Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Minnesota land of temperature extremes
 Login now/Join our community

"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of davebowers
posted
This land of Norwegian farmers, handsome kids and all find it hard to cope with extremes. It's a guilt thing..I being from California where, most and best is an expectation find it hard to refrain from mentioning that it has been over 90 degrees for 8 days in a row.

For those who find this a positive development, (snow is finally melting under the cedar tree in the backyard) well it certainly wasn't something we deserved and for those who find it a negative (too hot for lutefisk), at least it hasn't been this hot since 1982.

The problem here is that Minnesota food is cold weather food. Where ever you are, imagine it being 94 degrees and for lunch I serve you sliced pork on mashed potatoes with grave and green bean/mushroom soup casserole. For desert, (always desert) a green jello/Cool whip square which may have been embellished with a bag of chopped walnuts. Gotta eat it fast though because in about 5 minutes it will look like croupy snot...

Now if I were in Malibu (or El Segundo) I would have a nice endive salad with a raspberry/walnut dressing served with pita croûtons and a couple slices of smoked mozzarella washed down with a glass of nice Chablis.

But seriously, one thing that we have to look forward to, is in the next few days we will have this storm you see. Where far out in the west it will look like someone painted a strip of black ribbon on the horizon. Slowly the black will move toward us until we can see strips of wild electricity reminiscent of one of Ron's electrical experiments. Bill H's light sucker will be sucking big time and the pressure will be so high that motorhome tires will expand one inch horizontally.

The temp will start rising and the humidity will be so high we will comment on it. But not wanting to be serious it will be call "humiditty". "Well", we'll say with out moving our lips, "That ol' Humiditty it creeping up". As if the 96% it's been for the last 9 days has been Yuma'esque. Then the storm will hit. Every good show on TV will be interrupted just at the most important point. "I know who killed him and it is"....beep beep beep beep beep...."OK the radar over Bismark is showing a rotating cell and all you weenies out there should go in your basement or jump in your bath tub". That is so dumb. When ever they say to go to the basement, you know where I go....to the window. Man if we are going to have a tornado you think I am going to miss it by going to the basement. My wife a daughter yes...But me and the boys..when they lived here we'd get in the car and chase it...

But then again, I could be in Malibu..man I wonder when that storm is coming. Well let me look at one of the four weather websites, I have on my computer desktop and check out the streaming radar....

------------------

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by davebowers:

For those who find this a positive development, (snow is finally melting under the cedar tree in the backyard) well it certainly wasn't something we deserved and for those who find it a negative (too hot for lutefisk), at least it hasn't been this hot since 1982.

Dave, it is ALWAYS too hot for lutefisk.

I do miss Norwegian fruit soup, though.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post