Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

A question for Barth owners
 Login now/Join our community

posted
For several years now, I have been considering a quality used motorhome. We just sold our 37' Titanium 5th wheel and want to replace it with something that is safer on the road. I have looked at bus conversions and Bluebirds and even was foolish enough to want to do my own conversion. Only problem is I don't have 2 years to devote to it. We just want to get something to be able to get in and drive. I don't mind remodeling and maintenance but not a ground up build. Yes, I do have a question about fuel economy. With rising prices it will be a concern as to how much travel we will be able to afford. (I know you gazillionaires out there feel that "if you have to ask, you shouldn't do it anyway") Point is is that I don't have stock options and a huge retirement fund available. I'm just an ordinary guy that will have to live off his kids eventually as past relationships took most of what I had. We plan to sell our inn and that will be our retirement. We would like to do a fulltimer thing as long as we are able. Now, my question is...If you can be unbiased, please tell me the advantages of a Barth diesel motorhome over a Bluebird?

Thanks,
Terry Neumann
Mrs B's Historic Lanesboro Inn, Inc.

Posts: 25 | Location: Lanesboro MN | Member Since: 09-01-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/09
Founder and Moderator Emeritus
Picture of Dave Bowers
posted Hide Post
quote:
Mrs B's Historic Lanesboro Inn, Inc

Well I will start by telling you that Lanesboro and surrounding areas (Minnesota Bluff Country) is at least as beautiful as anyplace in the world. In fact a few years ago we had a great Barth Rally at the Old Barn Resort, one of the nicest rv parks anywhere with indoor pool and great golf course to boot. So now back to your question.

I would like to respond that Barth is the most wonderful motorhome in the world on every account. Most people who would buy a 1992 38 foot Barth Regency would be very happy with the Corian, Leather, solid cherry cabinets, full air ride Gillig or Spartan chassis, with 300 hp CAT or Cummins. You could buy one for $50-60K. The same Bluebird would have the same Corian, Leather etc. but with a 500 HP Detroit, 300 gal gas tank, etc. and it would cost you from $100-150K.

By the way if there are any gazillioneers here they are sure hiding it. I think the big cultural dif here is that some know gear boxs, stars, guitars and now cool bed and breakfast places.

If you ain't been here, you ain't been

Posts: 557 | Location: Eden Prairie, Minnesota | Member Since: 02-07-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Haoleman:
Yes, I do have a question about fuel economy. With rising prices it will be a concern as to how much travel we will be able to afford. (I know you gazillionaires out there feel that "if you have to ask, you shouldn't do it anyway")
Oh yeah, we have some people like that. No, not Gazzilionaires. The one's that say "if you have to ask you shouldn't do it anyway" Big Grin
quote:
Originally posted by Haoleman:
I'm just an ordinary guy that will have to live off his kids eventually as past relationships took most of what I had.
There is a wealth of information on this site. You should read some of these posts in greater detail. Looking for a Motor home shouldn't put you into the poor house. If your smart about it you can travel the country and see great things while working at campgrounds doing light duty stuff. Being a caretaker/owner of a B&B should make you a desirable candidate.

Dave's right about quality and cost between the two. You'll get more bang for the buck with a Barth. Now if fuel economy is a BIG concern check the coaches out that has the 5.9L in them. You'll suffer some on speed but you'll see more of the country instead of whizzing right past it.

Bill N.Y.

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
posted Hide Post
Just the other day i figured out that when we are in one spot working for a few months in the winter or summer it is costing us about $240 a month for space rental, sewer, garbage, water, and electric. Much cheaper than having a house and when the weather gets nasty we move. Big Grin Of course when we move we have fuel costs but if you are not moving every day or every week or even every month it is not that big a deal....after all how much would it cost you to move your house and car? Smiler I think during our 2004 trip of 15 states and 10,000 miles we used a little less than 1500 gallons of fuel at a cost of just over $3000. Not bad for having a ball for almost 7 months. Some people can't fulltime and travel unless they have a 6 figure income and some people do it on $10,000 a year.

Posts: 878 | Location: Left side, top to bottom and back again. :>) | Member Since: 09-08-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Barth owners tend not to be rich but frugal. As Dave mentioned, one can get a 38' Regency for $50-60K when a new 28' Class C stick-and-staple SOB will cost the same or more. The Regency will be in the same league as a $350,000 motorhome, even without slideouts.

Most Breakaways will get 10+ mpg with the 5.9L Cummins. (Mine's an exception with the GM 6.5L TD, about 9.5).

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey, thanks for the info. We spent the summer of 04 in Sarasota. We were forced to travel every week out of the state to avoid the hurricanes. I found how expensive it was to do all that traveling when diesel was non-existant. In fact, we were twice evaced right into the path of two of them. Very exciting to ride out a hurricane in a 5th wheel. I got to spend the day moving my truck arouind to keep from being smacked by trees! I love the smell of disasters in the morning!!! Example ...Ivan the terrible. It chased us alway to Oklahoma.Only a mere 1400 miles from Sarasota. Decided we would have to go back to new england for the winter to regroup. Towing a huge five-er with a 3/4 ton truck is really being on the edge, hence our desire for a motorhome. I'm not interested in going over the Rockies at 70mph so a smaller engine that would get us there would be just fine for us. 9-19 I can live with but not 5mpg.

