Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Well here we are
 Login now/Join our community

posted
Here we are in Sothern Cal. living fulltime in our Barth. We've settled into an RV Park for the time being and are very comfortable. Will most likely be here for a spell. The Barth is parked and the drivetrain gets little activity save for firing up the engine and generator once per month or so and letting them idle for 10-15 minutes. The compact layout of this particular park makes it somewhat of chore to pull anchor and take her for a spin, hence the lack of drivetrain activity. Any tips for maintaining a Barth while parked for longterm would be most appreciated. Awnings are have been extended for a time as well. Any suggestions for maintaining these babies ? I imagine the sweltering California sunbeams will take their toll eventually.

------------------
Jack and Daiva
1988 Barth Regal

Posts: 140 | Location: Los Angeles, California | Member Since: 09-03-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
Hey Jack and Daiva,

I'm having a little "California Dreamin'". Since I just came in from blowing around about 2 tons of leaves.

Where exactly are you in So.Cal.?

I have read a couple discussions that it isn't that good to just start the engine a let it run. I have figured that the best thing to do is just put a little additive in your gas. The stuff I use in the winter is Sta Bil. This keeps your gas from gunking up. (special scientific description)

As far as your awnings are concerned, I have never done any lubing, however, I don't think it would be a bad idea to wipe some WD-40 on with a rag. You don't want it to be thick because I am sure it may be dusty around where you are.

Concerning the awnings,

www.campingworld.com

has an awning cleaner with UV protectant

------------------

[This message has been edited by davebowers (edited October 18, 2004).]

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Dave. We are located at Bell Mobile Home Park in Bell, CA about 15-20 minutes south of downtown L.A.; a clean, quiet park owned by the city of Bell. I believe there's a Camping World not too far from here.

------------------
Jack and Daiva
1988 Barth Regal

Posts: 140 | Location: Los Angeles, California | Member Since: 09-03-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
My book for my older Onan suggests running every 30 days for at least 30 minutes. I figure this gets all the gas from the carb and fuel lines cleared and new gas all the way to the genny. This may be a problem in a tight quarters park but if you can get it out on the road with some excuse you can kill two birds with one cruise around town.

------------------
Dan & Suzy Z
'81 Euro 28

Posts: 3482 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bill h. isn't right that short start ups will not heat the exhaust system enough that water will lay in same and cause more rust etc.? I do start ours, but allow it to run at different speeds and I make sure that the exhaust is hot enough to rid the pipes of any water. What do you think?

Posts: 629 | Location: INDY,IN USA | Member Since: 06-30-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Okay so...what duration of time constitutes a short start-up ? Or a long one, assuming it's affective to remain idle and run the engine at different speeds. Thanks for the replys guys.

posted Hide Post
My OPINION is this. I feel it is very important to make certain the exhaust pipe and muffler is at normal road temp so as to rid the system of any water. When water temperature gauge is near or at normal I know the system is warm enough. JUST MY OPINION.

Posts: 629 | Location: INDY,IN USA | Member Since: 06-30-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Dale, you're right about the water in the exhaust system, but it goes much farther than that. 10 or 15 minutes of idling does more harm than good. A cold start puts all sorts of combustion by products and contaminants in the oil. These contaminants can cause acid to form in the oil. Idling is often rich and has poor fuel distribution, which will result in even more oil contamination. Even after the water temp is up to normal, the oil is still cold. Oil must be raised to operating temp and held there to boil off the contaminants. This takes a while, and may never occur at idle. You can tell when your oil is up to operating temperature by observing your pressure gage at idle. It usually will be lower at a slow idle in gear. Look at it when you are thoroughly warmed up to get a reference.

Driving is best. Tires and trannies like driving, too.

WD40 is a petroleum product, and may not be kind to vinyl awnings. A vinyl dressing from a boat store (Meguiers) would have UV inhibitors. I have had good results with 303 on my boat vinyl and vinyl car tops and pickup tonneau covers.

[This message has been edited by bill h (edited October 22, 2004).]

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
A thought occured to me on my Friday drive and generator exercise: With reference to the above post, you can tell when your oil is up to operating temperature by observing your pressure gage at idle. It usually will be lower at a slow idle in gear. Look at it when you are thoroughly warmed up to get a reference.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Bill but I'm still not clear on what the preasure gage should read when the oil is at operating temp. And should the engine be idleing in gear- meaning neutral as opposed to park ? Normal operating temp moving down the road is around 40 psi.

------------------
Jack and Daiva
1988 Barth Regal

First Month Member
posted Hide Post
OK, Jack, if your oil pressure is 40 psi going down the road with a fully warmed-up engine, that is fine. When you stop at a stoplight, and it is idling in drive, what is the pressure? Let's say it is 20 psi. That is an indication that your oil is at operating temperature.

Now, when you take your Barth out for a little exercise, the engine temp gage reaches operating temp first, before the idling oil pressure drops to 20 psi. When the idling oil presure drops to 20 psi, that is your indication tht the oil is at operating temp, and you should drive for maybe 10 or 20 minutes more to boil off the contaminants in the oil. I usually just drive until my oil pressure drops to its hot idle pressure, and turn around and take the long way home.

posted Hide Post
Great ! How often do you think we should pull anchor and take her out ? I'm thinking to start and just idle once per mo and an actual drive to burn off contaminates in the oil-maybe every three mos. More often ? Or could we get by with less frequent ?

------------------
Jack and Daiva
1988 Barth Regal

First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by brandman:
Great ! How often do you think we should pull anchor and take her out ? I'm thinking to start and just idle once per mo and an actual drive to burn off contaminates in the oil-maybe every three mos. More often ? Or could we get by with less frequent ?

My own preference would be to drive it once a month, if nothing else, to exercise the tires. Tires like to move, so they can "bloom" the preservatives from the rubber to the exterior of the sidewalls. Also, they don't like the stress of sitting with the sidewalls stressed in the same spot all the time.

I would avoid any idling without a full drive. Idling does more harm than good.

And run the generator at full load once a month for an hour or two.

posted Hide Post
Well.... she's been sitting for about four and a half months now, with some idling in between so I guess we're a tad over due.
Thanks Bill.

------------------
Jack and Daiva
1988 Barth Regal