and the sewage plumbing would have been ripped off in the 1st trip over the tracks. Thankfully we found a Barth after passing up an Isuzu powered Safari.

------------------
Eddie Chevalier
'85 Barth Regal 28' P-30 454
'91 Honda Accord/'87 Yamaha YSR 50 Toads

Posts: 328 | Location: Sovereign Republic of Texas-Beaumont | Member Since: 01-15-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As usual, you guys are great with the replies. Thanks! I certainly will pass along any leads that I find. My leads thus far have been from this forum. We are considering the two Barths in PA and one in FL. Barths and their owners RULE!

Posts: 20 | Location: Marlton, NJ, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure that I am doing this right so I hope it works. I was in Pa. last weekend to see both of those Barths, my understanding that the one that is north of Pitt. I was told was sold on friday the 13th. and the one that was at the dealer did not impress me that much. If you would like a run down on the coach that is at the dealer that was advertized on traderonline give me a shout.

Poohbear
just starting to
look to find my
perfect Barth

Posts: 6 | Location: Brighton, MI, USA | Member Since: 06-27-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Poohbear...love the name...the coach at the dealer, Turner Airstream, we went to look at that about a month ago and it was out as a rental so we never did get to see it. Jim Turner is the owner, nice guy, last we had touched base with him it needed some paint work for corrorsion and a new power steering pump. The price is somewhere between 59,000-45,000 that is out of our budget. Thanks for the offer of a run down on this coach, it is much apprecaited.

posted Hide Post
Thank you Poohbear for the offer of a rundown on the coach at Turner RV. I too would be interested in what you found.

posted Hide Post
Jim Turners Barth,
okay keep in mind that my expectations probably run a little high

things I liked
exterior color looks better than photos

EXTERIOR WAS BASICALLY DAMAGE FREE EXCEPT LADDER HAD BEEN BACKED INTO SOMETHING

it had air suspension

IT HAD EXTARDER SYSTEM

IT STARTED GOOD

GEN. SOUNDED GOOD

RAN A/C BUT NOT VERY LONG

NEGATIVE THINGS
CARPET WAS FILTHY
LOUNGE CHAIRS WERE FILTHY
SOFA WAS WORN OUT
ALOT OF HOLES IN WALLS WHERE THINGS WERE ONCE HUNG

THE TWO CABINET DOORS ON LEFT AND RIGHT SIDE OF COACH BY PILOT & CO-PILOT HAD BIG WHITE SPEAKERS CUT INTO THEM AND ALSO BIG SPEAKERS MOUNTED BACK BY GALLEY

FRIG. WAS FULL OF MOLD

THE FRONT T.V. HAD BEEN REMOVED SO A FLAT SCREEN COULD BE INSTALLED AND THEN THE ORIGINAL T.V. REINSTALLED AND ALOT OF THE INTERIOR CABINET WAS NOT PUT BACK TOGETHER CORRECTLY

I HAVE ONLY BEEN IN ONE OTHER BARTH AND WHEN I STARTED THAT ONE THE INDICATOR LIGHTS FOR THE AIR BRAKES WENT OFF AS I WAS TOLD THEY ARE SUPPOSE TO- THIS COACH THE LIGHTS NEVER WENT OFF

THE EXTERIOR HAS BEEN PAINTED AND JUST ABOVE THE MOLDING BY WINDOWS ON 2/3 OF ONE SIDE AND 1/2 OF THE OTHER SIDE A STRIP ABOUT 1" WIDE OF PAINT WAS ALL LOOSE AS IF THE SURFACE WAS NOT PREPARED CORRECTLY

THE ELECTRICAL COMPARTMENT IN FRONT OF LEFT FRONT WHEEL LOOKED LIKE YOUR WORST NIGHTMARE- A REAL RATS NEST-WIRES ALL OVER THE PLACE

LIKE I SAID I HAVE ONLY LOOKED AT ONE OTHER BARTH AND ON A SCALE OF 1 TO 10 THAT ONE WAS A 9 I JUST DID NOT LIKE THE 160 CUMMINS, THIS COACH JUST DID NOT SEEM THAT IT WAS TREATED LIKE THEIR PRIDE AND JOY

WAS NOT IMPRESSED WITH JIM TURNER EITHER, I HAD CALLED HIM AND ASKED ABOUT THE CONDITION OF THE INTERIOR AND EXTERIOR AND HE TOLD ME THAT THEY WERE BOTH IN THE 9 RANGE AND AFTER COMING ALL THE WAY FROM MICHIGAN HE SPENT ONLY ABOUT 10 MINUTES IN THE COACH WITH MY WIFE AND I AND THEN WENT ON TO OTHER CUSTOMERS. I HAD TO FINALLY LOCK THE COACH UP AND GIVE THE KEY TO ANOTHER SALESMAN.

IF YOU ARE LOOKING FOR SOMETHING THAT YOU WANT TO SPEND SOME TIME ON THIS COULD BE THE RIGHT COACH BUT AT 45K I STILL THINK IT IS OVER PRICED

I SURE WOULD OF LOVED TO SEE THE OTHER COACH THAT WAS NORTH OF PITT. BUT IT WAS SOLD THE DAY BEFORE I GOT THERE. THAT LOOKED LIKE A NICE COACH

I AM NEW TO THIS LOOKING AT BARTHS BUT I HAVE LOOKED AT ALOT OF THE OTHER BRANDS AND THIS ONE JUST DIDN'T SET GOOD WITH ME

IF I CAN ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS PLEASE GIVE A HOLLER

POOHBEAR

[This message has been edited by poohbear (edited August 20, 2004).]

Posts: 6 | Location: Brighton, MI, USA | Member Since: 06-27-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post