Forums    General Discussions    Gremlins are electric!
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Gremlins are electric!
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of BarthBluesmobile
posted
Or are they mechanical? When I get to the resolution, I'll add a note to the "tech talk" area...

Alternator was failing to charge the battery. I guessed it was the alternator and swapped the older alternator back in. I guessed wrong. I found that front of the radiator, there was a 5A fuse that was blown, and it was providing 12V to the stator circuit of the alternator. Replaced fuse; no change. Battery still not charging. I turn key to off position, remove key. I note that the engine is still running nicely, even though the voltage indicator is showing about 10V. Removing the battery from the circuit got the engine to stop.

The Chevrolet wiring manual shows that the distributor is powered directly from the key controlled ignition switch.

I've heard of mice eating wires. Are mine rewiring power connection paths? ROTFLMAO

I'll be back later,
Matt

1987 Barth 27' P32 Chassis
Former State Police Command Post
Chevrolet 454
Weiand Manifold, Crane Cam, Gibson Exhaust

Posts: 527 | Location: Massachusetts | Member Since: 07-28-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post