Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

1972/73 Barth 29' with tag axle
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of Don Brauner
posted
Hello to the fine folks I met at the get together at the Hillsborough River State Park this past Thanksgiving. I finally got my Barth home and am excited about getting started on my restoration. It needs new appliances, flooring, minor plumbing and electricals repairs, etc. I can handle that. Having no knowledge of the workings of motorhomes I'm in need of help, info. I have basic knowledge of engines, transmissions, brakes, etc. Things such as the appearance and location of the solenoid that cuts off the fuel to the generator when the tank gets low, there must be a fuel pump to get the fuel to the generator, again the appearance and location of this pump, the workings of the gas furnace, there seems to be air bags inside the coil springs on the tag axle, any info on these would be helpful. Anything that is specific to motorhomes is what I'm looking for. Locations where any books, manuels, photo's, etc. can be purchased would be appreciated.
This particular coach has a four piece windshield. The two flat rectangular pieces in the front with a small curved, possibly plastic, lexan, etc, on either side. These side pieces are discolored and full of small cracks. Can replacements be found.
I've been told that this vehicle has a 454 chevy motor in it. The Barth VIN # is 72081168MC29L. The incomplete veh. mfg. VIN # from GMC is CPE372J168868. Hopefully these numbers can help with info for this vehicle, such as engine size, transmission type, original color, model, etc.
I'm sure my list will grow as I get into this project. Again any info, pictures, manuals, schematics, wiring diagrams etc or where to get them would be appreciated.
I'm not on the computer alot so if you send me an e-mail and I don't respond right away that is why. I will include my address and phone number for you old fashion folks like me that prefer talking over the phone or sending letters.
Thanks to all and look forward to seeing everyone again next Thanksgiving.

Don Brauner
302 Grant St.
Plant City, Fl.

813-716-0743
(donbrauner50@AOL.com)

Posts: 1 | Location: Plant City, Fl. | Member Since: 05-08-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Don Brauner:
Hello to the fine folks I met at the get together at the Hillsborough River State Park this past Thanksgiving. I finally got my Barth home and am excited about getting started on my restoration. It needs new appliances, flooring, minor plumbing and electricals repairs, etc. I can handle that. Having no knowledge of the workings of motorhomes I'm in need of help, info. I have basic knowledge of engines, transmissions, brakes, etc. Things such as the appearance and location of the solenoid that cuts off the fuel to the generator when the tank gets low,

Typically, the genset has its own dip tube, which does not stick down all the way to the bottom. More or less, the genset will stop sucking at about a quarter tank. That will allow you to drive to a gas station.

quote:
there must be a fuel pump to get the fuel to the generator, again the appearance and location of this pump,

It could be any brand of standard electric fuel pump. Look at the pictures on e Bay or Google images and you will probably see yours. They are usually located in the genset bay, and can be located by following the fuel line from the tank or from the genset carb, whichever is easier. You can also locate it by sound, with a jumper wire from the hot battery terminal on the start solenoid to the + side of the coil. It will make a hammering sound.

quote:
there seems to be air bags inside the coil springs on the tag axle,

The usual Barth tag axle is a Neway, and has only air bags on trailing arms. Earlier ones might be different. Got a photo?

quote:
This particular coach has a four piece windshield. The two flat rectangular pieces in the front with a small curved, possibly plastic, lexan, etc, on either side. These side pieces are discolored and full of small cracks. Can replacements be found.

Your year probably has the old style windshield, which seems to be non-replaceable. It is possible that someone did a home made replacement. Please post a photo of it here. I have mentioned here that I would do something like that for an old one. You could probably replace the plastic yourself.

quote:
I've been told that this vehicle has a 454 chevy motor in it.[QUOTE]

Since it is a GM, it most likely had a Big Block. Some Barths had 350s, but they were usually shorter and lighter. Got a picture? The Big Block had much larger valve pans than the 350s.

[quote] The Barth VIN # is 72081168MC29L. The incomplete veh. mfg. VIN # from GMC is CPE372J168868. Hopefully these numbers can help with info for this vehicle, such as engine size, transmission type,

If you have a Bib Block, you will have a TH400. The TH350 pan is a rectangle with a corner cut off. The TH400 pan has only two straight sides. Curves and angles on the other two sides. Where is the vacuum modulator valve located?

quote:
original color,

There could be a color tag up under the windshield, above the radiator.

quote:
model, etc.

Look around the driver seat for a tag. It could be on the wall behind or above the driver, or inside the overhead bin or above the windshield shelf. Be sure to send us a clear photo for our archives.

quote:
I'm sure my list will grow as I get into this project. Again any info, pictures, manuals, schematics, wiring diagrams etc or where to get them would be appreciated.

The best mechanical and wiring info is the Chevy or GMC light truck manual for your year. You are pretty much on your own as far as coach wiring. An owner here with a similar year and model might be able to help you out.

quote:
I'm not on the computer a lot

Umm...........perhaps you should consider being on the computer a little more. This site is really good about sharing information online.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of carlflack
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the forum. Another Barth coming to the GTG at Hillsbourgh.................

Former owner of "THE TOY"
1988 Barth Regal SE 33' Tag
1992 Barth Breakaway 32'
2005 Coachmen Mirada 32' DS

Posts: 592 | Location: North Fort Myers, Florida, USA | Member Since: 11-20-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've been told that this vehicle has a 454 chevy motor in it.
It might be a 454 - but based on the vin decoder I have, it appears to be a Big Block 402.
quote:
...there seems to be air bags inside the coil springs on the tag axle, any info on these would be helpful.
Your coach would be the earliest documented tag axle Barth. Can you send us a few photos of the coach and one of the tag that shows this stuff on it The Barth VIN # is 72081168MC29L. The incomplete veh. mfg. VIN # from GMC is CPE372J168868.
quote:
The Barth VIN # is 72081168MC29L.
1972 Barth built in August. The 1168 Barth built in sequence. MC: Motor Coach 29L: Floorplan and length.

The shorter style windshield was replace with a taller one in mid to late 1973. As Bill H stated, this shorter style window is not available as far as we know. You might find it, but I don't even know what these were originally in so I don't know where to tell you to look. Don't despair right away. You might be the one to track this info down or someone may come on the site looking to part one out. Look for the numbers that are on the windows, usually in the lower corners. This page might help you get started on your quest. Anything you share with us will help the next person who is looking too.
quote:
Hopefully these numbers can help with info for this vehicle, such as engine size, transmission type, original color, model, etc.
Hopefully these will help. Sometimes, when viewing these photos, I feel like I'm in a time warp. Put on your shades.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
Welcome Don. Were you 2 wheeling last year at Hillsborough? Hope you make it this year so we can see your coach. Check out the details under Barth GTGs.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3480 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post