Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

need info 71 24 footer
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/07
posted
I have finally tracked down and actually talked to tealady about her 71 24 footer..She was not in a real talky mood as she was at work..I did find out that she returned the unit to who she was buying it from and that she had passed my info along to them... She had to find their phone number so as to pass theirs along to me incase they do not call... You all know as much as I do and that is basically what I have gotten off the list...Since you people have been so insightful so far I figured I would ask away and get your experiences and feelings on this unit..Has anyone actually seen the unit in person
Here is what I know 1971 18000 original miles 24 foot all interior equipment works... onan generator serviced and works well ...
I do not know engine or other particulars
Here is where the list comes in (strong I hope)
Your ideas on a 71 24footer.. will I like it what have you people experienced as the problems... what kind of questions should I ask should the new people call.. what are the pitfalls of this year and model.. I know I will have to put some dollars into it as it is a 33 year old unit..I want to thank youall for all your help if I ever do get a unit I am sure I'll be using the lists knowledge to muddle thru my new ownership problems
Thanks to all
John Reilly
Centerville Ohio
937-885-4720

Posts: 87 | Location: Centerville, Ohio, USA | Member Since: 09-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
John,

As the proud owner of a '78-24' for about a year now, maybe I can add an observation or two:

As to length, THAT is totally subjective and depends a lot on your intentions. In my case, 24' was originally considered too long, and I spent a year looking for the Perfect 20 footer......In my opinion, coaches in the lower-to-mid 20' are not really motor"homes", but more like self-propelled "campers"....Few if any of them have dedicated sleeping space, requiring some type of interior conversion for sleeping quarters...few if any have any really comfortable chairs, relying on the driver & pax seats, dinette, a sofa/bed compromises, etc. So if you intend to use it for extended living, or more than two adults comfortably, maybe you should think about something longer....On the other hand, that length range can't be beat for civilized camping, long weekend trips, group gatherings at Redskin games (You ARE a Redskin fan, right?)and other fun stuff....If it's a 350, it'll have adequate power to move you - if it's a 454, power & acceleration will never be a problem.

Somewhere out there, just waiting for me, is the perfect Breakaway DP, and I'll find it the very day I retire & hit the road about half time....Until then, my little 24 footer will be a good and faithful servant for my needs.

I'll let other, more knowlegeable folks give you mechanical advice....just keep in mind that many systems, while perhaps little-used, may still be beyond their dependable life-span....With coaches of this vintage, the purchase price is just the starting point.....Good luck!

Posts: 1266 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Member Since: 09-12-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
we have a 72 and we love it so far. we've had some work done on it but it's not cost us too much. the biggest expense if probably to come, tires!

we are weekenders. we use it for travel and camping. this past weekend we used it for a support vehicle while we autoX'd

yes, we drove the barth to the autoX and my brother watched the kids while we tore up cones. my almost 2 yo son had a place to nap and my 5 yo daughter watched a DVD. it was great. but I didn't get to take it on the course.

for us, anything longer would be TOO long. many of the campsites we visit have a max length of 24 ft.

we have chevy 350 and find it adequate.... but I would like to tow one of the lighter cars. not yet sure if that is a good idea? I figure my lightened cars weigh in around 2k lb... think the barth could pull that up a hill? I've also lightened the barth a bit. removed that 4 burner cooktop and oven.
me

the wife

the toaster

and in less than two weeks were taking the toaster to a vintage bmw motorcycle camping event!

oh what fun we're having!

paul schuster
www.schusterphoto.com

[This message has been edited by fuegos100 (edited September 28, 2004).]

Posts: 29 | Location: austin, tx | Member Since: 07-21-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post