Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

New Owner
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 10/11
Picture of tvshmoe
posted
Hello everyone! Just purchased this 1974 20' Barth Motor Coach. I was extremely pleased to find Barthmobile.com. I have a feeling I will be spending many hours on here seeking help and advice and hopefully sharing my progress towards completion. The group assembled here seems to be helpful to each other and very knowledgeable as well. Thanks in advance for any help the community provides me. My wife and I aren't sure where this bus will lead us, but are looking toward a fun and exciting future with our new Barth.
Now to the needy part of the email. HELP!!!! Where do you find parts and replacement fixtures? I travel around a lot for my work so I figure I will be scouring the country's junk yards for parts. We want it to look original, but shiny, with all new furniture and fixtures. I looked for the automatic restore switch, but the original owner didn't get that option. I guess I'll have to actually do the work. The engine seems good, but has not started yet. Just began working on it yesterday. She wants to fire, but I think the fuel lines and tanks may have to be flushed. I do have a question about the instruments on top of the dash. Very peculiar. I understand the compass, but what is there an altimeter for? Someone said that maybe she flies at around 60mph. Chitty, Chitty, Barth, Barth!!! And the box to the left of the altimeter looks like a calculator with a play button on it. A remote for the tape deck I'm guessing.

The overall condition of the body is good. It seems like it is all aluminium. Wonder if it might be worth more as scrap?

The front drivers side windshield is cracked so if anyone has one I would be very interested in purchasing. Also need many of the compartment covers like the one below.

Here is the rear view of the Barth. Someone stuck a swamp cooler in the back. Must be a very frosty morning in the shower. It must go!

The interior isn't horrible, but it too must go.

Like I said we don't know if we are going to use this for business or pleasure, but I can't wait to head down the road! Any advice or help the community can give would really be appreciated.

Posts: 15 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Member Since: 10-20-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
http://barthmobile.com/eve/for...1063702/m/8723942467

Check this out.

Welcome to the group. We love pictures, keep them coming. You'll enjoy looking at these after you've made your renovations.

Check out Lee's http://barthmobile.com/eve/per...profile&u=7381077061 motor home. It looks like a mirror. His interior looks similar to yours & may have some ideas.

Looks like previous owner was a gadget guy.

Tere

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tvshmoe
posted Hide Post
Thanks Jim and Tere for the welcome. I look forward to hanging out on these pages looking at all the awesome Barths. Big plans for mine. Thanks for the link, but it was denied. It said I have no permission to look at public profiles. Odd.
Thanks

Posts: 15 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Member Since: 10-20-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 10/17
Picture of Lou
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the Forums!

You will find plenty of help on this site. We're all in this together and will help each other every time.

See if you can get a picture of your data tag. It could be behind the driver's seat on the wall or in that general vicinity. Also, once you become a member try "Chat." A lot of good info there.

Enjoy your Barth.

Lou

Posts: 467 | Location: Allegan, MI. | Member Since: 08-14-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tvshmoe
posted Hide Post
Thanks Lou. Found my datatag today near the drivers side wall. Still trying to figure out what the info means. Going to upload it next. Look forward to participating on the site.
Thanks Again,
Brian

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Picture of Mary Ray
posted Hide Post
Welcome Brian, I own a 1975 Barth and love it.

Mary

Don't mess with us old folks, we don't get old by being stupid!
1968 Barth trailer, 1975 Barth Motorhome and 1985 Barth Motorhome

Posts: 1603 | Location: Obion, TN/Memphis, TN | Member Since: 11-23-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
...It said I have no permission to look at public profiles. Odd.
Thanks

Not odd if you knew the policy here is no access until 10 posts. This can, however, be waived. email Bill NY (Bill_NY@Barthmobile.com) and ask for permission.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of petermac
posted Hide Post
Hey There
I have a 77 22ft coach working on it just completed the plumbing so feeling pretty good.
Good luck with your coach.
PeterMac

Posts: 31 | Location: Vancouver B.C. | Member Since: 09-02-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/17
Picture of Doorman
posted Hide Post
Brian, welcome to our forum. It is a Barth owners Haven. The wealth of info is priceless. Bill N.Y. is unbelievable in his effort and time he puts in on it, along with several others. The members are what make it great.
The picture shows the making of a great coach. There is a saying around here that with a Barth you can repair them faster than they fall apart. There is a lot of truth in that. You won't find many stick and staple M.H. that are worth the effort to restore. What you have is a quality built coach on an affordable to maintain chassie.
My advice is to start with the engine, change oil, get it running and moving, then new tires if your's are over 7 years old, Go thru the brake system, check and replace hoses,belts,fuel hoses and filters. Then go take some short day or overnight trips and enjoy using it. Hang out at the lake or up in the mountains. Get to Know your Coach. Then decide on changes.
If you invest $10 grand in your Barth it will be worth 5. If you keep it, use it, enjoy it , It feel like it is worth 20.

Doorman

1986 31' Regal -1976 Class C
454/T400 P30 -350/T400 G30
twin cntr beds - 21' rear bath

Posts: 1026 | Location: Dayton, Ohio | Member Since: 09-27-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
quote:
She wants to fire, but I think the fuel lines and tanks may have to be flushed. I do have a question about the instruments on top of the dash. Very peculiar. I understand the compass, but what is there an altimeter for? Someone said that maybe she flies at around 60mph.

The overall condition of the body is good. It seems like it is all aluminium. Wonder if it might be worth more as scrap?

First off, welcome.
Second, no five letter words like "Scr*p" Big Grin

You have the right idea with focusing on the mechanics. Not only will you get her running, but you'll have a better idea of what to do when it breaks down in some remote location (happens to the best of us). It's all part of the RV adventure.

The altimeter works off ambient air pressure, so it can tell you your relative altitude as long as it is rest to your known altitude. It can also tell you if weather is moving in while static. Low pressure usually wet, high dry.

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tvshmoe:
...It said I have no permission to look at public profiles. Odd.
Thanks

quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
Not odd if you knew the policy here is no access until 10 posts. This can, however, be waived. email Bill NY (Bill_NY@Barthmobile.com) and ask for permission.
...Or, if you post a picture of the data tag and coach I turn it on immediately. Big Grin

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tvshmoe
posted Hide Post
Thanks everybody for the great info. It's been very helpful. I have begun to remove the interior of my 74. I have big hopes and bigger challenges ahead. I have some great people working on it with me. We are carefully removing the cabinets for future sale or barter. Is anyone using mobile wind power with their Barth?
Thanks Bill for the informative and educational site. Your hard work shows. Thanks also for enabling my permissions!
Safe Travels
Brian

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/17
Picture of Doorman
posted Hide Post
Brian, Just to let you know, members love pictures of progress.
Doorman

1986 31' Regal -1976 Class C
454/T400 P30 -350/T400 G30
twin cntr beds - 21' rear bath

Posts: 1026 | Location: Dayton, Ohio | Member Since: 09-27-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tvshmoe
posted Hide Post
I have a feeling there will be many photos and videos to follow....Like this handle. Anyone know where to get one? Thinking about crafting a lightable one, but would love to find an original or repro.
Safe Travels

Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
You have a nice project underway. The good news is that when you're done you'll know it inside and out. Much less trouble to deal with "down the road" (literally!)

This site will be very useful. Welcome aboard.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5181 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post