Forums    General Discussions    generators?
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

generators?
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of ryegal
posted
Hi all I'm thinking of getting a a generator for my Barth any suggestions on what size? I'm going to the rally in Oregon for a week and will be dry camping. You people are great! Thanks

Posts: 94 | Location: Seattle,wa,usa | Member Since: 12-31-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
You have a Class "C" - correct?

First question - does it have a built-in generator compartment? If so, it's probably already wired to take a genny, and whatever you get will be limited by the size of the compartment. Take measurements before you buy.

Next question - what do you propose to power with the genny? If you have a single 13500 btu air conditioner plus a lamp or two, and a TV, you can get by with 2800 watts, according to the advice in the Camping World catalog. That catalog, incidentally, has a variety of installed Onan generators, and Honda portables for sale, together with recommendations for size, based on power demands. A little more than the minimum power required, is always nice to have. The Honda portables are quieter.

FWIW, we got along nicely with a 3.6KW Generac in a 24' Class "A", but don't tell Bill H. If he finds out I had a Generac, I'll lose whatever respect he may have had for me.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
At the tracks I see many tow behinds with an Onan "box" unit mounted on an extended rear bumper. These are super quiet, you can walk right past one and not even know it's running. If noise is a factor to you take a close look at these. They say right on them "the worlds quietest genset". As Roy said, make sure you get the size you need before spending the big bucks.

------------------
Dan & Suzy Z
'81 Euro 28

Posts: 3482 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
My favorite setup is a pair of Honda EU2000s. they are quiet and easy to handle. You can take both if you want to run air conditioning, or take only one for battery charging and microwave etc. Be sure to get a good smart charger matched to your batteries and generator so your gen runtime is minimum. The built in 12 volt charging on any of them is not very fast.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ryegal
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all your suspport I don't have AC but will have my son measure the area. The onan generator was under the dinette.Oh I'm getting so excited about the rally!!! My first one. Anyone here going? To Redmond Ore.? Will report when I get back.

------------------

Posts: 94 | Location: Seattle,wa,usa | Member Since: 12-31-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ryegal
posted Hide Post
Sorry Olroy yes it is a class C and the opening for the generator in under the dinette.Thanks