Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

HWH
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/19
posted

Above is the actuator seal. Below is the numbers for the actuator O-rings on a 16000 pound jack.

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/17
Picture of Doorman
posted Hide Post
There has been a discussion on removing the springs. Extend the jacks out, then insert wood shims between the coils. Retract the jacks and remove the springs.

1986 31' Regal -1976 Class C
454/T400 P30 -350/T400 G30
twin cntr beds - 21' rear bath

Posts: 1026 | Location: Dayton, Ohio | Member Since: 09-27-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
The small cap is the adjustment for the retraction of the jack and the vertical alignment. The best plan is take off the jack, send to HWH and get a warranty when returned. About $200 to rebuild each with shipping. I sent two in and the inner seals were degraded. But they also rechrome and machine the cylinder to new spec's just like a airplane engine rebuild.

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1515 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/10
Picture of Marvin+Doris
posted Hide Post
We replaced the actuator on the HWH leveler ourself. Easy but had to cut the old one out with a hacksaw. Replacement part was ordered by PO from HWH, believe it was $200

1999 Bluebird Custom 33' 8.3 Cummins diesel pusher

Former owner 1989 Barth Regal 25'

Posts: 1313 | Location: Big South Fork TN | Member Since: 09-29-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Doorman
posted Hide Post
Clothes pins.here

Posts: 1026 | Location: Dayton, Ohio | Member Since: 09-27-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Kevin: Let us know what you find! Your timing is perfect for me.

I am getting really close to doing work on my levelers. I took the front 2 off to remount them and I still have not. Meanwhile, the left rear started to leak from the rubber hose and when I put it down here one of the springs broke.

From what little I have read, the parts are not widely documented, hopefully at least available. I have the HWH manuals but no parts lists. The factory does a nice job of rebuilding but at a price. I think I will clean up my front ones and swap them into the back positions. When I get the rears fixed finally I will see about remounting them in the front.

I have also read about using pennies between the spring coils to shim them out for installation. Mechanic

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5193 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Doorman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve VW:

I have also read about using pennies between the spring coils to shim them out for installation. Mechanic

Cheaper than clothes pins.

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
When you get a chance, please post the part numbers and source for your repair parts. Barth HWH leveler owners have had to endure HWH's ridiculous monopoly.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/19
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
WAY TO GO, Kevin Thumbs Up

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Excellent link! Figures 6 & 7 are the first internal diagrams I have seen, the function of the actuator cylinder becomes apparent. Thumbs Up

(As they say, a picture is worth a thousand words, the description proves it!) ROTFLMAO

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5193 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Moved Reply:

Keith,

Welcome! There is a Foretravel forum called Fore Forums.

I am sure all types are welcome here! Personally I own an Airstream Argosy 20' motorhome but I have a serious itch for a 22' Barth Regal and lurk! Tooling Along

The HWH levelers are common on many makes across the RV industry so I am sure many folks could provide assistance. Best wishes on your repair. Take heart. My 1977 Argosy always seems to have something to fix!

Fred
ViewRVs.com

Posts: 5 | Location: Charleston, WV | Member Since: 12-07-2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/19
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
Moved Reply:

The Argosy is really cool and so is the Grand Villa. It so happens there are three former/current Barth owners on the forum who now have ForeTravels, not counting your slant-nose.

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Keith the Nomad
posted Hide Post
Moved Reply:

Kevin
You seem to be a kindred spirit. When I am not fixing my own stuff I am helping others on the road with their problems. I am officially known as a "fix it tragic" out here.
Thank you for your offer, which I would like to take you up on.
Do you use Skype for phone calls on your computer?
Have checked your Jack part No. against mine and only difference is mine has two hoses, for 400 series leveller, all other dimensions are the same so the parts you bought will fit mine.

Posts: 6 | Location: Queensland Australia | Member Since: 12-17-2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Keith the Nomad
posted Hide Post
Moved Reply:

Thank you too ViewRVs and Mogan David for their welcome

Posts: 6 | Location: Queensland Australia | Member Since: 12-17-2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Done.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post