Forums    General Discussions    The return of Stinky Daddy Jr.
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

The return of Stinky Daddy Jr.
 Login now/Join our community

posted
Hello Friends,
It’s been awhile, This is Walker; Bill (StinkyDaddy’s) Son. I have been out of the Barth world for awhile. I’d love to catch up with many of you. Also, I rebuild Carburetors for a living and thought I may be able to help some of you. Bring the welcome wagon and the shitpot of limes.

Posts: 4 | Location: Rocky Mount VA | Member Since: 12-29-2023Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Helloo Walker! Good to hear from you! It has been a while and we miss the margaritas from the past. Always enjoyed times with you and the whole family. What a hoot!

I am pretty sure there are numerous carbs out there that could use your attention. Getting hard to find someone to do that lately. It's been a while for me. I'm a diesel guy lately.

I hope we will see you again at a future GTG. Take care and be well! Thumbs Up

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5182 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BarthBluesmobile
posted Hide Post
quote:
I rebuild Carburetors

It is great to meet you! I have been reading about the reformulated gasolines, reformulated since the time that many of the carburetors on our rigs were built. In 1987, gasoline was "gasoline", now it is sometimes 10% ethanol.

I was reading that ethanol is a source for additional oxygen in the combustion chamber, and that this could cause a slight lean condition. I read that on EFI systems, this is detected with the O2 sensor, and fuel delivery is adjusted by the magic of the computer.

I haven't heard of people reworking carburetors for this. Should the rods on the quadrajet be changed to add a tad more fuel?

Happy Motoring,
Matt

1987 Barth 27' P32 Chassis
Former State Police Command Post
Chevrolet 454
Weiand Manifold, Crane Cam, Gibson Exhaust

Posts: 525 | Location: Massachusetts | Member Since: 07-28-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Matt that is an interesting situation you bring up!

A few years back Steve gave me an O2 meter and I got an 02 sensor and installed it on Ole Nose. Yes; the meter showed that the 454 was running lean.

Unfortunately, the meter did not have a wide range, more for a fuel injected engine. I still wonder how lean it was running and maybe when my ship comes in, I will get the wide range meter and the correct 02 sensor for 71, that set up is about $200.

I did change the jets in the Rochester, seems the rods are really hard to come by, Maybe Walker can help with that, I was going to contact him when I rebuilt the Rochester, but I got help from a local hot rod shop.

Thought it would be cool to make a portable device that would connect to the tail pipe and get a read out, but I saw an episode of "Roadkill" on TV, where they were already doing something similar to that.

1971 24 ft Barth Continental
P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2056 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/22
Picture of Dana
posted Hide Post
Welcome Walker! Been a long time.

Still playing? I’m sure you are. We’d enjoy seeing you and Kenny shouldn’t have to be our only entertainer!

Glad to see you have maintained your interest in carbs. I don’t have any except on my small engines. Your expertise will be much appreciated by many. As you know Barthmobile is a resource for many.

Say hi to the folks!

Dana & Lynn
1997 38ft Monarch front entry
Spartan Mountain Master Chassis
Cummins 8.3 325hp
Allison MD-3060 6 speed
22.5 11R
Cummins Factory Exhaust Brake
8000 watt Quiet Diesel Generator
9608-M0022-38MI-4C
Christened Midnight

1972 22ft
72081169MC22C
Christened Camp Barth

Posts: 1384 | Location: Waseca, Minnesota | Member Since: 12-09-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve VW:
Helloo Walker! Good to hear from you! It has been a while and we miss the margaritas from the past. Always enjoyed times with you and the whole family. What a hoot!

I am pretty sure there are numerous carbs out there that could use your attention. Getting hard to find someone to do that lately. It's been a while for me. I'm a diesel guy lately.

I hope we will see you again at a future GTG. Take care and be well! Thumbs Up

Wonderful to be back, I’ll have to find my way to a GTG soon Smiler

Posts: 4 | Location: Rocky Mount VA | Member Since: 12-29-2023Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BarthBluesmobile:
quote:
I rebuild Carburetors

It is great to meet you! I have been reading about the reformulated gasolines, reformulated since the time that many of the carburetors on our rigs were built. In 1987, gasoline was "gasoline", now it is sometimes 10% ethanol.

I was reading that ethanol is a source for additional oxygen in the combustion chamber, and that this could cause a slight lean condition. I read that on EFI systems, this is detected with the O2 sensor, and fuel delivery is adjusted by the magic of the computer.

I haven't heard of people reworking carburetors for this. Should the rods on the quadrajet be changed to add a tad more fuel?

Happy Motoring,
Matt

As a generalization it is unwise to take a stab that way. If I remember the math correctly there is a stoichiometric difference of about 3.5 percent between E10 87 and G100 87. Meaning there is 3.5 percent less energy produced, as well as 3.5 more fuel needs to be burned to maintain a given air fuel ratio. Usually almost all factory carbs were on the rich side (Except Carter 1 barrels and Chrysler lean burn 2 barrels) Usually not adding that 3.5 percent isn’t dangerous, if you are that close to the edge to start with it’s not going to tolerate altitude changes, air density changes, Temp changes, etc. Now a quadrajet has a lot of ways of adjusting afr. If you record your afr when tuning using an O2 sensor and a wideband gauge you can at least see the trends.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane88:
Matt that is an interesting situation you bring up!

A few years back Steve gave me an O2 meter and I got an 02 sensor and installed it on Ole Nose. Yes; the meter showed that the 454 was running lean.

Unfortunately, the meter did not have a wide range, more for a fuel injected engine. I still wonder how lean it was running and maybe when my ship comes in, I will get the wide range meter and the correct 02 sensor for 71, that set up is about $200.

I did change the jets in the Rochester, seems the rods are really hard to come by, Maybe Walker can help with that, I was going to contact him when I rebuilt the Rochester, but I got help from a local hot rod shop.

Thought it would be cool to make a portable device that would connect to the tail pipe and get a read out, but I saw an episode of "Roadkill" on TV, where they were already doing something similar to that.

Where did you mount the sensor? If it’s more than 18 inches away from the end of the header or manifold it’s not very helpful. I buy the AEM brand of sensor with a wide band gauge. Did you change the power piston rods or the secondary rods? You want on the leaner side when in the primary’s and richer up fast when the secondary’s open. I can usually get rods. I tried a portable unit, but it’s often easier to just install a permanent gauge.

I’m a fellow Roadkill Fan.