Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

staying warm
 Login now/Join our community

posted
Not yet being an owner of a motorhome I have no real experience with staying warm in the winter as one drives an rv down the road. For example: A 30' Barth with a 454 in it has enough of heater to do the job? Do you run a furnace or heat strips with the generator running as you move down the road when outside temps are in the teens?

Dan

Posts: 1 | Location: Winchester, VA | Member Since: 01-06-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dan, I'm guessing that the answers will vary widely. My dash heater will keep the area up front nice and cozy but it gets chilly in the rear section. Against all safety advise, I have used the furnace while travelling. I have also fired up the gen set and run the roof top heat strips.

Posts: 283 | Location: Huntsville, AL USA | Member Since: 11-13-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/11
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
Picture of Jack
posted Hide Post
Haven�t really done much driving in the 'teens' but mine warms nicely with the motor aided heater in the rear bedroom. This is a heater core attached to the engine cooling system and it has its own blower controlled from a switch on the dash. I think most Barths seem to have this as an option. (Must be shut off in summer though).

------------------

89 Barth Regal 32
Runs like a Deere
New Hampshire

Posts: 369 | Location: North Troy, Vermont | Member Since: 08-30-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you have the motor-aided heater in the rear you should stay nice and warm when driving in cold weather --- but watch out for freezing in the grey and black water tanks.

Posts: 138 | Location: Hayden Lake (Coeur d'Alene), ID USA | Member Since: 11-14-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
ditto the others. I have driven in well below 30 deg. and the two motor-aided heat exchangers which your 30 foot is sure to have will keep your coach like a womb. Dump a jug of antifreeze in the black and gray and you will have not problems. In fact even if you don't if the tanks are less than half full chances are you won't have a problem.

------------------
Opportunity always knocks at the least opportune moment.

1985 28 foot Regal
Dave and Deb Bowers

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
DOH! I got shortchanged! No extra heater in the rear of mine. A water heater maybe, but that's all I see. :-)

Posts: 283 | Location: Huntsville, AL USA | Member Since: 11-13-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
ron, maybe Barth knew you were going to be the owner and, PULLED one over on you? That's my bet.....What took you so LOOOOOONG? Second thought, MAYBE one of us had better not attend the RALLY. You aren't one of those " I DON'T GET MAD, JUST GET EVEN " types are you? Dale

Posts: 629 | Location: INDY,IN USA | Member Since: 06-30-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
Ron,

What do you have under your driver side twin bed??

------------------

1985 28 foot Regal
Dave and Deb Bowers

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Carl Flack>
posted
If you have a tall clothes closet, check for a removable "false" floor

THE TOY 88 33'Regal Coach #3448

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
I'm still finding neat stuff in our new (for us) 33' Regal. Today I discovered a motor aided heater under the driver's side twin in back. I'll have to look for more, I have the motor aided HWH as well, but Lord help me if i have to start replacing all those hoses.

One bummer - I have Marinco power and TV/phone inlets. The power is great - just like our old boat, but they want $49.00 for a pigtail to adapt the Marinco phone inlet for a standard modular connection. I'm thinking I can replace the Marinco with a standard weather-resistant jack from the hardware store for a few bucks and a little effort, keeping the fancy chromed cap and base.

Any better ideas?

Also, my built-in Par water pressure regulator just lets in a dribble. That also, is probably going to go in favor of a standard RV water inlet.

Parhaps not as neat and fancy as the original installations, but more practical and easy to maintain. (Try finding Marinco or Par products within a few hundred miles of Yuma, AZ)

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The under-bed area has the shore-off-gen switch and ckt breakers and the 12V fuses. Didn't lift the lid to look closer. Cannot see anything that looks like a blower or fan switch from the door opening.

OTOH: I found what freezes first in the shore water feed. Maybe it was a tie between the brass regulator and the in-line filter. Only 30-degrees too!

Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
Ronald, gotta lift the lid. The heat exchanger is right behind the shore power switch box.. It's there garanteeeee it.

But I didn't ask if you have a heater switch on the dash????

------------------

1985 28 foot Regal
Dave and Deb Bowers

[This message has been edited by davebowers (edited February 01, 2004).]

posted Hide Post
Nothing on the dash which would clearly indicate such a control. Have a couple of unmarked accessory switches, but no heater switch.

I will delve into the under-world area though just to see what else is there. Could be where that safe filled with gold bullion is hidden. :-)