Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

External antenna
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/17
posted
Greetings,
We found a dwarf 22' that needs lots of TLC...looking for data tag for this Euro. After mechanicals I need to focus on roof and ceiling repair and have been reading all your great advice regarding these issues. I anticipate patching some existing openings and installing a Jack antenna. I'd like to be done with the roof mods and was wondering if anyone has first hand experience with cellular reception before and after installing a Wilson external antenna. Most here say no problems with reception but just curious what you all have found. Also, any recommendations regarding external WiFi antennas while parked.
Thanks,
Bill

Posts: 32 | Location: Highland, Michigan | Member Since: 02-02-2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill & Debbie:
wondering if anyone has first hand experience with cellular reception before and after installing a Wilson external antenna.

I generally use a Wilson trucker antenna mounted on an angle bolted to the top edge of the driver's side window frame.

In difficult areas, I use a 20 ft mast and a Wilson 304411 yagi and a Wilson 801245 SOHO amplifier with their 12 volt power supply.

Some folks will tell you that there are problems using the SOHO in an RV. I suspect they do not own all metal RVs like we have.

Every area is different, and Verizon lies on their coverage maps.

quote:
Also, any recommendations regarding external WiFi antennas while parked.

We use Verizon's "Mobile Hotspot" feature on our Droid Razr. It is $30 per month, and can be turned on and off, as you need it.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/19
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
"and Verizon lies on their coverage maps."
But is more valid, and better coverage than most, based on experience by me and many others in the Smokies last week.

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mogan David:
"and Verizon lies on their coverage maps."
But is more valid, and better coverage than most, based on experience by me and many others in the Smokies last week.

Yes, they have more coverage. Just not as good as their maps claim.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the feedback. On the receiving end of your antenna do you use a booster similar to one of these:
http://www.wilsonelectronics.c...category/38/wireless

It looks like it amplifies the signal and delivers via an antenna that mounts inside the vehicle... no direct connection to your phone or Verizon hotspot.

This cradle with built in charger might be better but only serves the connected device. I'm thinking of using my iPhone as a hotspot for other onboard wireless devices.

Thanks again,
Bill

Posts: 32 | Location: Highland, Michigan | Member Since: 02-02-2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill & Debbie:
Thanks for the feedback. On the receiving end of your antenna do you use a booster similar to one of these:
http://www.wilsonelectronics.c...category/38/wireless

It looks like it amplifies the signal and delivers via an antenna that mounts inside the vehicle... no direct connection to your phone or Verizon hotspot.

Thanks again,
Bill

We use the 811210 or the 801245 booster, depending on the area. They were purchased before the advent of 4G. If higher data speed in 4G areas is important to you, the 4G booster in your link might be the one.

VZ claims better reach and range with 4G, but I haven't seen it. I think the 811212 in your link is a later model that has a little more gain than the 811210.

Our 811210 connects to the phone with a 301143 velcro pad.

Talk to the Wilson folks in Utah. Every one I have called is very competent.

posted Hide Post
Will do, thanks again.

First Month Member
posted Hide Post
Added a couple part numbers to earlier posts.