Forums    General Discussions    The cost factor...
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

The cost factor...
 Login now/Join our community

"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted
So I was cruising around and was looking at other RV sites with their banner ads and pop ups and fly in ads & thought back to Barthmobile.com A great "non commercial" site without all of that stuff. At that point I thought to myself "How much could this site cost Dave each month?" Can't be much right?

So I went to the Groupee web site to find out. I was a little bit shocked at some of the price plans "per month" and thought that this must be a bit of a financial burden. I didn't have a clue.

So with that in mind I thought that I would drop a line and thank Dave for all his hard work. He is much too modest to post this and lets face it, We all know I have little problems speaking my mind! This site must be a real joy for you, like it is for me.

What can we do to help out?
1) Small "Donation"
2) Buy something from "The Barthmobile Cafe" lots of neat stuff. No junk there.
3) Do some more auctions. I had fun with the last one.
4) Purchase a Barth CD. Neat stuff for all in this.
5) Consider commercial advertising

Thank You Dave for all your hard work, God Bless.

By the way. If this has offended anyone then ignore it. Dave never asked for anything. I never suggested making this a pay site. I just wanted the members to have this knowledge. Nothing more then an FYI. This site is still non-commercial and free and no one should feel pressured into making a donation.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
I've been sitting here for a while... Trying to decide if I should hit the "Post Now" button.

I've watched things play out in the great stage of what we call life. I've been amazed at how the masses of society goes about their life without knowing how the landscape of the world plays out around us. There are other things happening all around that pushes and pulls and causes things to change.

Have you heard of something called "The butterfly effect"?

Let's play the hypothetical game today...

Suppose I was to tell you that a certain someone was thinking of turning over a certain rv'ing website to me... How would you feel?

I'm a big boy so don't worry about hurting my feelings. Mad That was a retorical question, so there's no need to answer it.

Pretend that this same person had just lost his job (again) and for monetary reasons & pursuits of other things etc... had decided that he would like to pass this rv'ing website on. Would any more donations come into this hypothetical site to help out?

Dave is too subtle to come out and ask. I, on the other hand, have no such problems with typing away.

Just an FYI to all members, if your thinking of donating or purchasing something from the store now would be a good time... Wink

My name is Bill N.Y. and Dave did not approve of this message.

Bill N.Y.

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bill N.Y., you're so right, I love this site and have received so much from it. I'm contributing today. Thanks for the little push. And, I know Dave would not push. joe

Posts: 42 | Location: Canton, TX USA | Member Since: 06-20-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/09
Founder and Moderator Emeritus
Picture of Dave Bowers
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the thought Bill, however, I know this isn't member spotlight but allow me to tell you a little about myself. I had been involved in the printed circuit board industry for 35 years. For almost 24 years I owned a pretty successful manufacturers rep company selling everything involved in the manufacture of printed circuit boards. 3-4 years ago most of that industry moved offshore. I have used the term "unemployed" but trust me I have been much more active than I really have wanted to since I have got back into playing my guitar for people after a 35+ years pause.

I have been involved with a few small companies helping them set up national sales networks which is something I know a little about. Recently one of those jobs ended and I think I may have used the term "unemployed" but I shouldn't be thought of as being "unemployed" if you know what I mean.

I have never needed money to run this website. The costs are really quite low relatively speaking. Just the sales of the CD's covers stuff. That is why I have never made a big deal about donations. For years I never mentioned at all. But then I realized that even though we have around 800 members and over 400 visitors on an average day each year almost all of the donations come from the same 15-20 people. Yep, 15-20. I sell maybe 10 CD's a year and last year I made $40 from coffee mugs and I spent that to buy my wife a Taylor Hick pillow. (any of your wives gaga over Hicks or is Deb going looney?)

Now a few weeks ago, like many times in life I was thinking about just making a change. I know that I have not been making my regular pithy comments on the site recently. Rather than spending my evenings researching all things Barth I may be learning a new Vern Gosdin song trying to get that Brad Paisley lead down on "You're the World".

So I asked a certain very long term, valued and downright dear member if he was interested in taking over the site. He declined, or at least the better half advised that person that they didn't need another "thing".

So I went to William DE New York. Yes he was second but a very quick second. He is bright, "young", knowledgeable about what we do here and severely computeristic. Bill said yes....but then.

My family had an intervention, unlike that if I were an imbiber (sp?). How did I know that my 22 year old proudly shows the site to her geeky friends and says..."that's my dad's website". I have a 30 year old developmentally disabled son and I think he thinks my middle name is "Barthmobile". In other words I was talked out of it.

Today I helped a lady get some pictures on her FOR SALE post. That ain't neurosurgery but it's what I do and I think she was glad...

I love you all... seriously.....mmmmmmsmooch..

Thank you for loving this site...I do to.

Posts: 557 | Location: Eden Prairie, Minnesota | Member Since: 02-07-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
posted Hide Post
That 'Lady' wants to say Thank You. I did not think my photos looked that good. They look better on you site than they did on my computer. Of course the Barth looks better in person than in a picture.

This sight helped us find windshield washer parts when the motor housing cracked and the air leak caused a loss of control for the transmission, which it seems is also air driven. The shop was stumped, but Barthmobile.com saved the day with all kinds of helpful info from a super group of peole.

We are sure glad you are here Dave. It may not be neurosurgery for you, but it is easier for me to build a computer than make it do what I want some times.

We are glad You are behind the wheel. Keep on driving.

Safe travel to you all.

Beth in NH

Posts: 8 | Location: new Hampshire | Member Since: 07-21-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/16
Picture of coaster48
posted Hide Post
Sorry Dave to here about your situation, but I think if you could continue to give your imput would be greatly appreciated-- I think, lately there has been great input from regular members to support you and YOU are the "Guru" of this website!! This is your love and any tidbit of your deep knowledge of Barths and your sporadic input is all but so important to this site!!! Please keep it going!

A valued member and soon to be a Barth owner.

Thanx, Neil
quote:

1995 Regal 31 Ft.
Ford F 53 Chassis
460 EFI

Posts: 93 | Location: Sechelt,B.C. Canada | Member Since: 03-17-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post