Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Bidding on Ebay
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of Don in Niagara
posted
How does it work? In spite of the fact I have bought a few items on Ebay the bid history of the 40' Regency that is currently at $51K doesn't make sense to me.
How can the same person bid up their own amount 5 or 6 times with continuous bids only seconds apart from each other? Even one of the regulars here on Barthmobile upped his own bid $500. I don't get it.
Do I just not know how this really works? It wouldn't be the first time, thats for sure!
Happy New Year.
Don

Posts: 630 | Location: Niagara Falls, Canada | Member Since: 11-09-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
Let's say the bidding is at $100 and you know you bid $150 then the bid displayed will only be $101. Now let's say another person bids $120, they will get the "you have been outbid" thing and the bidding will go to $120. Next guy says $130 then the bid price goes to $130. Then only bids you see displayed are successful bids. You see that there are unsuccessful bids because the successful bidders price keeps increasing. Now the skeptical person may thing that gulfstream24 is a buddy of the seller, who bid the $51K (a jump of $6K) for the primary reason of upping the reserve. Like Dale S. I ain't that guy.....yet..

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
posted Hide Post
If you click on the number of bids (at this time 47 ) it will take you to bid history and then click more about bidding and it will explain all kinds of things about how the bidding works, even about shills.

Posts: 878 | Location: Left side, top to bottom and back again. :>) | Member Since: 09-08-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't feel at 51k it is out of hand. It must have carried a MSRP of near $300k when built, which REALLY doesn't mean a HILL OF BEANS. It still boils down to WHAT someone is willing to pay for such. 50% off such means NOTHING when the MSRP was out of site. I can never understand what someone is thinking when the say they got $50,000. for their trade-in, when really the DIFFERENCE is all that counts. HOW MUCH IS IT GOING TO COST ME, is what I want to know. The reserve was approx. 40k so why would you want to have friends bit it up and then have a real buyer back off? The seller can still YANK the listing and sell off line, but would incure some EBAY fees. I am surprised that such hasn't happened, and it still might. One would think too that it has been inspected, and that would give the bidders more confidence. I'm sure there have been some phone calls and maybe even looked at first hand. I am going to GUESS the final price to be $53,100.00, IF IT STAYS ON EBAY. We may NEVER know what it goes for. FUN IS GOOD.

Posts: 629 | Location: INDY,IN USA | Member Since: 06-30-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post