I'll keep exploring this site. Thanks again and if any of you get to lanesboro, please stop by.

Terry.
www.mrsbsinn.com

Posts: 25 | Location: Lanesboro MN | Member Since: 09-01-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/09
Founder and Moderator Emeritus
Picture of Dave Bowers
posted Hide Post
If I every have another rally, (doubtful) it will be in Lanesboro again.. perfect weather, no mosquitos, (all rivers no standing water) and tons of stuff to do. Plus it is beautiful.

Posts: 557 | Location: Eden Prairie, Minnesota | Member Since: 02-07-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gunner
posted Hide Post
"We spent the summer of 04 in Sarasota.... Decided we would have to go back to new england for the winter to regroup....."

FIRST: Spend Summers in New England, and Winters in Sarasota (FLa). This will solve most of your problems, esp. Hurricanes.
Second: "Barth owners tend not to be rich but frugal."
Frugal folks tend to be rich - relatively and comparatively. If you own a Barth, no matter the age, people will assume you are rich (which may -or may not- please you).

"You are what you drive" - Clint Eastwood

Posts: 474 | Location: Republic of Texas | Member Since: 12-31-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
"If you own a Barth, no matter the age, people will assume you are rich "

I've had that comment from a couple of people...

But then I've had that too because my car is a Lexus LS400. I bought the Lexus at a dealer auction, and paid $2.5K less than an Accord or Camry (and could've made up the difference right on the spot, because several dealers missed the sale and wanted me to sell it...). But I kept it - nice car, but not as much fun (or as useful) as the Mazda 929S my ex-wife borrowed and fried the engine.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
"That man is richest whose pleasures are cheapest."

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
Then again, it's also been said that he who dies with the biggest toys wins....... Smiler

Posts: 1266 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Member Since: 09-12-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shadow man:
...i figured out that when we are in one spot working for a few months ... it is costing us about $240 a month for space rental, sewer, garbage, water, and electric.
Wow, that's fantastic! When your working a campground doesn't the space get included? I take it your not working campgrounds.

I see these campgrounds and some cost from $25 to $50 a night. That's $750-$1500 a month for a piece of dirt and electrical. You can stay in a Wal-Mart parking lot for only so long. Do you have a campground membership? What other tricks, state parks etc., do you use to stay that low?

The whole full timer thing interest me. I'd like to learn a little bit more about it. I think you said something about escapees.com is a good place to look.

You know, whatever you do, the first person you meet out there will tell you everything that you did wrong and how they did it so much better. It's like getting an airline seat for $195 and the person next to you tells you how it only cost them $100. You feel like a chump!

I know there are several "friendly states" to have a po box out of for registration, taxes, insurance, mail forwarding services etc... Do you need to establish residency for x amount of years first for anything? What's your take on some of the more important issues out there for a full timer?

I plan on retiring with a couple of bucks (not gazillions) in the bank. What do you do out there to have a positive cash flow while checking out the country? What would you recommend for Mr. & Ms. John Q. Public if there in fair to good health?

Bill N.Y.

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bill N.Y. - Those are some very good questions that I wonder about also. Some people seem to be able to work out all of the details (maybe it's called PLANNING) so that they can enjoy retirement rather than working all of their life. I think that a book could be written covering your questions - and probably has been. I have seen a similar publication regarding full time sailing after retirement. I have a friend that is retired military and he plans on staying on various bases at a great discount - maybe free, I can't remember. He plays their golf courses also - cheap. Let's hear the secret to success - -

Posts: 25 | Location: Grand Prairie TX USA | Member Since: 03-18-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
"What do you do out there to have a positive cash flow while checking out the country? "

Here's an intriguing take on some part-time cash:

Recently went to Home Depot for some electrical supplies...the dept. sales rep was extremely knowlegeable, spoke fluent English and was a pleasure to talk to & get good info.....(What a rare experience!)

Turns out he was "quasi-semi-retired", touring the country for a couple years with the bride in a 32' motorhome and taking a month to see Washington sights.....he's a retired electrician who signed-on with Home Depot at corporate for temporary part-time work. HD forwards his personnel files to wherever he instructs them, and if he wants to hang-out in an area for awhile and make some gas money, he calls the local store mgr. He's already pre-qualified and just works out a schedule agreeable to both parties. Sometimes a few days, maybe a week, etc. No stocking or heavy work, just being a departmental answer-man....

He says the big box stores are always looking for folks with life experiences in all phases of construction, appreciate the work ethic of older staff and corporate wants to use their talents wherever they travel.....I would think other chains either do this already or will soon follow suit........

For those with the right knowledge, experience and people-skills, this might be an enjoyable option while on-the-road......

Posts: 1266 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Member Since: 09-12-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
So then, if the Misses works at a campground and he works at a Home Depot things are pretty easy? You burn up several hours in a day and can see the sites during the off times. It sounds like a good way to keep the mind sharp too!

I like meeting new people and hearing about where they've been and what they have done. Being a roadservice mechanic I meet new people everyday. I love reading the Barth Journeys part of this site the most, I can't wait to hear about Burningman.

Bill N.Y.