Reply To This Topic

Urgent, I need help... Another Scam
 Login now/Join our community

"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted
quote:
How's your day going? I hope everything is alright. Please I need you to help me out with something. Can I get a loan from you urgently? I`ll reimburse you under a week, I promise. I need to solve some personal problems at hand which have been giving me worries. I`d also prefer if we discuss this through email as I`m presently in England for a friend's funeral. I`m sorry if I didn`t inform you about it, but please try and understand. I`ll let you know how much I need if you are willing to assist me.
I just received this in an email. The member who sent this to me had his email address book hijacked. When I hit "Reply To This Email" the return address was very close to the person who supposedly sent this to me.
___________ 1 @yahoo.com

When you send out an email, and you copy everyone in your address book, all of those good email addresses are now sent to everyone else who may copy them and send them on again. Eventually a scammer will get the OP's return address and all of his contacts. Now, the scammer, can pretend that they are you.

If you send an email out, just send it to one person instead of all the people in your address book. If it's something you want to send to everyone you know, then send it individually. That way, the one person who forwards your email to another, and then another, will not have your entire address book too.

Also see UPS HOAX from earlier this year.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 10/17
Picture of Lou
posted Hide Post
Bill,

When I send a 'global' email I send it to "Undisclosed Recipient", which is a name I've created in my contact list. It uses my own email address as its destination. I then do a blind copy (bcc) to all those I wish to send the email to. As far as I know, this prevents others down the pike from seeing everyone else's email address.

Posts: 467 | Location: Allegan, MI. | Member Since: 08-14-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
Scammers never sleep and this is their full time career. Some have a PhD in it, but they all have to figure out how to get the money out of you and this is where you must always be diligent.

For a while I made a sport out of collecting Nigerian Scam checks. I would pretend I was going along long enough for them to overnight me a check, then I would make some silly excuse to see if I could make them send me another. Scamming the scammers for sport!

This grew boring and I gave it up for skeet shooting.

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
When I send an e mail to more than one person, it is addressed to Bolivar Shagnasti@AOL.com, with all of the intended recipients as BCCs.

I had my Email hijacked once by a Chinese electronics company. They send ordinary spam to everybody on my list telling what a good line of products they had, etc. It was right after an eBay purchase from China, so I guess that is the connection.

I did not send them an eMail, but I am guessing that somehow they got it from eBay. I immediately changed my eBay password. Fortunately, the spam was innocuous, but a good friend sent me a virus. Or should I say his computer did. I never open an attachment from ANYBODY unless I am expecting it.
Waiting a day or two allows the antivirus companies to catch up. In this case, that policy paid off, as Norton said it was OK when I opened the e mail, but I waited, anyway. A coupla days later, Norton recognized it as a virus. I notified my friend, and he said he had sent me nothing. Checking into it, he found his computer infested, and had a terrible time getting it cleaned up. He had Norton, but they were little help, wanting a bunch of extra money to clear up the virus that got past their program.

So, the short version is: Norton can only block viruses they know about, and will charge you hundreds extra if you get infected by a virus that gets past their program.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
quote:
He had Norton, but they were little help, wanting a bunch of extra money to clear up the virus that got past their program.

Norton and McAfee are useless companies that attempt to infect your new computer with their useless software by paying Mr Gates, Jobs and Dell a "bribe". Fortunately, our Gov't got something right and barred the creeps from installing it. Unfortunately, most people do install the free trials and then they are infected with Norton/McAfee crap until a format of their hard drive. Do yourself a favor and delete it immediately when you buy a new computer. Then go download Avast which is truly free, forever, and not designed to corrupt your computer so you can't download competitive products.

