Forums    General Discussions    RIP Nick Cagle, old friend...
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

RIP Nick Cagle, old friend...
 Login now/Join our community

Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted
It is with a very heavy heart I must announce the passing of a longtime friend and Barthmobile site member, Nick Cagle. Nick passed away last night at his home in Harlem, Georgia. Frowner

Nick has been a regular with Barthmobile.com since September of 2007. He was involved with the creation and upkeep of the Data Tag Project for many years.

Nick was a great friend to many of us. Several site members have visited him and Donna at the UBRVRAPE (Ugly Betty RV Resort and Pet Emporium. At that time, they had named their Barth Ugly Betty) We always had wonderful times with them. My current avatar photo on each posting was taken in Nick's driveway.. Nick and Donna are remarkable people with an interesting active life history of personal and professional achievements.

Liz and I met Cagles in 2012 at a Barth GTG. Great people, fine friends. Nick was a long time cancer survivor who was active until the last few months. Liz and I were fortunate to have seen them in early November.

I will never forget Nick's concern for others, his great sense of humor and hospitality. I learned my appreciation for good Scotch from him. cheers

Condolences can be sent to:

826 Appling Harlem Rd
Harlem, Georgia 30814

Please keep Donna and the family in your hearts and prayers.

Posts: 5181 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
RIP Nick, I also have many fond memories of Nick and his family. Nick was always very kind and helpful. He struggled many years with cancer but no one will ever know the strength he had, He was just a great friend. I also had many GREAT Whiskey moments with Nick at Barth GTGs and his home,

He managed many functions within Barthmobile that we all used over the years. His contributions will be greatly missed!

Donna was very supportive of his LOVE of LIFE!

God bless the Cagle family, Nick, WE ALL will miss you, praying for you and your wonderful family! I know you are in better hands now!

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Only met Nick a couple of times, at Barth GTG's, however one could tell he was fine person in just a few moment's.

I mourn his loss with all members of Barthmobile.

1971 24 ft Barth Continental
P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2056 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/19
Picture of Harold,Cat&Sam
posted Hide Post
Sad news . Unfortunately I never had the pleasure of meeting Mr Nick . I know he will be greatly missed and I will pray for comfort for his family and friends .

Harold
Cat
Sam Miniature Schnauzer
3.8.2009 - 9.24.2021

93 30ft Breakaway
9209-3823-30BS-11B

KE5WCW

Posts: 625 | Location: Mooringsport,LA | Member Since: 05-30-2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
Nick was among the first to attend the Hillsborough GTG and he was always a big part of the festivities, whether MCing the gift swap or holding court at the campfire. He was always a gracious host at his homes in Georgia and just a great guy to be around. We are happy to have called him friend.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3480 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/10
Picture of Marvin+Doris
posted Hide Post
Rest in peace Nick and our heartfelt condolences to Donna, Mallory and all of his family.
You'll always be remembered for your great stories and campfires.
Marvin and Doris

1999 Bluebird Custom 33' 8.3 Cummins diesel pusher

Former owner 1989 Barth Regal 25'

Posts: 1313 | Location: Big South Fork TN | Member Since: 09-29-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/22
Picture of Dana
posted Hide Post
This hit me hard and then I locked myself out of the site. Nick was a friend who had laughed at the grim reaper Superman for years First time I met him he told me he was supposed to be dead. He treated every day as a gift. He was just darned fun to be around.

I feel for Donna as we (Barthmobile folks) were a big part of their social circle. I hope she stays in touch.

I’m visualizing Nick, Rusty and Mary Rae sitting and enjoying some story telling time.

Picture is like a Where’s Waldo! This was from the Biggest GTG 2012 Goshen

Dana & Lynn
1997 38ft Monarch front entry
Spartan Mountain Master Chassis
Cummins 8.3 325hp
Allison MD-3060 6 speed
22.5 11R
Cummins Factory Exhaust Brake
8000 watt Quiet Diesel Generator
9608-M0022-38MI-4C
Christened Midnight

1972 22ft
Christened Camp Barth

Posts: 1384 | Location: Waseca, Minnesota | Member Since: 12-09-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/19
Picture of StinkyDaddy
posted Hide Post
Nick was one of the first folks to comment when we posted pics of our trailer and one of the folks we met at our first GTG in DC. Sherrie and I have traveled with Nick and Donna as well as visiting with them in GA. He was one of the wranglers for many of our GTG's and brought many of us together. Like Steve, Nick turned me on to scotch. A great man who will be missed by many. Wishing comfort for Donna and the family.
Bill and Sherrie

Bill & Sherrie
'65 Barth Travel Trailer (built in '64)
B1-174-24
'66 Barth Travel Trailer
D11-412-24
www.WilliamMitchellStudios.com

Posts: 549 | Location: Southern Virginia | Member Since: 09-21-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
This was the auction at that GTG. Nick (blue hat) and Ed were the auctioneers.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5181 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/22
Picture of Dana
posted Hide Post
2022! Nick and I were trying to figure out something! Lynn was listening intently!

Dana & Lynn
1997 38ft Monarch front entry
Spartan Mountain Master Chassis
Cummins 8.3 325hp
Allison MD-3060 6 speed
22.5 11R
Cummins Factory Exhaust Brake
8000 watt Quiet Diesel Generator
9608-M0022-38MI-4C
Christened Midnight

1972 22ft
Christened Camp Barth

Posts: 1384 | Location: Waseca, Minnesota | Member Since: 12-09-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/13
Picture of Tonka
posted Hide Post
This is sad news. We’ve lost another of our good friends.

While looking through my GTG files for a photo of Nick, I was constantly reminded of all the really great times, laughter and good natured fun our Barth friends have shared with each other over the years.

Nick was a natural leader, our MC/toastmaster, a fun loving auctioneer, storyteller extraordinaire, and a warm and genuine friend to all who knew him. He was a truly great friend of our Barth community. He touched the lives of so many of us and we are all richer for having known him.

It’s sad to say goodbye to so many good friends but we can take comfort in knowing they really are still here in all the shared memories of all the great times.

We send our heartfelt condolences to Donna and their family for their loss.

Wally and Connie,

Nick 2019

Posts: 249 | Location: Minnetonka, MN | Member Since: 01-30-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
The memorial service for Nick was held at the Harlem Masonic Lodge #276 at 2:00PM, January 28, 2024 in Harlem, Georgia. There were over 60 people in attendance, including family, friends, Lodge members and seven from the Barth community. The service was a solemn emotional tribute to a great man, in several parts, reflecting the remarkable life of this man.

Nick was a veteran with eight years of service in the US Navy, including a tour in Vietnam. A Military Flag Folding and Taps Ceremony was performed by uniformed officers in his honor.

A Masonic Ceremony by members of his Masonic lodge honored his service to that organization.

Eulogies were presented by Nick's son Tim, granddaughter Mallory and Reverend David Cooper.

Liz and I drove over 500 miles from Florida to Harlem to attend, as did old friends Tom and Nancy Johns. Bill and Sherrie Mitchell and their son Walker drove in from Virginia. We had our last Barth GTG with the Cagle family at Nick’s home, with family members and close friends. So many memories of good times….

It was a fine tribute to a fine man. We are all better for knowing him.

Rest in peace, Nick.