Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

22 footer
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/07
posted
I am going to look at a 22 footer and was wondering if anyone on the list has one or is familiar with them... Pros and Cons..
I will be traveling on weekends to dog shows with 2 large dogs and an occasional passenger of the 2 legged type..
It is diesel (6.2)...Does not have the drop down bed over the front seats...
any and all insight would be appreciated

------------------
John Reilly
Big Times Kennel
Centerville Ohio

Posts: 87 | Location: Centerville, Ohio, USA | Member Since: 09-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
John,

I'll let others weigh-in on the 6.2 diesel (you wouldn't like my opinion!) and just comment on floor plan & size......

The 22's had nifty & concise layouts, but since you can't pack 10 lbs in a 5 lb box, compromises had to be made......

Like my 24', there is no dedicated sleeping quarters - in my mind, the sign of a true motorhome. Without a front pull-down (for me, good sleeping - my favorite bunk), you will be limited to breaking down the dinette or pulling out the sofa......

If you're under 5'6", really, really know your companion and enjoy things like tent camping, you'll find the dinette satisfactory.......

The sofa, when opened, clogs-up the aisle, and requires gymnastics to get from the front to the back of the coach......

Neither scenario should be a deal-breaker....Just be prepared to consider it "civilized camping". Many of the units you read about here are rolling palaces with all the comforts of home. (Including ME someday when I grow out of my 24 footer). Just don't confuse the two lifestyles and you won't be disappointed.

On the plus side, you'll fit just about anywhere you can fit a Suburban....With my lightly-loaded 24 with a strong 454, I LUV to blow-by the long gas units & DP heavies going up a 6-7 degree long climb!

Remember, it's a Barth, so you're already WAY ahead of the game.........

Good Luck!

Posts: 1266 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Member Since: 09-12-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/07
posted Hide Post
Lee thanks for the insight.. And yes I would like to hear your side of the engine issue and what you have to say about the 6.2..
I am 6'2" and plan on using the couch I generall carry an x pen, 2 crates and a grooming table. The dogs pretty much are floor bound and like it that way...any underneath storage..
Anything you can think of that I should look for or be aware of??
Thanks for your reply

------------------
John Reilly
Big Times Kennel
Centerville Ohio

Posts: 87 | Location: Centerville, Ohio, USA | Member Since: 09-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
Far be it from be to critique any Barth coach, but if you plan on spending the night in this coach, I would spring for at least a 28 footer. You will not notice the extra 6 feet and trust me your life will be a lot more comfortable. Like any veteran will tell you who has spent a few days or weeks in the boonies will tell you there is no guilt in seeing after ever aspect of your personal comfort. I have talked with a ton of folks who say "oh, I don't need that". Ya right...

------------------

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
posted Hide Post
I own both a 22 footer and a 28 footer. I can tell you that Dave is right. The 22 footer is a step up from a tent trailer. I used to own one of those also. I like the size of the bath. In the 22 footer your knees are in the sink when you use the toilet. There is really no place to set and eat other than the passenger and drivers seat and the bed. The plus side is it is small enough that you never have a problem finding a parking place and you can turn around on most logging roads. I have a 350 in the 22 footer and it is a little under powered.

Posts: 207 | Location: Port Townsend ,Wash USA | Member Since: 11-21-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Be sure and drive the 6.2 up a hill or two on your test drive..

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post