Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Canadian Safety seal
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of Don Scalzo
posted
While at the Brooksville rally a Canadian was interestedd in coach, he was under the impression
that a decal or seal stating that the coach complied with the safety standards of Canada.
Anyone know about this requirement?

Posts: 196 | Location: Apollo Beach, Fl. USA | Member Since: 10-05-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
posted Hide Post
As far a I know there is no seal. If you go to the Canada Customs web site and work your way through the menus you will finally get to their site concering importation of motorhomes. They claim all Barths from 1992 to 1996 are OK to import and all others are not. So that is confusing as I have a 1978 and there are plenty of the older ones around.

Posts: 46 | Location: Parksville British Columbia | Member Since: 02-08-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Doug Smiley
posted Hide Post
It is the plate stating that the rv has complied with all the safety regulations at the date of manufacture of the rv in the USA.

The 82 MCC {by Barth}
is not an rv--
it is a Motor Coach!!

Posts: 2587 | Location: Nova Scotia | Member Since: 12-08-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of Don in Niagara
posted Hide Post
Hi Don and Linda
Hope all is well with you since we saw you at the Brooksville Rally. We really loved your coach.
In order to be imported from the US to Canada a Barth must have the 17 digit VIN number AND a statement saying the vehicle complies with all US motor vehicle safety standards in effect in the year of its manufacture.
We have looked at another half dozens or so Barths & SOBs in the last few weeks. Usually, on the manufacturers data plate you will find the VIN, GVWR, F and R axle weights etc. and at the bottom of this plate it will have the safety standards compliance statement. I could not find this safety compliance statement on your coach.
Did I miss something? It should be right on the bottom of the VIN data plate. At least that is where it is located on all the other RVs I've looked at(not Barths).
Could other Barth owners please confirm the location of the VIN and safety standards compliance statement?
That would be a big help in the search for our Barth.
Thanks
Don Leaming
quote:
Originally posted by Don Scalzo:
While at the Brooksville rally a Canadian was interestedd in coach, he was under the impression
that a decal or seal stating that the coach complied with the safety standards of Canada.
Anyone know about this requirement?

1990 Regency 34'
Cummins 6CTA 8.3 240hp
Spartan Chassis,
4 speed Allison MT643

Posts: 630 | Location: Niagara Falls, Canada | Member Since: 11-09-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of Don in Niagara
posted Hide Post
As I understand it the import of US specification vehicles into Canada from the US that are less than 15 years old is controlled by a federal agency called the Registrar of Imported Vehicles. ( www.riv.ca ) It says in section 2 on the riv site that all motor vehicles (except buses) over 15 years old are admissable. I called their 1 800 number and was told that an imported vehicle over 15 years old doesn't come under any of the riv requirements and is admissable without any restrictions.
I would love to hear from anyone who has imported a 1993 or newer Barth into Canada to find out what really happens if I show up at Canadian Customs with a Barth built less than 15 years ago..
Thanks
Don
quote:
Originally posted by Big Bear:
As far a I know there is no seal. If you go to the Canada Customs web site and work your way through the menus you will finally get to their site concering importation of motorhomes. They claim all Barths from 1992 to 1996 are OK to import and all others are not. So that is confusing as I have a 1978 and there are plenty of the older ones around.

1990 Regency 34'
Cummins 6CTA 8.3 240hp
Spartan Chassis,
4 speed Allison MT643

Posts: 630 | Location: Niagara Falls, Canada | Member Since: 11-09-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Don Scalzo
posted Hide Post
While at Brooksville we made a tentative deal that
calls for trading the Barth in on a n SOB. So Parliament Coach www.parliamentcoach.com will be
selling the Barth,hopefully.

Posts: 196 | Location: Apollo Beach, Fl. USA | Member Since: 10-05-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Doug Smiley
posted Hide Post
You can bring in a 1992-96 Barth but newer ones???
I question the fact that there are separate body and chassis companies involved and the chassis like Spartan would have a data plate for:
"the 17 digit VIN number AND a statement saying the vehicle complies with all US motor vehicle safety standards in effect in the year of its manufacture."
Has anybody ever contacted Spartan about this?

The 82 MCC {by Barth}
is not an rv--
it is a Motor Coach!!

Posts: 2587 | Location: Nova Scotia | Member Since: 12-08-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post