Tools
Reply To This Topic

Big Stink in Florida
 Login now/Join our community

FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted
Read an article the other day that delighted me. Florida wants to add a whole bunch of smallish campgrounds to many of its most popular State Parks that currently have no overnight facilities. Two of them are very close by, Weeki Wachee SP (a couple of miles away and home of the mermaids) and Honeymoon Island (20 miles south).

But.....hold on......lots of people are objecting now. It's not a surprise that they seem to fall into two camps 1) other campground owners who don't want any competition and 2) people who hate our Governor Rick Scott so object to anything he suggests.

What I've experienced in Florida is that the economic crunch has turned many of the older, quaint campgrounds into nothing but catch-all permanent living camps. Don't get me wrong, they have their own charm, but they are not a place where you are among mostly vacationers or overnight RVs, rather you hear all the hard luck stories of why a family is reduced to living in an old camper. I feel for them, but I didn't want to "Get away" to be in that environment.

The other end of the spectrum are the high end, expensive, luxury campgrounds that are nice, but still not the ambiance I'm looking for and costly at that.

So the real diamonds are Florida's awesome State Parks. Many of you have been to Hillsborough SP to the Winter Gathering and get a good feel for the very woodsie, clean environment the state has preserved.

So anyway, I'm all for it!!! I think it's much needed. I hope it passes and we have more great choices. I can't wait to go camp right down the road at Weeki Wachee. Camping with the mermaids, I can't think of much better.

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DougZ
posted Hide Post
I too like this idea Corey. The less time spent driving on a weekend, the more time you can relax at the campfire. The only proviso I want is that they be self sustaining. I don't want to pay for other peoples recreation, so I don't think they should have to pay for mine.

Doug

W4JDZ

Posts: 567 | Location: Warrenton, N.C. | Member Since: 03-27-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't want to pay for other peoples recreation, so I don't think they should have to pay for mine.

Right on! (my God, I sound like John Denver confusion)

The other part of the equation is the Governor wants to lease the rights out to private companies with strict state guidelines and approvals. This would mean it is actually a money generator for Florida. In NH, where I came from, they did this with the State Ski Areas and they thrived afterwards. The private companies have a big incentive to keep the facility clean and attractive as there is no hope of capital gains, just operating income.

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of carlflack
posted Hide Post
I'm all for Florida state parks. As a state resident and a senior citizen, I can't beat the price tag of $13.00 per night and don't have to travel around the world to get there.........

Former owner of "THE TOY"
1988 Barth Regal SE 33' Tag
1992 Barth Breakaway 32'
2005 Coachmen Mirada 32' DS

Posts: 592 | Location: North Fort Myers, Florida, USA | Member Since: 11-20-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/11
Picture of lenny and judy
posted Hide Post
IDON'T MIND PAYING for nice campgrounds hate bad ones .We do not have that many campgrounds that we can camp at that are owned by the state most of them on the west coast are day parks for picnickers. All for it .what is wrong with scott anyway.going to Shady Acres next week they accept Campgrounds of America only $20.00 small spots but cement pad all most on all .Pool is 90deg even in winter and have a lot of parties free thanksgiving dinner, pool party every Wednesday. new shuffle board and horse shoes with coffee in the pot.
lenny
sound like I am trying to talk somebody into it two lakes large patio on the lake they know us by site when we pull in.

lenny and judy
32', Regency, Cummins 8.3L, Spartan Chassis, 1992
Tag# 9112 0158 32RS 1B

Posts: 790 | Location: Naples Florida,g.g. | Member Since: 02-06-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post