Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

GPS
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of carlflack
posted
I would like to purchase a Garmin GPS unit that can be moved between the Barth,the sedan and the pick-up truck. Would appreciate any input as to model# cost,etc. For ease of viewing (safety)I would like as large a screen as practical. Any ideas on mounting the brackets without destroying the dashboards?...........carl

"THE TOY" 88 33' Regal SE Coach #3448

Posts: 592 | Location: North Fort Myers, Florida, USA | Member Since: 11-20-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Carl, you've gotta decide what features you want and how much you're willing to spend. Do you want color display? Do you want to load it with data from CD ROMS? etc.

It really chaps me to see what is available today compared to what I paid for mine a few years ago.

If I were loaded, I would buy the Garmin Nuvi 350 Pocket or Vehicle GPS Navigator with Integrated MP3 Player.

Our own compromise was to have one that could be carried when we hike hunt and fish. That makes it a smaller display which is not as easy to read when driving. However, we are more often likely to be lost on foot than driving.

With a Barth's vertical windshield, you will probably want a remote antenna to place right next to the windshield. The built in antenna doesn't work very well farther in.

When my son was a Navy SEAL, they tested and found the Garmin to be the most accurate and reliable.

Here is a good review site:

http://www.rated4stars.com/html/car-gps-reviews.html

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
posted Hide Post
I have a Garmin etrex for use when hiking...about $100.00 I also have a Magellan Roadmate 700 that i bought to use when we thought we were going to spend a lot of time back east. It mounts to the windshield with a suction cup mount and plugs into a lighter socket, easily moved from rig to rig or coach or whatever term you prefer. :> Since our plans have changed i have been thinking about selling it since i don't need it out here. Cost new was $1300.00, i would take $500.00 if anyone is interested in it. This thing talks to you when you have a turn or exit to make and will tell you if you missed your turn. I call her "Maggie". She has maps of all of the US and Canada and has over 2 million points of interest that you can access.

Posts: 878 | Location: Left side, top to bottom and back again. :>) | Member Since: 09-08-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
Carl,

I'll let other folks advise you on the geekee stuff, but for various mounting options, I don't think you can beat Ram products....

If they don't make it, you probably don't need it

http://www.ram-mount.com/

Posts: 1266 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Member Since: 09-12-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
Carl, Just a couple follow-up thoughts....

If you have other uses for a laptop, you may want to go that route.....In my case, I bought the software & GPS receiver from CW for under $175 (extra receivers can be had for under $40 for other vehicles if you'd prefer permanent mountings).

The laptop offers me:

1. Larger screen format for GPS - NICE!

2. Plenty of storage space for off-loading hi-res digital pics, keeping camera card empty & always available.

3. A logical place for trip logs & notes.

4. E-mail availability - the kids are always asking how we're spending THEIR money

5. DVD movies for evenings & rainy days

With RAM mounts, it's an easy-in, easy-out switch.........

Even if you don't use a laptop for other purposes, under $600 for a laptop and under $200 for GPS capability seems to be in the ballpark with higher-end stand-alone GPS's.

Just a thought.............

Posts: 1266 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Member Since: 09-12-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/11
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
Picture of Jack
posted Hide Post
Carl,
I use a combination of GPS devices. I have a Garmin GPS III+, which is now an older unit, but is capable of standalone operation. I have the cables to attach it to 12v power and the computer serial port, and an external antenna.
I also have, and use all the time, the Delorme Street Atlas (2006) and also the Earthmate GPS attachment for that product.
I have the software installed and running on my Toshiba laptop, which is secured, to a modified computer monitor mount, on my ‘dog house’ center unit.
Picture of computer navagion setup
I have the screen removed from my forward roof vent, and place the remote antenna up there for best reception. I have the voice navigation feature attached to the auxiliary input in the coaches dash stereo radio system, and the sound is very understandable.
For me this works very well for touring in my Barth, and I move the Garmin to my ‘work van’ (attached with Velcro) and have it as a standby in the case I get lost in some place I’ve never been.
Hope this helps.

------------------
89 Barth Regal 32
Runs like a Deere
New Hampshire

Posts: 369 | Location: North Troy, Vermont | Member Since: 08-30-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I have DeLorme Street Maps (and Topo USA)with the Earthmate receiver. The utility of the large map, the low price (if you already have a laptop), makes it handy - not as much as a standalone, but I like it. Two of my friends, one with the Magellan, one with a Garmin, have decide to park the standalones and go with the DeLorme after trying mine out.

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
posted Hide Post
If you happen to have a newer PDA with bluetooth, you can add a GPS unit and SW and it works great. I have a Dell Axim X50v with TomTom Navigator5 and it works just like the big ones. Voice and all - Has the entire US and Canadian maps and costs about $250. Very pleased with it . And you can take it into the woods also

------------------
Russell and Donna
1988 33' Barth Regal
Gibson Exhaust, Bilsteins, ipd sway bar

[This message has been edited by kc_rusty (edited December 07, 2005).]

Posts: 136 | Location: overland park,ks,usa | Member Since: 08-20-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of carlflack
posted Hide Post
A sincere thanks for the input. This is my signifcant other's opinion. 1-due to our age and her health we won't be going too far in "THE TOY".2-we know where we live and I should know how to get to the grocery store, docter's office,etc. 3-I'm not a high tech guy, no Lap Top or other goodies....so why would I need a GPS unit?
My opinion. 1- I want one. 2- It's my kids inheritance money and must be spent. Seriously, I like the set up with the Lap Top sitting on the dog house and suction cups for the sedan and pick-up truck. SOooo, we'll see how "Techie" I can get,maybe I can hook up a 48" plasma screen.........carl

"THE TOY" 88 33'Regal SE Coach #3448

Posts: 592 | Location: North Fort Myers, Florida, USA | Member Since: 11-20-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
Carl. I hit the same wall this year on the long distance travel thing, but when you get that 48" plasma screen installed, send me the plans. I want one too.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post