Another good one is to try to go to Firefox from Microsoft explorer. It will try to tell you it can't get you there or this message "The website declined to show this webpage
HTTP 403
Most likely causes:
•This website requires you to log in. "

Sorry for the rant, but this just grinds my gears!!! It would be like the car companies buying up bridges and only allowing their brand to go over it....after paying a toll of course Violence

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/10
Picture of Tim&Gayle
posted Hide Post
download malwarebytes and run it you have a small virus also change your mail password now

alex my grandson
we snuck away over the
holidays for a little fun

Posts: 89 | Location: orlando florida | Member Since: 04-23-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bill h:
I had my Email hijacked once by a Chinese electronics company. They send ordinary spam to everybody on my list telling what a good line of products they had, etc. It was right after an eBay purchase from China, so I guess that is the connection.
Oh yeah, I remember that one... I got one of those too.

Here is the post you put up when you had that issue.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Spartan Chassis
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/21
posted Hide Post
HELP! I'm being held hostage by "ThinkPoint", well I was. .....terrible trojan, pops up like a warning from microsoft, scares the bejeebers out of non'geeks like me; once it grabs you it won't let go until you buy the cure. DON'T PAY THE RANSOM! (I didn't) there are a lot of cures available. Thankfully I had help.

#1 29' 1977parted out and still alive in Barths all over the USA

Posts: 1028 | Location: Floral City FL | Member Since: 04-25-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/10
Picture of Bones
posted Hide Post
I've been using Microsoft Security Essentials on 2 Vista and 2 XP computers with a perfect track record. Its free and not a resource hog.

Also I have user accounts setup. The admin account is password protected. I login with a standard account so when a program tries to install, you need the admin password. My wife had a Facebook game try to install something with no warning. The admin window popped up and she just hit cancel.

Regal 25 built in 1989
1985 P-30 chassis
454 TH400

Posts: 212 | Location: Somewhere in the SW | Member Since: 03-06-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/09
Picture of robert and kimberly delucia
posted Hide Post
windows defender is free! also bitdefender hass a free on line virus checker ! and thier program you buy is an excellent choice! wise regisery cleaner is also good when your done! i only use bitdefender for virus it working excellent for years!!!!!!!!!!!!! also always search comments on any recomendations to make sure who you take your advice from !!

Posts: 204 | Location: unionville tennessee | Member Since: 10-02-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
We've just recently had a lesson on what makes up a potential scam. Here is another one...
quote:
Hello,I'm so sorry to border you with this,please I want you to understand that
I've got to take advantage of the current fall in home prices back at home and I
know this is what you can do for a brother out here on a military campaign
mission. Please can you assist me do the search in your town for a home on sale
with good price for me to buy as soon as possible before my redeployment back
home from Iraq, because I've got the cash here with me.

Please do let me know what I'll offer you in return as compensation for your
assistance. Honestly,I've taken this decision to reach out to you because I've
sent money twice from here to my only brother for this same purpose and the
money was lavished on luxury life style,it was unbelievable for me to find out
that he never bought the home not even a plot of land,still he has not being
able to account for all the money I've sent across and till date he has
disappeared into thin air with his where about still unknown. Please do find a
place in your heart to assist me because I know With your assistance I'll be
able to put that behind me and move on with my life.

Please don't let this come as a surprise to you, for me to have asked a total
stranger for this kind of assistance,first,I've got to let you know why I have
decided it's better for me to reach out to someone with the fear of God to
assist me realize my dream of becoming a home owner before my redeployment out
of Iraq. God bless and please do keep praying daily for me and all our troops
safe return back home.

In God We Trust,
Sgt.Jason Campbell
Reply to:jasoncampbell0@hotmail.com
On Active Duty For:1st Battalion, 9th Field Artillery, 2nd Heavy Brigade Combat
Team, 3rd Infantry Division, Baghdad,Iraq.
Some scams are funny - Others are just despicable.

8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Spartan Chassis
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/21
posted Hide Post
quote:
my dream of becoming a home owner before my redeployment

where? home in Iran?

#1 29' 1977parted out and still alive in Barths all over the USA

Posts: 1028 | Location: Floral City FL | Member Since: 04-25-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post