Tools
Reply To This Topic

Toads
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted
Tere and I want to buy a toad for our 85 28' Regal. It has a 3500# hitch but we would like to find something lighter, maybe around 2000#, that is already set up for towing. We also want to flat tow the vehicle. I've looked at various web sites and can't seem to find anything particular to toads. If any Barthers have a toad for sale please let me know or if you know where I can look, it would be appreciated.
Jim

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/09
posted Hide Post
Not sure what you mean by "anything particular to toads", but check out one of the non-Barth RV forums (if you dare). Smiler My absolute favorite is www.rvforum.net - you can read the forum as a guest visitor, but if you want to post messages you'll have to sign up there with a login account just like here. There is an entire section of the forum dedicated solely to "Towing and Towables".

Posts: 374 | Location: Illinois | Member Since: 10-09-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
Step 1 might be for you to research the curb weights of a variety of makes & models. There are few anywhere near 2000 lbs, though there are many under 3000.

Few are towable 4-down with automatic transmissions. Most Hondas & Saturns are, and the smaller models of both makes are under 3000#. 4X4 Suzukis are towable wheels down, & the older Samurais & convertible Sidekicks are under 3000#.

There's really no substitute for doing your own research to discover what would suit you best, & it would be a miracle to find a suitable vehicle already set up to tow.

Another area for you to research is tow bars, base plates, & brake systems. There are several makes of tow systems & brakes systems, & they all add weight & cost.

I had good success towing a '96 Suzuki Sport Sidekick, as have some others on this website, but it was around 3100#.

Good luck in your search.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
What I meant Scotty, was that I tried looking for "Toads for sale" and couldn't find anything like that on ebay or rvtrader on line. Thought I might find someone who is getting out of the rv lifestyle and wants to get rid of their toad.

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/09
posted Hide Post
Gotcha! Wink Yeah I don't know if anyplace will specifically advertise a car just as a "toad". If you can learn all you can about the makes/models that will fit your needs, then you can search autotrader.com, eBay Motors, or your local ads for those cars. I'm sure you'll find the perfect 4 wheeler.

Posts: 374 | Location: Illinois | Member Since: 10-09-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Might have found what I need right under my nose. I have a 1973 Volvo, 142E, that is in pristine shape. It's been in storage for a while. Discovered it's only 2450# and Roadmaster makes mounting brackets for it. Will contact them tomorrow and go from there. Have a 1982 240 that I use as a daily driver. Will probably finish the restoration of the '73 now, make it my tow vehicle, and put the 240 in storage. Will let you know how it works out.

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B

First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by humbojb:
I have a 1973 Volvo, 142E,

Oh, Oh. I'm starting to get Toad Envy, here.

Those were/are really neat cars. Properly set up, they can humiliate a lot of Porsches.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sloop John B
posted Hide Post
I wonder if my 1972 BMW 2002 would work,2,200+ LB, only 103,000 miles, mothballed for 5+ years,but with automatic transmission? I would want to pull with 4 down.

JKB

88 28' Regal 454
Blue/Silver metalflake

Posts: 706 | Location: 103 miles west of Milford & 1.75 Miles from Lincoln oasis on I-80 | Member Since: 01-05-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
I got a '91 Izusu Amigo for toad purposes but haven't yet gotten the tow bar or brake system. It is light and should be good behind our Breakaway. Just haven't had the drive to get all the associated stuff to make it happen.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/12
Picture of Nick Cagle
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SLOOP JOHN B:
I wonder if my 1972 BMW 2002 would work,2,200+ LB, only 103,000 miles, mothballed for 5+ years,but with automatic transmission? I would want to pull with 4 down.

SLOOP JOHN B, Could you have a drive shaft disconnect intalled?

Posts: 1732 | Location: Harlem, GA | Member Since: 09-17-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gunner
posted Hide Post
"SLOOP JOHN B, Could you have a drive shaft disconnect installed?"

I am a big fan of REMCO driveshaft disconnects (at least the RWD propeller shafts). Simple, easy to install oneself, and troublefree. If they don't already have a design for yours, ship your existing shaft to them and they'll make a new one or convert yours -at a reasonable price. The only variable is whether the BMW has enough clearance around the tailshaft for the disconnect mechanism, which "hangs" beneath the shaft. Call 'em.

"You are what you drive" - Clint Eastwood

Posts: 474 | Location: Republic of Texas | Member Since: 12-31-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/09
Picture of Turbodoc
posted Hide Post
I used the following website to get everything I needed for my Jeep.

http://www.blueox.us/

Larry A. Barry DDS
2006 Tiffin Zephyr
NV5I

Posts: 59 | Location: Amarillo, Texas | Member Since: 02-20-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
Well, I now must eat my words! Just got a used Blue Ox tow bar and Brake Buddy, was all fixed up for a Saturn but I will begin to fabricate the required brackets so that the tow bar will mate up with the Amigo. Should be an easy task.

Looks like we will have much more mobility in 2008, maybe we will try to make it to Quartzite this winter!

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gunner:

I am a big fan of REMCO driveshaft disconnects (at least the RWD propeller shafts). The only variable is whether the BMW has enough clearance around the tailshaft for the disconnect mechanism, which "hangs" beneath the shaft. Call 'em.

I used a Remco for years without the disconnect mechanism. Off-roading was just too hard on the bracket and linkage. Just got underneath and slid the collar by hand.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post