Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Barth Relevancy
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of Gunner
posted
Re the two most recent "Discussion" posts on pensions and whatever the other is: These may be of interest, but they are not relevant to Barth. (Aside: I don't see how either leads to a "discussion".)
My (unsolicited) opinion: neither of these posts belong on the Barthmobile website.
Gunner aka Grinch

"You are what you drive" - Clint Eastwood

Posts: 474 | Location: Republic of Texas | Member Since: 12-31-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/09
posted Hide Post
My understanding of the "General Discussion" area is that the topics can be about anything... doesn't have to be related to Barth at all. The opening line description os this area states "Talk about anything and everything." Most internet forums have similar areas for off-topic threads.

Posts: 374 | Location: Illinois | Member Since: 10-09-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Gunner, that other forum I haunt (www.cloudynights.com) has an extensive "off topic" section. The feature has proven very useful due to the broad expertise of the 36,000 members. Maybe such a dedicated spot would allow Barthers to tap general knowledge. I know I've gotten many queries on Cloudy Nights about insurance...and have been able to rid folks of erroneous "picket fence" misconceptions.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/12
Picture of ZIM
posted Hide Post
As the poster of the "lost pension" post, and gunners
personal objection to this and another post. well as scottydl has said as it is titled in the general discussion forum, here is what it says;

Talk about anything and everything. In these pages you'll find some good recipes and the meaning of "Dark Suckers". If you don't own a "50 amp Male to Male cord", then you ain't living! Pull up a chair and share your thoughts.

now maybe mr. gunner does not think any posts not related to barth, dont belong in here, but it is his opinion,and not all posts are relevent to him personally, (he does own an awesome looking coach) but as rusty stated there are thousands of others who troll this site whom might find it of interest. now since the post was on only a short period of time i have seen 60+ members who were interested in it enough to read it. so therefore it does have relevancy to help raise awareness and try and help the fellow members whom might have a lost pension. although i have been not here a very long time, i try to offer something of use,and also as i see that i am in the very "VERY
SMALL" minority here who also financially support this site. for those of you who dont know what im talking about, when first logging onto this site ,on the homepage to the right is a "PAYPAL" button whereas you can help to financially support this great site.as everyone knows there is little in life that is free, someone has to pay the light bill. i know mr.bowers and know mr.bill_ny know this is a money pit. one of my biggest reasons why i contribute is cuz i have similiar interests as rusty and enjoy reading about the astronomy (which is not barth related) and his adventures, and also i have learned alot about my coach
which would have costed alot more at the rv sites at 90-150 an hour charge...this site is a bargain..so sorry i got off the beaten path, but i guess now i have posted some barth relevancy, so since its the season of giving, dont forget about the home where most of you spend your time, it will only make this place a better place and who knows,maybe if enough peeps donate it could be used to help a needy brother or sister in this site, just IMHO. so also if you contribute you do get some fancy writing below your avatar. and it doesnt have to be alot,every little bit helps..im not here to preach only to make you aware what is out there from lost pensions to free bloodsugar
testers..its all free....happy holidays to all!!

ZIM

Posts: 61 | Location: Pennsylvania | Member Since: 06-17-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
Not to pile on here, but the General Discussion Forum is for "Off Topic" or "On Topic" stuff. It is, I believe, an area for "General Chit-Chat".

I can honestly say, the added stuff that I have found in the "General Discussion Area" has given me a small window into what other people holds near and dear to them.

I loved hearing about Dave's Guitar playing. How boring would it be if no one knew how to make a male to male plug? I would like to make some of the recipes that I have seen on these boards. Without that area I don't think that I would have known that Gunner was in the Marine Corp. As my father would say "There are no former Marines"

While certain topics might provoke an emotional response and could be considered "Hot Button Topics" or "Over the Top" posts, the two posts being talked about holds nothing that should be moved, removed or moderated.

Post 1 and Post 2

Please, if anyone is going to add additional content to this discussion, keep it "On track" and "Level headed" and if I am off base, tell me. I have a thick skin.

Thank you.

Bill N.Y.

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
It really boils down to what the moderator wants to monitor. Off topic stuff can take up a lot of time. On some forums, it can get pretty contentious, as there are frustrated people out there, and anonymity can sometimes cause people to say things they might not say otherwise. And some people just want a soapbox.

One forum has a section titled, "Don't go There".

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gunner
posted Hide Post
"It really boils down to what the moderator wants to monitor."

It wasn't a request for the moderator to censor/remove a post; it may have been poorly phrased, but it was intended to be "a topic for discussion". And, to some extent, it is working.

"You are what you drive" - Clint Eastwood

Posts: 474 | Location: Republic of Texas | Member Since: 12-31-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/09
Founder and Moderator Emeritus
Picture of Dave Bowers
posted Hide Post
If the pensions post was one of these fly by night "search your neighbors" credit report then it would be inappropriate, but the website led to government agency that makes sure BillH's airline pension is still there, (or at least part of it) if the Airline goes belly up.

I few years ago I was watching CNN and it told about some movies stars who had hundreds of thousands of dollars in unclaimed cash in the State of California. I went to the website and dropped in my Dad's name Albert Thurlo Bowers and wow $3400.00 was sitting there. When I was in elementary school and we lived at 1339 Chaffey Court, Ontario, CA my dad worked for an insurance company and made some commission he never claimed. Now here we are almost 50 years later and with the interested we have $3400.00 which I had to share with my bro in Ojai, CA. So these kinds of "legitimate" search websites are a public service. I trust BillNY to discern the good ones from the not good ones..

Posts: 557 | Location: Eden Prairie, Minnesota | Member Since: 02-07-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sloop John B
posted Hide Post
Dave; Good things come to those who have or have owned Barths Wink

JKB

88 28' Regal 454
Blue/Silver metalflake

Posts: 706 | Location: 103 miles west of Milford & 1.75 Miles from Lincoln oasis on I-80 | Member Since: 01-05-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post