Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Class C road manners
 Login now/Join our community

posted
Evening all:Barth wannabe (maybe) that has been surfing here for a long time, and stealing some great ideas.
I have a 1979 Prevost Liberty conversion, 35 footer, rather rare. Looking to add something smaller, no toad etc.
I have started a conversation with the owner of the C listed in your want ads. My question is how is the ride and handling? Over on the Trek site, they go through a lot of machinations to get the vehicles to handle well, heavier springs, track bar (panhard) etc. Same on the Barth?
Any thoughts on the C? Chuckd Stillwater Mn

Posts: 73 | Location: Stillwater Mn | Member Since: 07-16-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I don't know what Class C you're referring to, but ,I had an '89 24' Fleetwood, Chevy C30 HD chassis (8,500#). That one had the 5.7L and TH400. It handled quite well EXCEPT in crosswinds over 20 mph, and was a real handful if those winds were gusty. I never got more than 9 mpg.

I think the mods the other forums mentioned are for the class A P30 chasses.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rusty you are correct, but chevy chassis have a lot in common between the van cutaways and the P30 or P32 chassis. The biggest issues that the Treks have are their susceptibility (sp)to cross winds and trucks passing. Similar to yours. The Treks have a lot of rear overhang, which I think contributes to their swaying in the breeze.

Chuckd
Stillwater Mn

Posts: 73 | Location: Stillwater Mn | Member Since: 07-16-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I looked at a 28' Trek FrED before I bought the Barth. I think a couple of issues affect the Trek handling. One is the front track which is less than my Spartan chassis. The second is that I have a solid front axle while the C30 has unequal wishbone IFS.

My Breakaway has a 146" wheelbase - only 2" longer than my 1T LWB Ford van (my rear overhang greatly exceeds the 28' Treks), yet passing semis provide only a slight nudge. I've driven the Barth in gusty crosswinds >35 mph, and my report is "You have to drive it, but you don't have to fight it." My only gripe about driving in high winds? Wind noise!

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/19
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
Class C motorhomes are generally notorious for being white-knuckle-makers in cross winds and for being very thirsty. The wood framed ones are also notorious for structure failure and wood rot.
But, if you mean the vintage Barth C from CO recently posted,
http://westslope.craigslist.org/rvs/4160158609.html
I think it would be a nice, solid C otherwise, if you are willing to put a number of hour$ into it.

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It is the Colorado class C. Looks good, but sometimes they all do in the Internet pics.

Chuckd

Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
figure on spending at least $2K more than you spend to get it

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
GM chassis Class A Barths are often built on a little higher weight rated chassis than similar brands. The same might apply to Barth class C coaches.

I have only owned one class C MH, on a Dodge chassis, and it was OK. It did not have a lot of overhang, though. The holding tank was way in back, and it handled better with it empty.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
GM chassis Class A Barths are often built on a little higher weight rated chassis than similar brands. The same might apply to Barth class C coaches.

I'd guess, due the rear entry, it's not a 27' but a 23'. The cab looks like a C30 HD cutaway, 8,500# GVW.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/19
Picture of StinkyDaddy
posted Hide Post
"These babies have a cult following"...

Bill & Sherrie
'65 Barth Travel Trailer (built in '64)
B1-174-24
'66 Barth Travel Trailer
D11-412-24
www.WilliamMitchellStudios.com

Posts: 549 | Location: Southern Virginia | Member Since: 09-21-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Be careful with that "c" word! (you may be on thin ice, ask Kevin) ROTFLMAO

I guess since I am an "official Barth junkie" I must be a member of this elite cult? And we have a Grand Wizard... Hey we may be dysfunctional, but we're family!

If I had a pole barn I'd get a diesel pusher, a class C and a trailer with my Regal and have a proper shrine!

Good luck with the Class C, welcome to the "Barth enablers forum" cheers

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5195 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ryegal
posted Hide Post
Hi I have a class C Barth a 1975 and I love it. One time in Idaho with bad winds and I learned fast to get off at next exit lol.. Now can anyone tell me what is the size of my holding tank???? I have my manual but it does not give the size? As most of you know I LOVE MY Barth

Proud owner of a 1975 classic class C

Posts: 94 | Location: Seattle,wa,usa | Member Since: 12-31-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ryegal:
Hi I have a class C Barth a 1975 and I love it... Now can anyone tell me what is the size of my holding tank???? I have my manual but it does not give the size? As most of you know I LOVE MY Barth

32 gal
https://www.barthmobile.com/eve...1087061/m/5223960557