Forums    General Discussions    Maybe buying a Monarch?
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Maybe buying a Monarch?
 Login now/Join our community

posted
Hey all!

A friend of mine has a 1996 38’ Monarch for sale. I know this was built by the new owner. And wondered if there’s anything I should be looking for specifically related to weak points in the body etc. I am going to have it inspected by a truck shop nearby to get an idea on the airbags etc, and I’ll get an oil analysis to cover my bases.

Posts: 5 | Location: Chicago | Member Since: 10-06-2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
With the Spartan chassis Cummins/Allison driveline, most truck shops are familiar with the chassis. Tires, air brakes, brake linings, air suspension, tie rods, king pins, etc. Mine needed axle seals in all four corners.

As for the coach itself, just check things over. ACs, furnace, refrigerator, water heater, generator, batteries are all subject to periodic replacement. Check the cargo bay floors for rust. Some cargo bay doors do leak.

Be sure to check the radiator and cooling system. Both Dana and I have replaced the clogged radiators on our Monarchs. Much better engine temperature control.

Overall they are reliable quality coaches. They have a curved truss roof which is stronger and has better drainage than the flat roof earlier models. Sadly, like the later Barth coaches, they have marginal insulation, Reflectix instead of full fiberglass.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5194 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Dana!

The cab AC is not working. He was told this is typical for a spartan chassis. Does yours still work? It also does not work on high fan speed

Posts: 5 | Location: Chicago | Member Since: 10-06-2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
My dash air worked at one point but quit fairly early. It was an R12 system that was leaking. I did not try to revive it. Since then I have used my generator and roof ACs while on the road.

The fan and heater controls were Chrysler units. The fan switch probably failed. I replaced mine for the same reason. The switches are still available but the control units are not.

Another system worth checking is the leveling system. They are HWH units and some have problems.

Good luck with your inspections.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5194 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’m going Thursday, wish me luck!

What kind of MPG are you getting without a towed?

posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the help!

Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
At 70mph (1900 rpm) on flat roads, no winds, no toad, we see 8.3 mpg or better. Best was 9.2 mpg.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 08/21
posted Hide Post
Is this coach green in color by chance?

Posts: 34 | Location: Knoxville,Tn | Member Since: 09-07-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post