Tools
Reply To This Topic

Pay Pal Fraud
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/09
Founder and Moderator Emeritus
Picture of Dave Bowers
posted
If you have a Pay Pal account and it seems like most of us do, and even if you don't you will receive some of the most realistic looking emails telling you that you account has been closed or about to be closed or for security reasons you must "sign in" and take care of the proplem.

HOW CAN I TELL IF IT IS FRAUD??

The following is from Pay Pal's website and this the best way to tell..

Look for a PayPal Greeting: PayPal will never send an email with the greeting "Dear PayPal User" or "Dear PayPal Member." Real PayPal emails will address you by your first and last name or the business name associated with your PayPal account. If you believe you have received a fraudulent email, please forward the entire email—including the header information—to spoof@paypal.com. We investigate every spoof reported. Please note that the automatic response you get from us may not address you by name.

The following are a couple of the screens you may see. Note how professional they look. Pay Pal NEVERaskes for info like this. So don't fall for it....EVER..

Posts: 557 | Location: Eden Prairie, Minnesota | Member Since: 02-07-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
My own rule, if security information is an issue, is to NEVER click on to a link from an E mail. I only use links from my bookmarks or just enter the URL manually.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Just a couple of days ago, we received one of these requests, asking us to update our information by clicking on a site. Fortunately, we didn't update anything. We sent an email to Pay Pal, attaching the suspicious email, and they said it was an absolute fraud. I'm beginning to wonder just how wonderful the internet really is. Wish there was some other way to have such a nice group as Barthmobile.

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
My wife, Tere, contacted Pay Pal by phone and they said any emails requesting you to click on something or requesting personal information, to forward the email to spoof@paypal.com and they will inform you if it is a fraudulent request or not.

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Dave Bowers
posted Hide Post
I decided to post this when I received both of those emails shown above this morning.

I don't know how to say this and not sound un PC. I am a committed Christian and try to live my live that way but I am not a "thumper" if you know what I mean.

But in the Bible there is much talk about the pitfalls of having too much "knowledge of the world". I think that the internet along with all that it provides us, illuminates so many areas of life that should stay in the closet. It raises to daily consciousness stuff that one would only think about periodically or in a moment of weakness. I think in years past most of the time you only had to worry about fraud if you were living in the shadows. Now it is something we have to filter out of everyday life.

Maybe I lived a sheltered life but other than in National Geographic I was not exposed to a woman's anatomy till I was like 12 when a friend had a Playboy magazine. And then, it was only above the navel that we were exposed too.

Now by the time a kid is 9 he (or she) has probably seen videos of every sex act imaginable. I want to see some psychological test on how many 19 year olds are jaded and just sick of sex all together rather than being excited about the mystery of it all.

Well there's my soapbox for the day..

Sorry for rambling..

Posts: 557 | Location: Eden Prairie, Minnesota | Member Since: 02-07-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
I forward those things to

www.spoof@paypal.com

or

www.spoof@ebay.com

in the hopes that it helps them track down and shut down the phishers.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It amazes me how realistic these emails are. I almost clicked on one earlier this week. I believe that we have received three such "Notices" this week. I too send them to spoof. Isn't ironic that so many internet companies have somebody named "Spoof" working there? Wink

Posts: 25 | Location: Grand Prairie TX USA | Member Since: 03-18-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
The General Rule is quite simple: NEVER open suspicious email, and NEVER click on a link.

Better yet, get a reliable email screener such as Mailwasher

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
posted Hide Post
Must be different types of shadows.....i like the shadows i live in. Big Grin

Posts: 878 | Location: Left side, top to bottom and back again. :>) | Member Since: 09-08-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rusty - I was going to download your "Mailwasher", but it's hard to do without clicking on a link, which I never do.

Posts: 25 | Location: Grand Prairie TX USA | Member Since: 03-18-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Smart position. However, for any hyperlinks, you can put your cursor over it and right-click, then "properties" to determine the URL. This also applies to email, if there's a suspicious link.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
NEVER open suspicious email, and NEVER click on a link.
quote:
Originally posted by Philipp2:
I was going to download your "Mailwasher", but it's hard to do without clicking on a link, which I never do.
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
Smart position.
ROTFLMAO: Now that's funny Cool

Bill N.Y.

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Dave Bowers
posted Hide Post
quote:
ROTFLMAO: Now that's funny

"Rotten Florida Mayonaise"
"Do you do Pillates?" "No I ROTFLMAO"
"Italian/Chinese Dictator"
"New Mayor of Newburgh, NY Giancanni Rotflmao"

TISFS

"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
My good friend Rusty turned me onto that saying. I understand that it stands for "Rolling On The Floor Laughing My A$$ Off".

Seeing that he turned me onto the word and I was kidding with him I thought it appropriate to use it here.

I have used it on several occasions (like when you said you would get to the bottom of the P30 v. P32 debate) and it seems to be understood by most on the net. At the time he used it on me I hadn't a clue what it stood for either.

So, what's a TISFS Dave?

Bill N.Y.

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Dave Bowers
posted Hide Post
TISFS

"That is some funny S**t