Tools
Reply To This Topic

Formal introduction from new members
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/16
Picture of Kirk & Elise
posted
Hello All,

Sincere apologies for not doing this sooner, especially since I've been seeking help, posting stories, etc. and it seems that what I am doing now should have been done initially.

Elise and I (mostly me) have lurked here for over a year, but I registered in June because we just purchased a nice little 22' Barth. It is a 1989 Regal 454 that has 30K miles. On my way home from Boston with it, I even got to meet BillNY. I was already on top of the world driving our new Barth home to PA when Bill himself pulls me over. Wow! cheers

Our search for a Barth over the past year had been limited to a smaller coach. We have a 25x25 pole garage with a concrete floor, insulation, etc. and this size Regal fit the bill perfectly. However, I was alarmed when the seller answered my first question with "I've only owned it two months". After much conversation, I was relieved to learn the story. This Barth has spent most of it's prior life in New Hampshire. When the original owners passed, it came into the possession of my seller's father-in-law. This man brought it out of storage and had the mechanicals gone over and rectified - new tires, fuel lines, hoses, brakes and lines, all new fluids, rear seal, new batteries, water pump, air horn compressor, electrical issues, tune-up, minor roof work, paint touch-up, etc. He and his wife then drove it from New England to Florida and back and parked it. Receiving little more use, he gave it to his daughter and son-in-law and said to use it, sell it, whatever they wanted. They needed a newer car more than the Barth, so that is how it came to be for sale. I didn't haggle the price, for the receipts for work done within the past couple of years made the asking price fair.

Photos from the original craigslist advertisement:

The exterior is in great condition with the exception of a top corner ding that I may be able to massage into looking better. The interior is very nice and doesn't look like much camping took place. The Onan genny has only 74 hrs. and starts right up, although not from the cabin. It will shut down from inside though, so I suspect a ground wire or something similar. The seller was honest about the fridge not working and I have a new cooling unit on order. He was not, however, either aware or forthcoming, about the mouse nest in the roof AC unit. I'm happy to report that it is all back together and working (on the bench) after a thorough cleaning and inspection. I'll get Elise's son Patrick to help me haul it back up to the roof once the headliner and cabinets are back in place. I still have other components to test and will keep my fingers crossed when doing so. I'll most likely be searching this site for "how-to's" with regard to water and propane systems.

Destruction after today's work:

Once I have the coach sorted out, we plan on some shorter trips toward the end of summer and hopefully longer journeys next year. The Barth runs down the road very nicely and we are excited to be looking forward to some 'open road' and new sights. We are also excited to be joining in with such a friendly, enthusiastic, and knowledgeable fraternity of folks here at Barthmobile.com.

I've one photo of just me with the Barth and I'll have to get another with Elise as soon as she consents to posing!

Cheers!

Kirk and Elise.

1989 22' Regal

Posts: 183 | Location: Northwestern PA | Member Since: 06-14-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JoshS
posted Hide Post
Very nice!!
It has basically the same floor plan as my 75' 20 footer. Nice thing about the shorter ones is you can pretty much go any where your truck can.

Posts: 90 | Location: Belfair, WA | Member Since: 10-16-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
Every once in awhile, the stars line up for a near perfect deal.....Congratulations!

Posts: 1266 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Member Since: 09-12-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
Hi Kirk, glad you got the rat problem taken care of. One thing I've found about the Onan is when the house batteries, which start the genny, are slightly low, the genny will start at the motor, but not the dash. I charge the batts and it will start from either place. Worth a try.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3482 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sloop John B
posted Hide Post
Welcome aboard, my ceiling is the same color as yours was, but not in bad shape. Exterior color scheme is the same as yours, and built in the spring of 88. All who wander are not lost cheers

JKB

88 28' Regal 454
Blue/Silver metalflake

Posts: 706 | Location: 103 miles west of Milford & 1.75 Miles from Lincoln oasis on I-80 | Member Since: 01-05-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of dustyjeeper
posted Hide Post
Welcome..
Very pretty coach.
I'm a sucker Tooling Along for the smaller Barths.

1978 Barth 17' Cabin Fever
1997 Barth 23' 4 door Command Center

Posts: 505 | Location: LaSalle CO | Member Since: 12-05-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/09
posted Hide Post
Great looking coach indeed. You can't argue with that list of new parts... enjoy your future road trips and welcome to the RV lifestyle!

Posts: 374 | Location: Illinois | Member Since: 10-09-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 9/10
Picture of kokoken
posted Hide Post
A cute unit for sure. I especially like the interior layout.

1979 24 footer

Posts: 65 | Location: Indiana | Member Since: 07-28-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/19
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
Kirk, thanks for the good narrative and photos.
Thumbs Up
Welcome

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/11
posted Hide Post
Welcome, No doubt you have a mighty fine looking coach, I really like the paint scheme the dark color really looks sharp! Interior looks pristine other than the sagging headliner. Mine has sagging only in the cabinet area, quess I've been lucky with that so far. I'm thinking mine might have been replaced because the color of the headliner is different that what's in the cabinets and closets.

You'll love the Barthmobile website, when I bought my Barth I didn't have a clue there was this huge Barth family out there untill I Googled Barth. What a great surprise! This site is loaded with help past, present and future, great bunch. However I know you've found that out already.

Wecome aboard indeed.

Posts: 259 | Location: SouthWest MI | Member Since: 08-12-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/16
Picture of Kirk & Elise
posted Hide Post
Thank you all for kind comments and 'welcome aboards'. Looking forward to all kinds of fun with this MH and site! Now, if I can get Elise away from her coffee and outside for a photo... java

1989 22' Regal

Posts: 183 | Location: Northwestern PA | Member Since: 06-14-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/09
Picture of Jeff & Joy
posted Hide Post
Kirk & Elise-

So glad you have a Barth, and a quite a cute one I may add!

Still laughing about your story of being pulled over in NY by Bill, I can only imagine. Although you should get used to that because Barth admirers are NOT shy and it will happen often.

Posts: 144 | Location: wolverine, michigan | Member Since: 07-24-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post