Forums    General Discussions    Sold our Regal, bought a Breakaway.
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Sold our Regal, bought a Breakaway.
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/11
posted
Sold our Regal and bought Dan Snyder's Breakaway. Loraine and I have been thinking of getting a bigger coach with a little more living space. Loraine was talking about looking at Jim and Tere's coach this past spring but I wasn't wanting to make a change at that time. Well Jim and Tere sold their Breakaway and then Loraine says how about Dan Snyder's so after thinking about that for awhile I figured let's go for it.

So went down to Columbus Ohio to look at it on a Saturday agreed to purchase, the new owners picked up the Regal on Sunday, and then went back on Tuesday to drive the Breakaway home. I couldn't have dealt with a more pleasurable person than Dan, really enjoyed our visit with him.

The drive home was slow but steady, doesn't have the acceleration and speed the Regal has the overall ride was about the same. I really couldn't get a feel for acceleration, the pedal is extremely hard to depress I'm thinking I need a new cable. So I averaged around 55-58 mph. Loraine was following me with her CRV and her mpg went from a normal 29-30 highway to 40 mpg on the trip home. So the theory about speed and mpg definitely held true on this trip.

The cabinetry on the Breakaway doesn't match the quality of the Regal we were spoiled with the cherry cabinets in the Regal.

Overall the Breakaway is in great shape, needs some updating couch, TV's, radios, new tires I'm thinking 4 for now. The engine needs a new starter and the accelerator cable. New house batteries are needed it has a new Inverter/Converter which is really nice however the batteries are toast. It also has two solar panels mounted on the roof, they are disconnected from the batteries and fuse has been removed from the control panel. Need a new control board for the steps, they work all the time can't shut them off.

We are really liking our new Breakaway, Oh and one key factor in the decision to purchase the Breakaway, it had to fit in the addition to the barn I built for the Regal. She's longer but still fits quite nicely.

Posts: 259 | Location: SouthWest MI | Member Since: 08-12-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Nice coach, low miles! Thumbs Up

I suppose you're a Cummins guy now, no need to grovel with the gasser boys, ehh?

Good luck with that nice coach. Hope to see you again soon.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5180 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of carlflack
posted Hide Post
Tom & Loraine: When I switched from the gas 454 to the BreakAway's diesel, it was different. Then I remembered Rusty's adage "Diesel doesn't accelerate, it gains momentum.....You will get used to it and love it....Wish you happty times...

Former owner of "THE TOY"
1988 Barth Regal SE 33' Tag
1992 Barth Breakaway 32'
2005 Coachmen Mirada 32' DS

Posts: 592 | Location: North Fort Myers, Florida, USA | Member Since: 11-20-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Actually, that's either Shadowman's or bill h's quote Wink.

But the 10-12 mpg fuel economy will make up for the "gathering of momentum". Part of the acceleration "sluggishness" is an illusion - with a diesel pusher, there's little engine noise, and the 600+ lb.-ft. of torque from the C5.9 makes for a good nudge.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Fred & Cindy
posted Hide Post
Tom
Haven't seen Dan's Breakaway, but sounds like a great ride. Never had a gasser, but Cindy and I really love the smooth, quiet ride. You guys were great neighbors at Goshen. Look forward to seeing you and Loraine at another GTG in the near future.

1990 32' Regency, Wide Body
Spartan Chassis, 8.3 CTA Cummins
4 Speed Allison Trans
South Central Missouri

Posts: 356 | Location: Missouri | Member Since: 06-24-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/17
Picture of Doorman
posted Hide Post
Tom,
I was able to check this coach out a few years ago. The PO met me down at a small restaurant in Waynsville OH. We took a small drive and he stayed around to let me check it out. Knowing that I was more of a looker than a buyer. What I saw was a well taken care of Coach. The under carriage looked almost new.

I do agree with you on the interior, I like my 86 Regal cabinetry and wall covering better. I think I prefer my side door entry over a front door, but that 11 mpg would be nice. I think you got a nice coach.

1986 31' Regal -1976 Class C
454/T400 P30 -350/T400 G30
twin cntr beds - 21' rear bath

Posts: 1026 | Location: Dayton, Ohio | Member Since: 09-27-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/11
posted Hide Post
Thanks,

You're right about the undercarriage, I was pleasantly surprised how clean it is, the Spartan Chassis looks great.

quote:
"Diesel doesn't accelerate, it gains momentum.

Now that is the perfect analogy. I don't think I'll be drag racing any of the gassers.

Posts: 259 | Location: SouthWest MI | Member Since: 08-12-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
posted Hide Post
I don't think that i said that, sounds more like Bill......but then again i don't remember what i said yesterday so i guess i might have been me. Big Grin

Posts: 878 | Location: Left side, top to bottom and back again. :>) | Member Since: 09-08-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/11
Picture of lenny and judy
posted Hide Post
you do know that you can paint the interior of the coach like my mother did in our home does not hurt the of the wall paper
lenny

lenny and judy
32', Regency, Cummins 8.3L, Spartan Chassis, 1992
Tag# 9112 0158 32RS 1B

Posts: 790 | Location: Naples Florida,g.g. | Member Since: 02-06-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 10/17
Picture of Lou
posted Hide Post
Tom & Lorraine,

Good luck with the Breakaway!

If you ever get near Allegan on one of your "exercise" jaunts, stop in and see us.

Lou & Barb

Posts: 467 | Location: Allegan, MI. | Member Since: 08-14-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post