Tools
Reply To This Topic

A question for Barth owners
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/09
Founder and Moderator Emeritus
Picture of Dave Bowers
posted Hide Post
Deb and I have met a ton of folks who are retired Military or one couple were both IRS retirees and travel full time.

But the most unique and interesting couple were both nurses. As you can imagine there is a huge nurse shortage and especially in virtually every hospital there is someone going on maternity leave or such. These folks had signed up with a nurse temp service and they only worked together and a max of 90 days in one place. They cleared 80 grand a year...each. They only worked 9 months a year and get this..they loved motor homing but loved cruised even more. So the three months they were off they did nothing but go on cruises all over the world. Obviously a childless couple in their 40's and loving life...

Posts: 557 | Location: Eden Prairie, Minnesota | Member Since: 02-07-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
posted Hide Post
Ok i will answer a few quick questions...(its late and i gotta get to bed soon). We have a Western Horizons membership that we use here in Wa. during the summer. $3 a nite (frozen for life) plus $1 a nite for elec. After paying $10 to $40 a nite on our trip in 2004 it was real easy to see that a membership would pay for itself real quick. Especially since rates will only go up in the years to come. Tip #1, buy a used membership....much cheaper but be sure to check out what you are getting, there can be a lot of differences between them. We bought a new one but it will still pay for itself in 3 years or less. In the winter we rent a lot in Yuma for $235 a month + electric. It has a casita on it with a bathroom and a washing machine. I am a heavy equipment operator so i make good money here but less in AZ because it is a right to work state. I just call the union hall a week or 2 before we head north or south and usually within a month or less i have a job. We have a mail service in Az. so that is our state of residence....all of our rigs are titled there. Have to pay Az state income tax even on our Wa. earnings but since i work in Az too i have no choice. When i fully retire i may change everything to another state with no income tax but that is a few years off. Biggest issue is health insurance....gotta have it, my wife has had serious health problems in the past. Lots of $$$$$ even with insurance, would have ruined us without insurance. That is one of the main reasons i still work. There are books out there about fulltiming but i don't recall the names at this time. Best is to talk to people you meet and see how they are doing it. If you don't mind dry camping you can cut your costs even further. Bill since you are a roadservice mechanic you could find work at a lot of places like rv dealers during their peak seasons. Or find a new line of work that interests you....its a big world out there and there are a lot of things that you can do to make a few bucks.

Posts: 878 | Location: Left side, top to bottom and back again. :>) | Member Since: 09-08-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post