Reply To This Topic

Veterans Day & Remembrance Day
 Login now/Join our community

FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
quote:
However, if you are OK with MSG, a lot of their food is pretty tasty.

Catch 22, if they took out the MSG it would taste like cardboard.

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
I enjoyed food there that did not seem to have MSG. Things like prime rib cut off as I watched, etc. I actually added a bit of salt, myself.

A number of Asian restaurants say on their menus that they do not use MSG. They have pretty good food, too. Just had the best Tom Kha Gai soup ever, last week at an MSG-free place.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/21
posted Hide Post
.......drove over to Golden Corral last evening, I can't imagine that that many GI's and ex GI's would be willing to stand in a chow line as long as that was there. I swore off chow lines when I was separated. BTW Eagles thumped Donavan and the Red Skins!

#1 29' 1977parted out and still alive in Barths all over the USA

Posts: 1028 | Location: Floral City FL | Member Since: 04-25-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dick Dubbs:
I swore off chow lines when I was separated.

HA!

I swore off lines period.

Guess how far that got me. Frowner

When I started doing volunteer work at the VA hospital, there it was, a regular chow line. I think they had plates instead of the crummy, furry Micarta trays, but it was still a chow line, complete with SOS, etc. It was even worse than the Army, in the sense that they couldn't deal with serving chili over rice. Something about how to charge me, I think.

Wish we had a coupla of those micarta trays now, for outdoor pot luck chow lines. Smiler

At least, now, when I go through a chow line, I get as many pats of butter as I want. Smiler

If you are near a Souplantation, it is worth standing in line. Especially if they are serving Tuna Tarregon.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
Micarta trays? That must have been modern times. All we ever had was scratched & dented stainless steel unless we were in the field when it was mess kits or C-ration cans.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by olroy:
scratched & dented stainless steel unless we were in the field when it was mess kits or C-ration cans.

We had those, too. They were bigger, but shallower. I went through a chow line in the dark holding mine upside down. Didn't know it was upside down until I had walked a fair distance and sat down to eat. Dinner was spaghetti, and it all slid off the tray, onto my boots and the ground. Went back, and mess truck was gone.

Wah. That might be the only Army meal I really remember.